The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 26, 2002, 06:49 AM   #1
frbank6

Browning HP extractor trouble

I have an Argentine Contract FN HiPower with the internal type extractor. At the range, it had a lot of extractor problems. It didn't seem to be magazine related, as the same mags worked fine in another HP. Should I just get a C&S extractor to install, or are there other things I should try first? I also wondered if a stronger recoil spring would be a good idea.(Seems a little weak compared to the new one I have.)
Old August 26, 2002, 02:37 PM   #2
Joe Portale

You never stated what type of problem you are having. Are the empties stove piping, double feeding or what?

I would try the new recoil spring first, it is the cheapest. But, I have found that 90% of the time with these older surplus HPs the problem is with the extractor.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

"Even now in heaven there are angles carrying savage weapons".
- St Paul
Old August 26, 2002, 05:24 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those extractors are like the 1911 extractors in that they can sometimes lose tension. "Tuning" by putting the rear end in a vise and tapping the front can correct the problem for a time, but I would try to buy a new extractor if that is what you determine it needs.

Jim
Old August 27, 2002, 06:19 PM   #4
frbank6

Sorry for not explaining adequately; The fired brass would be present in the chamber, partially extracted, and the fresh round would be stripped out of the mag, blocked from feeding by the empty brass. Sounds like its slipping out from under the extractor before reaching the ejector.
Old August 27, 2002, 09:49 PM   #5
Joe Portale

You can try what Jim said about bending the extractor inwards a bit to see if that will help. The Argitine HPs were/are the rage at work. ABout ten guys ran out and got theirs from a local gun store that picked up a shipment. I have seen about four of them so far for extracting problems. (I'm the resident gun-geek in the office) These needed extractors. Funny thing was the hooks don't look like they were worn out. The hooks looked like a botched tuning job.

Good luck. Once you get the exttractor problem squared away, you will fall in love with that pistol.

"Even now in heaven there are angles carrying savage weapons".
- St Paul
Old August 28, 2002, 07:15 AM   #6
frbank6

Thanks for the information. I just bought a C&S extractor. Is this something best left to a professional, or can I install it? I also got a 18.5 lb. recoil spring. Is that preferable to the stock 17? I don't shoot +p or +p+ in this pistol.
Old August 29, 2002, 05:57 AM   #7
frbank6

C&S e-mailed to say these are back-ordered. Any other source for internal extractors?