The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 24, 2013, 08:15 PM   #1
Audioruss

Case sorting?

Should cases be sorted by weight or volume? Also, what is considered acceptable case to case variation. I am loading for .270 WSM for hunting. 400to 500 yard shots could be possible. The gun shoots well with factory ammo it is just not consistent enough, i.e., group size varies. .5 inch groups at 100 yards are commom but will throw the occasional flyer. Have been shooting federal premium ammuntion with 140 gr. Accubond. I am waiting on some Norma brass but have to use the federal for the next few months.

Russ

Last edited by Audioruss; March 25, 2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: more information
Old March 24, 2013, 08:20 PM   #2
Nathan

What caliber? . . .and what gun?

Basically, the answer is yes, but since it doesn't matter in guns which will shoot groups over 1" at 100 yards, I would say no.
Old March 24, 2013, 08:36 PM   #3
Jimro

If you are shooting for accuracy cases should be sorted by volume if possible, weight if not.

However it is possible to make accurate ammo just by sorting by brand as far as sorting cases goes.

Jimro
Old March 24, 2013, 09:56 PM   #4
603Country

When I was recently doing some accuracy testing with my 223, I did take time to compare accuracy from highly prepped and weight sorted cases of the same make versus unprepped cases of assorted make and weights. I had read that all that prepping and weighing didn't make much difference to accuracy, but I didn't really believe that. I found that with my rifle it did make a difference, but it wasn't a huge difference. The 15 shot groups with the unsorted and unweighed and unprepped cases were pretty decent but not as good as the sorted/prepped cases. If all a fellow wants is decent groups for hunting, I doubt that you need to work your tail off prepping and weighing cases. On the other hand, if you want max accuracy, and have a rifle that can deliver it, then sort em, weigh em and prep em. Can't hurt.

Nathan and jimro already said all that, but I just had to throw in my 2 cents based on testing.
Old March 25, 2013, 11:19 AM   #5
BigJimP

If you're talking about handgun calibers......I think its irrelevent...

I don't sort handgun cases by head stamp.../ I check them for condition or cracks after I clean them ....but nothing else. Every box of handgum ammo I reload ...is a mix-match of head stamps.
----------
The only time I would sort rifle calibers ...is for something like a bolt action rifle ...and for rounds that I intended to hunt with. I wouldn't sort anything for an AR ...or for just routine practice where "tactical accuracy" was fine.

"Bulls Eye" accuracy is different ...for "match ammo" so I would sort by head stamp in that case.

Last edited by BigJimP; March 25, 2013 at 11:29 AM.