The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 3, 2001, 06:36 PM   #1
Will Beararms

Cr Systems Tactical Brush Rifle

As many know, I picked up one of those Remington 710's in .320-06. If you haven't gotten one yet, don't. In any event one of the main things I hated about it was that horrible Bushnell 3-9 x 40 with the Micro Thread Crosshair system guaranteed to fade out in any power greater than three or any time the sun is out.

The trigger on the thing is the only thing that had any redeemable value. It shoulders well also. In any event, I was in a local meglamart the other day fondling scopes when I came across a 4X scope meant for a shotgun. The scope has the same 1/4" adjustments as any other scope and I later found out that the particluar manufacturer, Bushnell sets the parallax at 100 yards on all low power scopes anyway. Additonally, if the thing is designed for a 12 gauge shtogun then I think it will be able to take the punishment of a .30-06.

The reticle system is a circle x meaning there is a circle in the center. This lends itself to sighting very well in environments where there is dense undergrowth, heavy foilage or alot of brush in my humble opinion. For shots up to 75 yards, a 4X is all you need and it can be rapidly deployed at those close-in 40 yard shots as well.

So now I am taking this 710 and trying to make lemonade with it. The first stage is the scope and who knows what else will come. CR Sam has suggested that we call it a Tactical Brush Rifle and sell it for an outrageous sum. 'Sounds good to me. I will keep everyone posted.
Old December 4, 2001, 11:00 PM   #2
Will Beararms

WOW! I had the scope mounted and on the box of the scope it had something to the effect of "Bushnell Banner Dawn to Dusk" and boy do they mean it! This thing picks up light and allows instant target verification with the same eye relief of a normal scope so the sight can be acquired as you always would.

I did notice that at the front of the scope, the part where you put your eye stays wider longer before it tapers down to the 1" section of the tube. Maybe this accounts for the wide field of view, excellent light gathering and instant acquisition.

I can see this scope as an excellent addition to a 30/30 lever action of single shot NEF handi rifle in a slower caliber. I just can't see putting a Leica or a Leupold on a Renington 710.

I can see it now in the headlines: The Brush Rifle ------ a new development in close range whitetail hunting.
Old December 4, 2001, 11:41 PM   #3
ajacobs

I have the same scope on a mini -30 and they are an excellent value. Perfect for conbined use of short and longer range as you mentioned. I think they even call it the brush reticle.