The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 30, 2015, 12:32 PM   #1
BerdanSS

Need some help Beaumont owners.

I know very little about these respectively. This one is a little rough on the outside, but has a beautiful bore. Everything is in working order and accounted for except for the cleaning rod which I'm told is very hard to come by here in the US. It's has the Wilhelm the III cartouche fully intact.

Its a beautiful looking black powder repeater IMO. But other than that....I'm completely blank. Can anyone tell me more? What are these worth? I read someplace about making brass for them, but can't remember the details.
Old August 31, 2015, 08:38 AM   #2
mapsjanhere

Well, if you want to shoot it you're in for some work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx3qT3S4jPk
Pretty good summary of what's needed to make the ammo.
Old September 1, 2015, 05:24 AM   #3
BerdanSS

Yes definitely plan on shooting it. I do like a challenge now and then. It will be more of a special occasion and possibly hunting rifle I've been doing a lot of reading since Sunday, and I have a buddy that's going to hook me up on some 50-90 sharps brass. I've always had an interest in the oddball and obsolete. Just happened to luck into this one for cheap. Information on them seems to be scarce though, and somewhat contradictory.
Old September 1, 2015, 03:05 PM   #4
gyvel

According to Cartridges of the World there are two different types of Dutch Beaumont rounds, and both are listed as similar to and "interchangeable" with the .43 Egyptian Remington round. Good luck finding .43 Egyptian...
SIFE
Old September 1, 2015, 07:04 PM   #5
BerdanSS

Buffalo has ample stock of .43 Egyptian but yikes! $6.80 a round
could of sworn I read someplace that somebody converted one to .43 Spanish. I do have some 11x52R on back order with buffalo, which I was told should be filled by next week. So at least I'll have some brass to work with. And I found a gentleman that will sell me some ready to load new star lines.

Also, I was toying with the thought of restoring the metal (all but the magazine) to the correct armory bright. The right way, not with a wire Brush on a drill since the patina isn't even or particularly nice as it is on some of my other antiqes. That and it's not a parts matching gun. I wouldn't touch the wood. I love it.

Last edited by BerdanSS; September 1, 2015 at 07:12 PM.
Old September 2, 2015, 10:13 AM   #6
kilimanjaro

Try Starline brass, they may have it.
Old September 2, 2015, 03:23 PM   #7
mapsjanhere

Only brass available seems to be Bertram at $4 each...
Old September 2, 2015, 08:55 PM   #8
BerdanSS

Yah I'm getting some new loaded ammo for $3.90 a round. I do need a front band retainer. I'm wondering if I can make a repro Springfield retainer spring work?
Old September 3, 2015, 09:42 AM   #9
gyvel

Quote:
I do need a front band retainer.
Look around. Take measurements and compare to other military retainers. It wouldn't surprise me if it were the same as a Dutch Mannlicher.
SIFE