The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 3, 2013, 03:35 PM   #1
e-mishka

Sig 556r 7.62x39 ammo choice

Really interested in this rifle, but before I commit I want to find out about ammo options.
What type of ammo runs good in it, wolf, silver bear, surplus ?

Last edited by e-mishka; June 4, 2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old June 5, 2013, 02:27 PM   #2
blfuller

Probably will eat anything you feed it. Make sure you get one that has all the latest factory modifications.
Old June 5, 2013, 07:25 PM   #3
VTRich

I have one and love it! I stocked up on Silver Bear before everything got crazy and that is all I have shot through it so far. Not one malfunction, although the red dot sight died after about 150 - 200 rounds. I have not sent it back to Sig yet, as I had another red dot to put on the gun.
Old June 6, 2013, 08:45 AM   #4
Bacteriophage

From what I heard, the magazines are the most likely point of failure. Also, when I was shopping around for 7.62x39 ammo recently, I noticed that the Hornady SST stuff is relatively cheap right now. 50-75% of the price of comparable .30-30 and .223 ammo, probably because it's steel-cased. Not as cheap as the imported stuff, of course.
Old June 6, 2013, 03:15 PM   #5
Nephilim-777

I've thrown everything at mine and it ate them all. I tossed the provided Bulgarian magazine and use older Bulgarian magazines that utilize steel feeding lips. You'll get an el-cheapo Bulgarian like mine, or a Tapco. They'll run, but I wouldn't count on them, especially if you really heat up the weapon.

Make sure you pick up a Gen2 556R that is recognized my its non-collapsible, folding stock.
Old June 6, 2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Nephilim-777

BTW I recommend staying away from Ukrainian Wolf for now. Corrosive primers have showed up in some lots and you don't want to play Russian Roulette and rust out a brand new 556R. Its not worth the risk, or you'll need to take your corrosive precautions after every usage. TulAmmo, anything from Barnaul (Silver, Brown Bear) and Golden Tiger are your best options for now IMO.
Old June 7, 2013, 10:16 AM   #7
tulsamal

Quote:
Make sure you pick up a Gen2 556R that is recognized my its non-collapsible, folding stock.
True! Make sure you get the newer version with the upgrades. They should work with any ammo.

Gregg