The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 12, 2013, 12:08 AM   #1
chris in va

Magazine question.

Please, take this at face value.

What are the uses for 30rd + magazines? Hog hunting, competition?

I prefer the 20rd at the range, just curious what the practical uses are for larger mags. I mainly want an answer to give when someone asks me why we 'need' larger mags. Right now I'm drawing a blank but want to hear from others what they use them for.
Old January 12, 2013, 12:09 AM   #2
jimbob86

The .mil seems to like them. Ask them.
Old January 12, 2013, 12:11 AM   #3
tahunua001

practical uses are using the rifle longer without reloads. it's nice to have around when you're shooting competition and plinking and it can save your life in a firefight. for those of us non M&P members we will probably never NEED this but I would rather have something and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Old January 12, 2013, 12:12 AM   #4
slim9300

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in va View Post
Please, take this at face value.

What are the uses for 30rd + magazines? Hog hunting, competition?

I prefer the 20rd at the range, just curious what the practical uses are for larger mags.
The same as the reason for the second amendment: Protection from tyranny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 12, 2013, 12:12 AM   #5
Carne Frio

I too prefer the 20 rounders for my .308's, AK's and AR's.
I still have a bunch of 30 rounders and even 40's for the AK's
Old January 12, 2013, 12:35 AM   #6
BarryLee

Well, I’m genuinely not trying to be a jerk, but I use 30 round magazines - because I want to. We live in a free society where law abiding citizens have a right to enjoy shooting firearms of all types without feeling we need to justify this to anyone.

On a more practical note I shoot at public ranges where I pay for range time, so I like to load up three or four 30 round magazines at home. That way I spend less time at the range and save a few bucks for Chick-fil-A on the way home.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 12, 2013, 12:41 AM   #7
chris in va

I fully understand the 'because I want to' statement. Problem is, it doesn't register with the people I may run across.
Old January 12, 2013, 12:43 AM   #8
MMV.30

Tahunua001 said it best" Better to have something and not need it than to need something and not have it."
Old January 12, 2013, 12:55 AM   #9
BarryLee

Quote:
I fully understand the 'because I want to' statement. Problem is, it doesn't register with the people I may run across.
Yes, I have run into the same problem and I am shocked at how nonchalantly people are willing to just wave away Constitutional rights. I fear people are losing all concept of freedom and do not realize that part of being free means allowing others to do things you may not agree with.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 12, 2013, 02:43 AM   #10
Hairbag

Roving bands of armed thugs after a natural disaster like hurricane katrina and not depending on the goverment to come save you
Old January 12, 2013, 05:29 AM   #11
Metal god

What I keep hearing is , why do we need a 30rd mag ? it's not about need . just because you don't need something , that shoud not proclude you from owning it . Nobody in the US "NEEDS" a car that goes faster then 75 mph so why do people own them . The list is endless of things we want and don't really need .

Quote:
Originaly posted by pelo801

I think we should move away from this argument of need. It's not about need, it never was and never will be. Putting yourself in this argument is putting yourself against the ropes from the start. It's about choice. This is what I choose and that is where we need to steer the argument. I don't need to justify to anyone what I choose to own. Why do we feel we need to give people the power to delegate what our needs are by trying to justify them? That is an argument on their terms.

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 12, 2013, 05:34 AM   #12
chadio

Some (me included) like the 20's better - mainly for shooting prone. Plus they take up less room in the range bag
Old January 12, 2013, 08:06 AM   #13
BPowderkeg

i NEED a 30 round mag because it seems i always NEED that 21st or 22nd round to finish off that damn mouse !!!!

Old January 12, 2013, 09:41 AM   #14
Alabama Shooter

Prairie Dog/ varmint hunters/ ranchers use 30 round magazines.

Nearly all shooting competitors who shoot ARs use 30 rounders.

Police use 30 rounder magazines. Historically there is zero justification for a police officer to ever "need" 30 rifle shots.

Military uses them. In the days of endless wars and budget cuts to the Army in the field some soldiers now do their own training because the military can not afford it. Same applies for private security, police and other security forces.

With some weapons (AKs) it is difficult or impossible to find magazines that are NOT 30 rounds.

Armed militias use them. While not legal everywhere some places have armed militias and those "units" which are privately funded use them.

Used in film and TV productions.
Old January 13, 2013, 01:51 AM   #15
LRChops

I carry eight 30 round magazines at work. 30 round mags are a necessity if I were to get into a fire fight! Better to have more than not enough! More than likely would never need more than one magazine, but in this day and age you never know! There are some whacked people out there who cannot control thier emotions and shoot at cops, take hostages, shoot up schools, there are armed gang members with machine guns in every metro area! I always want to be 10 steps ahead of the people who intend to do us harm!

Also if there is ever a natural disaster that decimates a city, there will be mass looting, riots, out of control criminal activity which is also a threat. Better have plenty of AMMO and be mentally prepared for what is coming!

Then there is the possibility of a terrorist attack. Maybe an attack at our borders!!!! Our borders are currently volitile with drug cartel shootings daily!

Look at Los Angeles, Stockton, Oakland, Detroit, New York, and so on! The cops are in shootings with bad guys on a daily basis!!!! GANGS, DOPE, INstitutionalized convicts, 2nd strikers, murderers, all the people who would murder you in a heart beat and not give a damn!

This is why I carry 30 round magazines. Because I do not live in denial!
Old January 13, 2013, 10:12 AM   #16
Marquezj16

Simple math in my case.

7 x 10 = 70

7 x 20 = 140

7 x 30 = 210

Which would you rather have?

Even kids would know the answer.
Old January 13, 2013, 12:13 PM   #17
runningbear

I wonder how many who go to there ranges to shoot, load them up full? Myself I put 15 rounds at the most. Keep in mind I am not asking in regards to ones home defending plan or hunting.
Old January 13, 2013, 12:44 PM   #18
Alabama Shooter

When I go to a range I load all the larger magazines at -2 that I plan on shooting before I leave the house. Loading at the range wastes a lot of time.
Old January 13, 2013, 12:53 PM   #19
runningbear

I agree and I always also have my Mags loaded before going to the range. Just one less item to mess with when there. Many time the weather is not really good. In the summer it's hot in winter it's cold. Or it's the wind blowing like crazy. So if I can get my shooting done and get going I am glad not to stop and reload a bunch of Mags.
Old January 13, 2013, 01:23 PM   #20
chris in va

Ok so far I have varmint control, range use, competition and natural disaster protection.

I'm only interested in 'civillian' use BTW. We all know military/LEO can procure whatever they want and aren't subject to bans.
Old January 13, 2013, 01:39 PM   #21
m&p45acp10+1

I always awnser the same way.

What is the use/need for one owning a hot rod? You know it is not like you are going to have to drive as fast as that car can go to get away from the police, or some hit squad of G-Men.

Why do you need a Chevy Suburban to drive you and the wife around? You know it just hogs gas, emits huge amounts of emissions destroying the air quailty. Why not drive a 100 MPG smart car instead?

Or maybe you just say it is none of you buisness why I decided on what I did. I have what I have, and do not have to justify it to you, the government, or anyone else for that matter.

Oh wait you did not atualy NEED those, you liked them, wanted them, and could pay for them. Hence you have them. Oh yea there is that thing called a free market in the USA. You do not have to have a legitimate need to buy something to actualy buy it, and own it.
Old January 13, 2013, 01:42 PM   #22
Destructo6

Because it is what the military uses.

Because there is no "sporting purpose" clause in the Second Amendment, there is no legitimate reason to justify "need" in regard to sports, hunting, or what have you.

If you try to do so, I believe it is a losing proposition.

Keep all of them clean.
Old January 13, 2013, 01:45 PM   #23
LRChops

When I go to the range for training, we generally do not shoot more than 50 rounds. No need to! Our qualifications involve maybe 20 rounds, sometimes up to 50 when we do move and shoot drills with mag changes. No need to burn up a lot fo ammo to be proficient.
Old January 13, 2013, 01:54 PM   #24
TheDoubleDeuce

I just want to point out the widespread misuse of terms in this thread.

You said Magazine, but you meant Clip.
You said Rifle, but you meant Assault Weapon.
You said Shooting Range, but you meant Homicide Practice Area.
You said Armed Thugs, but you meant Psychologically Unstable Harmless Citizens.
You said Self Defense, but you meant Aggressive Excessive Force.

Carry on.
Old January 13, 2013, 01:57 PM   #25
runningbear

I agree with LRChops I also shoot maybe 100 rounds. I see no real need or use to just keep shooting and shooting. I am mostly checking my arms and checking the optics.