The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 8, 2013, 12:31 AM   #1
bailey bud

caracal

I used to live in the United Arab Emirates - where I became a big fan of Caracal.

Noticed they've all but disappeared from
- gallery of guns
- gunbroker.com

Anyone know where I can find one, now?
Old March 8, 2013, 12:52 AM   #2
Chinny33

they might all be sent back to Caracal right now.

They just posted a recall saying that the gun can possibly "automatically discharge". Its a big deal! No joking!
http://www.caracal-usa.com/press/caracal-pistol-recall/

from what I am understanding, they're pretty much recalling every pistol they made recently. not good.
Proverbs 27:12
Old March 8, 2013, 01:58 AM   #3
TunnelRat

To my knowledge there are no new ones for sale at the moment. They are recalling all previously released ones (I believe the serial # range pretty much covers all the recent run). I find it odd that a design that has been out for years in Europe and the Middle East and passed the German police trials would have an issue with discharging when dropped . Regardless, the wind seems to have gone out of the Caracal sails for now. This is a pretty bad way to be introduced to the market, but maybe they can recover. After all, the Ruger SR9 was recalled for a similar problem.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 8, 2013, 02:03 AM   #4
shuler13

caracal

Caracals website has a list of distributors, but I assume they are trying to catch up on replacing the recalled pistols. That and everyone is out of everything common right now. It sure would be a great time for caracal to flood the market with both the F and C models.
Old March 8, 2013, 09:34 AM   #5
guncheese

not to mention the newest recall
was issued the end of Feb. recalling all the C models
as they had a slide come apart
so 2 wide spread recalls for a new company OUCH!!

http://www.caracal-usa.com/press/Rec...odel-C-Pistol/

http://www.caracal-usa.com/press/caracal-pistol-recall/
Old March 8, 2013, 10:55 AM   #6
TunnelRat

Quote:
not to mention the newest recall
was issued the end of Feb. recalling all the C models
as they had a slide come apart
Wow I hadn't heard about that.
Old March 8, 2013, 11:20 AM   #7
Venom1956

Shame. Pistol had such a great look and feel to it. Hopefully these recalls won't hurt it to badly.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 8, 2013, 11:36 AM   #8
kahrguy

I had a a C model and really liked it but desided to take advantage of the buy back . Got ever dime invested back and picked up a m&p9c. Added the apec kit and like it just as well as the caracal. After the last recall I will not own another caracal product. It is to bad.
Old March 8, 2013, 01:59 PM   #9
Fargazer

I've been looking forward to purchasing a Caracal - I tried one at Sevierville back when Waffen Works were importing them, and loved the feel of the grip and the trigger. Looks like I'll have to look carefully at what comes out of Caracal USA in the next few months before plunking down my money.
Old March 8, 2013, 03:20 PM   #10
shuler13

caracal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
Wow I hadn't heard about that.
I hadn't heard about the second recall but I bet it has to do with the posts from a guy in Pakistan who went to numerous boards with the same incident where the slide broke in half shooting either Russian or Chinese ammo. There were some pics but it didn't look like a normal kaboom.
Old March 8, 2013, 05:01 PM   #11
kahrguy

shuler13 You have to know that the barrel in that broken slide was fine!! It was not an ammo related problem. Its a metal in the slide issue.
Old March 8, 2013, 05:57 PM   #12
shuler13

caracal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahrguy View Post
shuler13 You have to know that the barrel in that broken slide was fine!! It was not an ammo related problem. Its a metal in the slide issue.
Or a tampered slide issue. Or one of a bunch of conspiracy theory. I need more than a case study. I need a trend.
Old March 8, 2013, 07:06 PM   #13
TunnelRat

Quote:
I need more than a case study. I need a trend.
You might, but apparently Caracal didn't, or they wouldn't have issued the recall.
Old March 8, 2013, 07:48 PM   #14
shuler13

caracal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
You might, but apparently Caracal didn't, or they wouldn't have issued the recall.
Yeah, I hear you. But they were already facing a PR nightmare for their voluntary recall already and then one guy posted on multiple sites about the same problem and got a lot of discussion. I don't blame them for being proactive to do a full investigation since they were doing a recall already. Just because the one case got a lot of attention doesn't mean any more than one case with little attention. I need a trend.
Old March 8, 2013, 11:24 PM   #15
+1k ammo

Quote:
Wow I hadn't heard about that

I had not heard of this either. I was wondering if my Caracal F was part of this so I called. Sure enough, the person told me my gun is part of the recall and will be on a list for the next shipment of replacement guns.
They will also send me an extra care package for the trouble.

Now it does look bad with all these recalls, b u t at least they are taking care of it and in a professional manner.

I can honestly say it does nothing to make me less enthused about the gun. I like it now and I'm sure I will like the repaired one as well. I don't have a lot of rounds through mine, but has worked perfectly so far and to me a very well made firearm.

I am in no hurry, but I will ship it back to them when the gun carton arrives and all will be good. I declined the option for them to buy back my gun.

Last edited by +1k ammo; March 8, 2013 at 11:32 PM.