The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 31, 2002, 12:45 PM   #1
klh8

Powder residue on cases for 308 loads

Well,I am scratching my head.Need some info from you experts out there.
Had 3 loads loaded for my 308 700 varmint special using the 125gr sierra spitzer bullet,using BLC(2)powder.
The 2 lower velocity loads(2800fps and 2900fps)had black powder residue on the rims (fairly heavy) and some on the body.
Now,the load for 3000fps,the cases looked normal aftering firing.They were pretty clean.
What is going on?
All loads grouped well.The 2900fps cut a 3 shot clover leaf with 1 flyer.No signs of high pressure.Primers looked ok and saw no evidence of the primers leaking.Extractions also were good on all loads.
Could it be head space?
Is this anything to worry about?
Thanks alot
Paul
Old August 31, 2002, 01:12 PM   #2
swifter...

Paul,

It sounds like your rounds are not generating enough initial pressure to seal the chamber. Not a big deal or a problem.

Tom
Old August 31, 2002, 01:20 PM   #3
HSMITH

It is possible that you have set the shoulder back too far if you full length resized these or of they were fired in a rifle with a shorter chamber. Even with mild loads it is uncommon, and should not happen again if you just neck size the brass before leading again.
Old September 5, 2002, 06:01 AM   #4
Khornet

I see this from time to time

in '06 bolt guns and M1. The loads performed fine, tho. I think the cause is a delay in full expansion of the brass, allowing some gas to flow around it before it seals, as stated above.