The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 23, 2007, 06:24 AM   #1
JBB

Best BP Substitute

I've been lurking and reading for several weeks now and the information I've gleaned from these posts has been invaluable. I am new to BP shooting and, as a matter of fact, am taking my Uberti '58 Remington to the range for the first time today. My question for the group is: which BP substitute do you prefer? I'm trying out some Pyrodex 30 gr. pellets the Bass Pro Shop fellow showed me, and I bought a jar of Shockey's Gold. Now I'm having second thoughts about my choices. I have local access to Goex Pinnacle, 777, Pyrodex, and Shockey's. Any advice?
Old December 23, 2007, 07:11 AM   #2
mykeal

Which car manufacturer do you prefer?

Blondes, burnettes or redheads?

Steak or venison roast?

Philly cheesesteak, burger, bratwurst or hoagie?

If I am out of real black powder I prefer loose 777. It's cleaner, consistent (in a revolver, don't use it in a flintlock rifle) and hotter than the others.

Using pellets in a revolver is not a good idea; they are not consistent enough and do not provide sufficient loading flexibility. They will make the gun go boom, however, so it that's all you want, go for it.

Then if you decide to get serious about bp, get on the internet and order some real black powder from Graf's or Powder, Inc.
Old December 23, 2007, 04:50 PM   #3
Pahoo

I too would not recommend using pellets or sticks, in my revolvers. Currently I am using American Pioneer and works fine. As noted, it's a matter of personal choice. It's kind of like voting for a politician. Most of the time I don't vote for who I like, but against who I don't like.

Bought an Old Army model a month ago and had to clean it right off. Sure would like to know what the guy who owned it shot as the residue was dry, fine and "No Corrosion". Clean up like new. Going to contact this guy and see what he shot.

Now, here come the push backs. I do not use or ever will use, B/P or Pyrodex as I have to much respect for my guns. You try it and it's your call.

I never tell a man what to do with his monwy or his wife; I may only recommend. ..
Old December 23, 2007, 10:45 PM   #4
Hawg

I prefer real bp but it's not available locally so I use Pyrodex. Pyrodex's reputation is undeserved IMHO. I recently left a fired 58 Remmy uncleaned for nine days and it didn't rust or corrode. Pyro is the cheapest of the subs at almost half the price of 777.
Old January 2, 2008, 10:08 AM   #5
Colduglandon

I am new to BP.

I tried 777 the other day, first time at the range with my CVA sidelock.

I cleaned the barrel with water on a patch per the instructions. I spent more time cleaning the area around the nipple from the cap residue.

The weather is horrible up here, and I did not spend a lot of time at the range in the cold stomping through the snow. I am sure that as the weather improves and I can spend more time at the range I may look for a less expensive alternative. If I am going to spend the day at the range, I won't mind investing more time in cleanup.
Old January 12, 2008, 07:28 PM   #6
long rider

Bp Substitute

MY bp substitute of choice at this moment is goex pinnacle, i did not like
pyrodex it has a slow ignition. I have not tried jim shockey's gold, if you
have let us know how it shoots.
Shoot Safe Long Rider.
Old January 12, 2008, 10:45 PM   #7
Hawg

Nothing slow about my ignition and I sometimes use RS.
Old January 13, 2008, 02:08 AM   #8
marcseatac

Triple Seven for me, it's very well worth the higher price. I think if a person really evaluates and compares the different offerings 777 wins. Anyone who hasn't tried it is doing themselves a real disservice. IMO
Old January 13, 2008, 07:02 AM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
Triple Seven for me, it's very well worth the higher price. I think if a person really evaluates and compares the different offerings 777 wins. Anyone who hasn't tried it is doing themselves a real disservice. IMO
It may be but I can't see paying 11 bucks difference per pound to find out.
Old January 13, 2008, 09:40 AM   #10
Jbar4Ranch

Pyrodex is my LAST choice. Unlike Hawg Haggen's experience with it, if I can't clean immediately and thoroughly, the gun is bleeding rust everywhere the next day or two. Take into account I live in a very dry climate too, go figure. I use gennywine black and APP.

SASS 47015
Old January 13, 2008, 11:12 AM   #11
Hawg

I live in the deep South, hot and humid. I do usually usually clean after I shoot but sometimes don't get to it for two or three days. I did the experiment on the Remmy just to see how long it would go. I checked it every day and at the end of nine days the bore and chambers were getting a white film. I went ahead and cleaned it then.
Old January 13, 2008, 04:17 PM   #12
Pahoo

Best ???

"Whatever meets or exceeds your expectations"
Old January 19, 2008, 07:57 PM   #13
RJM

Walmart was selling their Pyrodex and 777 during a huge sale at the end of muzzleloading season. I think Pyrodex was 11 bucks and 777 was 15.00 or 14.00 per lb., can't really remember. I bought the store out of the 777 because I have found it to be extremely consistent and easy to clean up. This is shooting it out of a Ruger and a Hawken rifle. Great stuff.
Old January 20, 2008, 04:27 PM   #14
BIGR

I have used Pyrodex, and 777 in the past, but got tired of the mess that went along with those powders. Started using a powder named clean shot (now American Pioneer) years ago. The American Pioneer powder is similar to that Shockley powder you bought. It burns clean, does not smell like sulphur, is non corrosive and cleans up real easy. It shoots accurate enough in my TC Omega for deer hunting. All those deer I killed while using it never knew the difference between it and Pyrodex. Whether or not it will obtain the same velocity as Pyrodex is another question, but for deer hunting I couldn't ask for a better powder. The powder discussion is alot like brand and caliber discussions, everyone has their preference. Good luck on your decision.
Old February 4, 2008, 01:30 AM   #15
JJBlanche

I don't have a whole lot of experience, but I use 777. 15% faster velocity than other powders, and cleaner. My father has been into muzzleloading for decades...started before any of the subs were available. He, too, now uses 777.
Old February 4, 2008, 08:04 AM   #16
grymster2007

So far, I've only tried Pyrodex. I have an old can someone gave me. Clean up isn't too bad and so far, not rust on my gun. But I think I will pick up some 777 and maybe some of the AP if I can find it.

Might be taking the Remmy out this week! I know some of you shoot real often, but I don't seem to have much time, so it's always exciting.
Old February 4, 2008, 09:10 AM   #17
sundance44s

I say forget the subs and go with real black powder ..makes the experience much more fun ...aw the smells and the flames and smoke ain`t nothing like it ....and with the high price of the subs ..shouldn``t cost as much .
Old February 19, 2008, 10:04 PM   #18
mthom1957

Best BP Substitute

I have used black powder, pyrodex, 777, american pioneer( shockey's gold) and black mag3 and without a doubt black mag3 beats them all considerably. You can shoot all day without swabbing between shots it has more power than the rest and at the end of the day cleanup is a breeze and if you dont clean your weapon right away that's not a problem as this stuff won't start rusting or corroding. I have not tried this experiment yet but the manufacturer claims it will recover after getting wet. I still have some pyrodex and 777 and use it periodically just to use it up but I use black mag just about exclusively. The only down side to black mag3 is it's availability.
Old February 21, 2008, 12:15 PM   #19
Pahoo

mthom1957
Years ago, I used Black Mag and when I went to buy more, my supplier folded and so did this manufacturer. Have not seen any around her. Where do you get yours and what are you paying? Personally, to varying degrees, I like anything except Black Powder and Pyrodex. Lately I have been shooting a lot of 777 in my in-lines and Shockey in my traditionals. Thanks for your input !!

Be safe !!!
Old February 21, 2008, 09:51 PM   #20
scrat

i have used both tripple 7 and pyrodex. I prefer goex though. It just seems easier to clean up and cheaper in my area. a bottle of 777 will run 22.00 while goex is 17.00. So go figure im staying black.
Old February 23, 2008, 12:03 AM   #21
shortwave

new powder called blackhorn 209 looks to be very good for inlines with closed 209 ignition system. rave review by independant shooter on different forum. supposed to put 777,pyrodex, and other b/p/ subs. to shame in various areas. i haven`t seen any here on shelf yet but will be trying some as soon as i can find it. Pahoo, fyi blackhorn 209 sounds scarely comparible to black mag. think its possible different company same stuff?
Old March 6, 2008, 10:54 PM   #22
mthom1957

Best BP Substitute

BlackHorn 209 is not even remotely similar to any other bp substitute, it is a hollow tubular powder somewhat shaped like IMR smokeless powder and designed specifically for 209 primed rifles, which means it takes a hot primer to ignite it consistently.