The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 10, 2002, 10:36 PM   #1
Doctari

CZ-75B feed prob

Howdy,

I have a new CZ-75B, Nickel finish that I am having a slight problem with. When firing the gun the slide will occasionally lock back all the way. A fresh round is still in the magazine all be it moved slightly forward, and the slide is locked back to the rear.
When this happens if I just depress the slide realase the slide goes forward loading the next round and gun then functions correctly. It seems like the slide stop is engaging the slide from just force of recoil. Thus locking the slide to the rear.

In looking at the mechanism it appears the slide stop is activated by a nich in the forward edge of the magazine follower. However the magazine still has rounds in it so the follower is down in the magazine nowhere near the slide stop. This can happen with multiple magazines.

Anyone have any thoughts on why this is and what to do to fix it?

Thanks,
Mike
Old January 10, 2002, 10:40 PM   #2
railroader

You might have a weak slide stop spring. Recoil can make the stop pop up enough to catch the slide. You could try calling Mike the gunsmith at cz. He's very helpful. Mark
Old January 11, 2002, 10:30 AM   #3
3 gun

I've seen a case like this twice (a Glock 24 and my CZ75 compact) that was caused by the same problem. The round that didn't load hit the slide stop. It only happened with heavier bullets weights, but would happen with all of the mags and at any time during the shot string. A little careful reshaping of the slide stop ended the problem. Changing bullet weights and styles also worked, which is the easiest way to check for this problem. Compare the 147gr round on the left with the 115gr on the right and you can see how styles and weight can cause this problem.
Opportunity knocks..Trouble kicks down the door.