The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 23, 2009, 12:10 AM   #1
Tex S

1911 slide not locking after last round

I have been loading 200gr LSWC over 5.3gr of W231. They function and shoot great. I just picked up some 185gr LSWC and loaded them with the same 5.3gr charge. The recoil is noticeably lighter and now the slide will not remain locked open after the last round. I thought this was strange since I am not using an extremely low powder charge, and we are only talking about a 7.5% decrease in bullet weight.

Do yall think this is out of the ordinary?
Old November 23, 2009, 01:47 AM   #2
spleify

Did you try shooting any 200gr again after the malfunction with the 185's? It seems unlikely that the change in bullet grain would cause this but I suppose it is possible.

I would try asking this in the smithy forum, or even the semi-auto forum.

HTH

Good luck
Like us on Facebook
Old November 23, 2009, 09:17 AM   #3
rwilson452

I could be the mag spring is weak.
Old November 23, 2009, 10:12 AM   #4
Walkalong

If it is not locking back now it is the mag or the load is just a little to light and the slide isn't coming back (compressing the spring) all the way.
Old November 23, 2009, 10:33 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Yuppers to that. You've simply passed the threshold where the recoil spring needs to be lightened. You'll have noticed the recoil now feels mushier because the slide isn't getting all the way back to bang against the frame. If you hold the gun out with really stiff arms and an extra hard grip, the slide will probably stay back because you aren't letting the frame move under it as much. Not a comfortable way to shoot and it promotes shooter's elbow when you grip too hard.

This is a very common result from reducing bullet weight. People forget that not only has the bullet mass reduced, but with it, Newton's equal and opposite reaction force for the powder to build pressure against has reduced. As a result, even with the same powder charge, the gun is now throwing a lighter bullet using a lower peak pressure. It's that combination that cuts recoil disproportionately to bullet weight alone.

The .45 ACP was originally designed by Browning to use a 200 grain bullet. Development testing resulted in it being changed, but even though that was all done by the time the 1911 came along, I still find that gun has its broadest functional load energy range using the 200 grain bullet weight. It will let you go from a moderate target charge to hot +P and still operate the 5" 1911 with its standard 16 lb recoil spring.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; November 23, 2009 at 10:39 AM.