The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 1, 2011, 02:09 AM   #1
TennJed

Questions and comments on potential reloading bench

I hope to start reloading soon and this is what I plan on using for a reloading bench. I have a question and would like feedback on any potential problems. I am very limited on space and funds.

The top measures 27.25" wide by 19" deep. I will attach the press to a block of wood and hope to keep all supplies in the shelfs and drawer.

It is actually pretty sturdy and well made. I used gorilla glue along with the supplied hardware when i assembled it years ago. It does have wheels though and this is where my question lies. I have read some people use 'rolling" benches and I like the idea of being able to move it. the wheel locks on it are not very good and I am afriad it may roll toward me when using the press.

What would be a good way to eliminate this without removing the wheels? I have thought about placing a few dumbbell weights on the bottom shelf to weigh it down.

Does anyone have any opinions on this or other problems? Do ya like it?

Thanks for helping a newb out!
Old May 1, 2011, 08:24 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

I still advocate bolting your press, or ANY press, directly to the Earth's core.

However, we make due....
Old May 1, 2011, 08:28 AM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I assume you'll have this against a wall wherever you use it? Put a swivel hook on each side of the cabinet and two eyelets in the wall...
Old May 1, 2011, 08:46 AM   #4
4runnerman

That Top appears to be a maple?. Very solid and strong wood,Good Start.I think what you have there will work just fine. As for the wheels moving,Try find a small peice of like rubber 1/2 thick,cut holes in center size of quarter and put under wheels. That will stop it from moving. I have a 3 by 4 foot table that i do my powder measuring and stuff on,but my single stage press is bolted to a Vanity just like yours(with no wheels). Works great for me.
Old May 1, 2011, 10:34 AM   #5
Marco Califo

Quote:
I still advocate bolting your press, or ANY press, directly to the Earth's core.
I happen to agree, but they did not have those 375 mile lag screws at Home Depot. So, I am temporarily using an old tree trunk.
Old May 1, 2011, 11:31 AM   #6
bearol63

I agree most important is stability of your bench for the press will torque it pretty good.
Old May 1, 2011, 11:38 AM   #7
shootniron

I think the cart that you are planning to use will work fine. I have actually gone from a stationary bench to a rolling computer cart for my reloading as it gets hot reloading in the garage during summer and with this cart I can just roll it into the house to reload in the comfort of A/C. I have four presses, 2 progressives, 1 turret and 1 single stage mounted to the cart and it is as stable as can be. I actually ran 5/4 deck boards along the edges to mount the presses on.

Last edited by shootniron; May 1, 2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old May 1, 2011, 01:55 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

If this is a "reloading with no room" issue, I would just deal with the problems presented by the cabinet and wheels. When I had to temporarily bolt my Rock Chucker to the top of an entertainment center (no room for reloading equipment), I just dealt with the tipping inherent to the "design". During steps that required moderate leverage, I leaned into the entertainment center with my left hand, while applying leverage to the handle with my right. It was a slower process, but got me by.

Peetzakilla's suggestion isn't a bad one.

Crankylove's reloading bench used to sit on 1.5" industrial casters. Even with more than 250 lbs of brass, bullets, and gear on the shelves under the bench.... It still wiggled and rolled around (it was big enough for tipping to not be an issue).

It really comes down to two choices:
1. Attach it to the wall, and/or get rid of the casters and put a bunch of weight in the bottom.
2. Deal with it.