The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 19, 2010, 11:30 PM   #1
tazz7002

benelli nova tactial...

what do you all think of benelli nova shotguns,18 inch barrel,,seems accs are hard to get...is this a pretty depedable gun...seems mag ext is hard to find
Old June 20, 2010, 12:27 AM   #2
colostomyclown

run what you brung. mag extension and tactical doodads mean nothing in the long run. a 5-6 shot pump that runs smoothe and reliable in the hands of a good shotgunner is devastating.
Old June 20, 2010, 07:36 AM   #3
jgcoastie

I had one, it's a good gun for its intended purpose... However I left mine in the gun cabinet for a few months and wound up selling it b/c I never used it.

I would recommend that you buy whatever shotgun you like, shoot the hell out of it and then decide what (if any) accessories you want/need. Buy the gun that fits you, like colostomyclown said; tacticool doo-dads aren't required to shoot and have fun.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old June 20, 2010, 11:53 AM   #4
Glock_19

I have a field version of a Benelli Supernova and I absolutely love it. After I got use to the long pump (because it accepts 3.5" shells) it cycles flawlessly. However, while I think it's a good gun I would say 90% of the reason I bought it was because it fit me like a glove. So for you I would say go hold a bunch of them and see what feels most comfortable to you.
Old June 20, 2010, 05:57 PM   #5
JNewell

How much do you really need for accessories? Mag extensions and sidesaddles are available...Limbsaver pads are available for the regular config stocks. Light mounts may be a little bit of a challenge but frankly they are for most pumps unless you either go with a replacement forend or like dangling cables.

The Nova/Supernova is boringly reliable. They are a little longer in LOA than others, due I think to their longer chambers.

There's a nice rebate in place now. I recently picked up a regular Nova with ghost ring sights for $325 after rebate, which is a great bargain, IMO.
Old June 20, 2010, 09:32 PM   #6
Glock_19

Quote:
The Nova/Supernova is boringly reliable.
Hmm... I never seem to get tired of my gun working. LOL