The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old September 27, 2010, 02:04 AM   #1
gedenke

Moose gun...

Ok, so I've got an Alaskan moose hunt in the plans for next year. (c'mon Sept!)

Goin' out on a limb here and and I know I'm setting myself up for 15 different opinions, but...
Like to hear everyone's $.02 on selecting a new rifle (caliber). I initially thought .375 H&H, but after doing a little googling, maybe that's too much? I have a .270win that pretty much kills everything I've shot it at, including three elk and a couple of black bears. I've read that a well loaded 30-06 will do the job, which I'm sure is true with good shot placement. The -06 is a fantastic round. But what I'd like to get from you all, {especially those that actually have moose experience}, is what do you recommend? I have about $600 for a new boom stick (bolt-action), and want to go properly equipped with a quality rifle/caliber that goes far beyond this hunt. Let's not get into optics right now...that's another thread.

So far, I'm considering a .300mag, .338mag, or as mentioned above, the reputable .375 H&H. But do I really need a magnum? I can deal with recoil, but I ain't power hungry either. I like the Tikka, Brownings are nice and Howa has my attention, along with the obvious favorites like the 700s or the Model 70's. I'm still in the research phase so please give me some well informed, non-bias input. And tell me why you think so.

p.s. I'm a handloader...if that makes any difference.
Old September 27, 2010, 02:13 AM   #2
gedenke

I know the question will come up, so I'll add this: My personal definition of a "long shot" is 300-400yds. I can shoot farther, but I choose not to.
Old September 27, 2010, 03:39 AM   #3
Scorch

Moose are relatively easy to kill. I know a guy that lives in Alberta that shoots moose with a 25-35. Kills 'em dead, right now, no fuss. Having said that, a 30-06 will do the deed.

If you plan to be deep in bear country, then maybe the 338 Win Mag or a 375 H&H would be a good choice, but not because of the moose. I still say go for the 30-06.

If you really want the right answer, call your outfitter and ask him/her.
Old September 27, 2010, 08:33 AM   #4
Baryngyl

If I ever get lucky enough to be able to hunt moose I will probably use a 300 Win Mag loaded up with some 180 - 220 grain (weight will depend on what shoots best in my rifle) premium bullets or maybe a 458 Win Mag if I know all shots would be under 150 - 200 yards.

Why these? Because they are ones I own and know they could do the job.
As for what make/model of rifle it would have to be a Savage 110 as that is what I have.

Michael Grace
Old September 27, 2010, 08:39 AM   #5
DAVID NANCARROW

A 35 Whelan will do nicely too if ya dont want to fool with belted magnums
Old September 27, 2010, 08:54 AM   #6
kraigwy

Quote:
I have a .270win that pretty much kills everything I've shot it at, including three elk and a couple of black bears
Elk are a lot tougher then Moose, your 270 is more then heavy enough for Moose.

Now if you are looking for an excuse to buy another rifle then by all means, go for it.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 27, 2010, 10:04 AM   #7
jmr40

Load your 270 with good bullets and go hunting.
Old September 27, 2010, 11:33 AM   #8
longranger

.22 LR, they kill 900 lb Alligators with it why not a Moose?,seriously Moose guns begin with .30 cal + 2900 fps 180gr bullets for the Yukon kind of Moose.
You only have shoot one moose(Shiras in Montana) with a 7mm Mag have it walk like it was never hit for 100 yds and fall over dead in the middle of a pond, get the point that big is good bigger is better.
Thats my experinece, would never consider any thing less than the 300 Win. Mag./300 WSM up from there.
Old September 27, 2010, 12:04 PM   #9
one-shot-one

$0.02

If I was going & I had the extra cash, it would be the prefect opportunity to get a .338mag. I would only look at a .375 if i had future plans to go to Africa.
If I didn't have the extra cash i would take my .300WSM & call it good.
I see no reason to take a -06 over your .270, not going to gain much if any advantage.
Old September 27, 2010, 12:36 PM   #10
mete

The 375H&H is a very fine accurate cartridge and is used in Africa for almost anything .Excellent for moose and good medicine for grizzly !! 270 gr soft point. 338 Win , 35 Whelen are also great. Don't worry about 'too much' as long as you're comfortable with it.
Old September 27, 2010, 12:36 PM   #11
gedenke

I'm pretty confident that I could kill a moose with my trusty .270, no doubt. On a side note, I load 150gr Barnes TSX, which I've been quite impressed with. Anyway back on subject...

Quote:
...if you are looking for an excuse to buy another rifle then by all means, go for it.
Well, I didn't mention it before, (didn't want to brag), but the rifle is included in the deal. My old man is being "very generous" in picking up the bill for this hunt, so a new (or a good used) gun is in order!

Quote:
.30 cal + 2900 fps 180gr bullets
That pretty much eliminates the 30-06. Briefly looking at ballistics, that puts me in a .300 mag or better. I'm starting to lean towards the .300 for a "multi-purpose" large game round. I really don't see myself going after anything outside N. America. Grizz maybe one day but not anytime soon. My usual pursuit is deer, elk, and black bear.

Something else to think about, I have an old Arisaka sporter that is badly in need of a new barrel. I know that action (it's a type 38) is nuke proof and can handle anything that will fit in the mag well. Any ideas on that?
Old September 27, 2010, 01:06 PM   #12
hickstick_10

your 270 is more then enough gun.
Old September 27, 2010, 01:22 PM   #13
gedenke

Quote:
The 375H&H is a very fine accurate cartridge and is used in Africa for almost anything .Excellent for moose and good medicine for grizzly !! 270 gr soft point. 338 Win , 35 Whelen are also great. Don't worry about 'too much' as long as you're comfortable with it.
That's just it...I said I can "deal" with recoil... when hunting I don't feel it, what with excitement and adrenaline and all. But I love to shoot. I practice a alot and don't want a gun that I hesitate to put a bunch of rounds through. Is there a whole lot of difference between the mentioned "magnums"? I've shot a couple...(.375, not too bad, a .338 Lapua...), but never a .300. On the other hand, I've never owned one, maybe I should just try one and see how I like it?
Old September 27, 2010, 01:36 PM   #14
taylorce1

First off I'm envious, Yukon moose is a dream hunt of mine. I'm still waiting to draw that coveted once in a lifetime tag for moose here in CO. So I don't have any Moose experience but I have killed a few elk.

Having been to AK on a black bear hunt and knowing that Moose like swampy wet areas my first choice would be a Stainless Synthetic rifle of some sort or Teflon coated rifle. Is this a guided hunt? If so listen to your guide and his recommendations for gear and firearms. Plus if you are using a guide service I can't imagine any good guide not being able to get you well inside of 200 yards on a moose.

With your budget for a rifle unless you are willing to kick in a few extra dollars a .375 would be a hard rifle to find. You might find a good deal on a used .375 Ruger Alaskan but to get one for less than $800 new is tough. Plus finding a decent .375 H&H for under $1000 is difficult as well.

.338 Win Mag would make an excellent choice for most things you mentioned. And would be my first choice from all the cartridges you mentioned in your OP. The .338 offers a substantial step up in performance over the .270 much more than any .30 caliber magnum could offer.
Old September 27, 2010, 01:56 PM   #15
roberto mervicini

Moose is not hard to kill, to date 30/30 and 303 british kill more mooses north of the border than any other caliber combined. My son Eric and I we kill mooses with 30.06 loaded with 180 grain tip and .300 win mag and 300WSM also using 180 bullets. ( personally I do not like the short fat cartridge, but I admit Eric had lot of success with it. )
We have many caliber but the above one are the tools we most confortable with ... so they become our lucky rifles!!
Your .270 with a good tip of your choice from 130 to 150 grain will kill the moose as dead as our lucky guns!!!
But If you you like to acquire a new caliber rifle, by all means, go for it ! If you do not have a mag ammong your guns, the 300win mag (my lucky gun) is a pleasant cartridge to shoot, lot of power, so is the .338 mag, a little more punch also easy to shoot without major punishment... the .375H&H start to give you some punishment if you bench couple of boxes at the range, but ok off hand or from sticks rest. All 3 shoot almost as flat as your .270
Cheers
_______
roberto
Old September 27, 2010, 03:14 PM   #16
gedenke

Thanks for all the great input guys! Really been helpful. That being said, taking all the recommendations you've all given, and my own research, I just bought this:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=192250711

I've handled the X-bolt and I can say it is a very nice rifle, and I feel that this is a relatively good deal. Plus the RMEF logo kinda adds a nice uniqueness to it.

What do ya'll think?
Old September 27, 2010, 04:23 PM   #17
longranger

Oustanding choice at a very reasonable price.That 300 Win. Mag will do everything that your .270 would and then some with aplomb.Much better bullet selection as well.enjoy and post pictures of your hunt.
Old September 27, 2010, 04:33 PM   #18
markj

Moose can shoot guns? I am never going west again that 300 kicks a bit more than that 270, why hurt yourself? go with the 270 you already have had success with it on elk. or do you need an excuse to get a new gun? if so then please go ahead and get it that is a nice flat round with plenty of power behind it.
Old September 27, 2010, 04:36 PM   #19
gedenke

Mark, thanks for the reply, but perhaps you should look into post #16 above?
Old September 27, 2010, 09:19 PM   #20
RickE

If you need this rifle for other hunts (other than moose), don't go overboard. .330 or .338 are plenty, and almost too much for deer. Go with a heavier bullet in the .300.If you want to keep it under 200yards, get a .450 Marlin, with Leverrevolution ammo. Plenty of knockdown, and a cool gun.
Old September 27, 2010, 10:43 PM   #21
gedenke

One more time guys...PLEASE READ POST #16.

I can't believe I just quoted myself...ha ha!

...but thanks anyways for suggesting a lever gun, when what I was looking for was a bolt-action.

Last edited by gedenke; September 27, 2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old September 27, 2010, 11:40 PM   #22
Buzzcook

Thanks for telling us what you got. Good luck on the hunt.
Old September 28, 2010, 12:03 AM   #23
trooper3385

Good decision on the rifle and caliber you picked. I had the same decision a couple of years ago. I was going on a plains game hunt to africa and had a couple of guns that would get the job done, but I was looking for an excuse to get another rifle. I looked hard at used guns because I didn't want to fork out alot of money since I was still paying for the trip. I found an A bolt in a 300 win mag with a VXIII for around $600. The gun performed great. I found a couple of guns for about the same price in a 338 win mag. I really thought hard about getting one of those, but in the end I decided that the 300 would be plenty of power and I would still get some use out of it for deer hunting, which is what I mainly hunt. It's still a bit of an overkill for whitetail, but not nearly as much as a 338. It's always nice to have a larger caliber rifle sitting around for hunts like this that might pop up in the future.
Closed Thread