The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old September 21, 2013, 01:20 PM   #1
Microgunner

Fatal shooting last night

A customer of ours just came in to redeem his pawned Taurus PT709 Slim and recounted this story to me.

Last night, while stopped at a light, an armed gunman surprised him at his driver's window with a .45 cal pistol pointed at my customer's head, demanding his money and Chevy Avalanche.

The driver raised his hands and agreed to the robber's demands but before he could get out of the truck the driver said the gunman began to press the trigger.

The driver had already reached down with his left hand to open the door but instead released the seat back just as the gunman fired, narrowly missing the driver's head.

The driver struggled with the gunman over the pistol but could not stop the gunman from friing so the driver opened the car door as hard as he could pushing his attacker back.

This gave the driver enought time to draw his legally carried Glock 19 and return fire as his assailent crawled into the truck.

The driver emptied his Glock 19 into the carjacker hitting him 16 times, then reloaded. The bad guy died, the driver was unhurt.

He was redeeming his Taurus because he had just got out of the cop shop and needed a carry piece because the Police aren't going to release his Glock back to him until Friday.

We looked at photos of the dead man on the driver's cellphone and looked at his bullet riddled truck. It was full of holes.

Chaulk up one more for the good guy.
Old September 21, 2013, 01:47 PM   #2
Mike38

The defender took pictures of the dead guy? Better hope an anti-gun Prosecutor doesn’t catch wind of this. Things could get real ugly real fast. It could be interpreted that this guy took the pictures as a “trophy” of sorts.
Old September 21, 2013, 02:07 PM   #3
Ben Towe

Quote:
The defender took pictures of the dead guy? Better hope an anti-gun Prosecutor doesn’t catch wind of this. Things could get real ugly real fast. It could be interpreted that this guy took the pictures as a “trophy” of sorts.
Perhaps, but it's a standard CYA move in car accidents to prove what the scene looked like in the event of court action. Probably a good idea in a shooting incident as well.
Old September 21, 2013, 02:29 PM   #4
Koda94

Microgunner, did you get permission from your customer to publish a detailed recount of the event on the internet?
I'm going to politely take the side of the fence that says it probably not a good idea before any decision from the DA, or after for that matter. I think Mike38 has a good point....
Old September 21, 2013, 03:05 PM   #5
Lost Sheep

Tactical mistake?

I see several tactical/legal mistakes, but will address only the first one specifically mentioned in the timeline. The driver's left hand.

If the driver really did agree to the carjacker's demands, dropping the hand out of the carjacker's sight is what (I speculate) prompted the first shot.

Solution: Tell the guy with the gun what you intend to do - no surprises.

I am glad your client came out unharmed.

Lost Sheep
Old September 21, 2013, 03:23 PM   #6
Microgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda94
Microgunner, did you get permission from your customer to publish a detailed recount of the event on the internet?
No, but he didn't seem to be having any trouble telling everyone about the incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Sheep
If the driver really did agree to the carjacker's demands, dropping the hand out of the carjacker's sight is what (I speculate) prompted the first shot.
This was my thoughts also.
Old September 21, 2013, 03:33 PM   #7
allaroundhunter

He emptied his topped off Glock 19 (15+1) and didn't miss a shot?

I don't care who you are or how much training you have, if you can do that with a gun in your face it is impressive.

Is there a news story?
Old September 21, 2013, 04:52 PM   #8
Microgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaroundhunter
Is there a news story?
Still searching for one.
Old September 21, 2013, 04:59 PM   #9
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaroundhunter
He emptied his topped off Glock 19 (15+1) and didn't miss a shot?

I don't care who you are or how much training you have, if you can do that with a gun in your face it is impressive.

Is there a news story?
From the (sparse) narrative, I cannot tell if the carjacker even had possession of the .45
Quote:
This gave the driver enought time to draw his legally carried Glock 19 and return fire as his assailent crawled into the truck.
but putting 16 of 16 rounds into a man-sized target at car-door distance is not all that difficult.

I have my thoughts about what a Grand Jury might find, but will let those opinions steep for a while before I discuss them.

Lost Sheep
Old September 21, 2013, 05:19 PM   #10
TheGoldenState

Take this down.
Old September 21, 2013, 05:37 PM   #11
Babychief

Where in central florida

volusia county? Where is your pawn shop located?
Where was he car jacked ?
Old September 21, 2013, 05:45 PM   #12
Microgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babychief
volusia county? Where is your pawn shop located?
Where was he car jacked ?
Tampa, Hillsborough County for both.
Old September 21, 2013, 05:50 PM   #13
Babychief

Tampa?

I dont think of west coast fl or st.pete and treasure island area as dangerous..wow..i live in volusia county and i thought daytona was bad
Old September 21, 2013, 06:14 PM   #14
Microgunner

we get our share.
Old September 21, 2013, 06:39 PM   #15
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
It is impressive, almost too impressive, don't you think? There are a lot of really amazing feats in the story where the hero does things that are all amazing. He could see the trigger being pulled at night and activate his seatback release to dodge a bullet. That must have been one really slow trigger pull, but seeing the trigger pull shows extraordinary night vision capability. He could then fight with the guy while the guy continued to fire, managing to control the gun, open the door, push him back, draw and fire his own gun where every single shot hit its target, all sorts of holes in the vehicle, come out of the incident completely unhurt, and even be told the day when his gun would be returned to him and yet none of this made the news.

That may be the story told to Microgunner, but it is awfully fantastic to believe at face value with no public information.
Old September 21, 2013, 06:46 PM   #16
Babychief

Where is news info

It isnt on any news here (Florida)
Old September 21, 2013, 08:02 PM   #17
Frank Ettin
Staff

Too little information and no corroboration from the media.

Nothing really to discuss.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread