The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 24, 2012, 04:03 PM   #1
DPAZ

Approximate value on S/W .32 Model 31

A friend just came across a Smith & Wesson .32 caliber blued Model 31 Regulation Police w/4 inch barrel. Above average condition. Purchased in 1955 new, original box, manual and warranty card.

Not looking to sell, just trying to get an approximate value. Might be willing to sell depending on answer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32.jpg (104.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg box.jpg (66.6 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by DPAZ; June 24, 2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Add pictures
Old June 25, 2012, 09:59 PM   #2
carguychris

Assuming the gun is what you describe, and has been fired but not very much, I could see $425-$475.

However, I don't believe this gun was made ca. 1955.
  • The manual should not have model numbers printed in it, since the model numbering system was introduced in 1957... but it could be a repro manual.
  • There is a line of small text between the words "SMITH & WESSON" and "SPRINGFIELD, MASS." on the box; it should read "A Bangor Punta Company". Bangor Punta bought S&W in 1966... but it might not be the original box.
  • The proportions of the gun look like the longer J frame, whereas a 1955 gun would normally have been built on the slightly shorter (end-to-end) Improved I frame. If there is a "M31-1" marking inside the yoke cut, it is a J frame and is therefore 1961 or later production.
  • A 1953-early 1966 M31 should have a "flat" (i.e. non-scalloped) cylinder release latch, specifically the so-called 2nd variation flat latch with rounded front edges.
  • The stocks lack the diamond center escutcheon, have a yellowish color rather than a deep cinnamon color, and have shallower checkering than typical 1950s stocks. They are certainly post-1968 and look mid-1970s to me... although they may not be original to the gun.
Also, although the RH side of the gun is not visible in any of the pictures, 1955 .32 Long I frames usually have a 5-screw frame with a top sideplate screw and a screw under the front of the trigger guard. The top sideplate screw was phased out in late 1955, but most 1955 .32 Long S&Ws reportedly have one.

This is a long way of saying that I believe this gun is 1970s production. That said, I estimate value around $350-$375.

The early postwar I frames have so many subtle variations that collectors have to buy quite a few guns to claim them all, which has driven values up.

Last edited by carguychris; June 26, 2012 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Corrected date of model numbering system
Old July 11, 2012, 11:35 PM   #3
DPAZ

Thank you very much for sharing so much info. I am always amazed at the knowledge base, and the generosity to share it, that I find in this forum.
Old July 12, 2012, 09:05 AM   #4
carguychris

What is the serial number?

IIRC I/J frame .32s were numbered consecutively until S&W started using an "H" prefix when the 1968 GCA went into effect; IIRC the serial numbers were in the high 800,000 range when the switch was made. All S&W handguns were switched to the present 3-letter 4-number system in 1982. This should help narrow down the production date if you don't want to post the number.