The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 18, 2013, 08:57 AM   #1
'88Scrat

Modern Day Muzzloader

So I was going through Cabela's the other day and besides buying a new fishing rod I looked pretty seriously at the modern day muzzleloading rifles. They look like they would be a good conversation starter at the range and I wouldn't mind seeing if I could take a deer or two with one.

Any advice for a noob?
Old April 18, 2013, 09:00 AM   #2
swathdiver

Skip them and go traditional.
Old April 18, 2013, 10:02 AM   #3
Pahoo

Too many choices

What is often refered to as Modern InLines have gone through their own evolution. All of what I see today, are strictly 209 primer ignition. Most are break action and then it varies on features and pricing. All are capable of providing good performance. Other than that, you would have to be more specific on just what you were looking at. Look at TC, Traditions and CVA. ...

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old April 18, 2013, 10:24 AM   #4
johnwilliamson062

Some sort of quick change plug to make cleaning and such easy.
I am big on stainless steel in genera and for a gun that is likely to see corrosive it is a MUST IMO.

I bought a used TC stainless for $150 off craiglist a few years ago. Used muzzleloaders are a great deal. THe only caveat is there aren't a lot of breach plug models on the used market.

Conversation starter at the range... Yes, but in my experience the conversation is something like: **Cough, COugh** "Put that **** smoke pole away" repeated as the cloud of smoke floats past every station on the line.
Old April 18, 2013, 10:45 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

If you want range and hitting power go with a Minie gun.
Old April 21, 2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I'll tell you what 88Scrat. You invite us all here on your thread out to Kansas during your M/L deer season and have a rather large farm for us to shoot on.__ (of course!!)__ I'm sure we'll all let you try each one of our rifles. That way you could say you've tried nearly all them brands at least once and preferred so & so's over all.___ And s~ay_@> ___ if we were to do a little hunt'in while there and take a little somethin/somethin to fill our pick-up box with for the ride home. (Let's consider that someth'in/somethin each one of us harvested just a {little perk} for showing up) "How's that sound?"_ Are you game Sir. O~oo I got a couple nice rifles for you to try. Pahoo probably has a dozen or so to bring along since has hasn't all that far to travel like the rest of us do._
Old April 21, 2013, 11:46 AM   #7
Pahoo

Sounds like a plan.

Quote:
Pahoo probably has a dozen or so to bring along since has hasn't all that far to travel like the rest of us do._
You got that right and currently down to one In-Line but my SUV can carry the rest, in SideLocks. I'll even tease you with one of my Senecas. .....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; April 21, 2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old April 21, 2013, 01:51 PM   #8
Boomer58cal

I'd say start old school. There's something about those old flint and cap guns, but I haven't come accosted an inline that wouldn't harvest deer at 100 yrds. I wouldn't worry about those 150g charge guns. The only thing I load over 100g in is my .62 cal with a 900g bullets. .50 cals usually over penetrate on deer with a 80g charge. Sabot rounds are cool but very expensive. If you shoot allot you'll want to shoot and cast your own lead, as it is much cheaper. I hope you get one they're very addictive.

Boomer
Old April 23, 2013, 12:27 AM   #9
'88Scrat

Sureshot, that's the great thing about Kansas; plenty of nothing in every direction, come on down.

Boomer58Cal, I too hope to have one someday, but I think I need to hold off until I know a little more about 'em. Not gonna lie almost made an impulse gun buy. (cause that's never happened before...)
Old April 23, 2013, 07:44 AM   #10
Doyle

I'm strictly an in-line kind of shooter. I don't do it for fun - I do it only because that is the legal way to spend more time in the field. If you want to do it for fun (because you kind of like the idea of seeing clouds of smoke, etc.) then by all means get yourself a sidelock and have a ball.

On the other hand, if you are like me and are only looking for a means to extend your regular deer seaons then go for the most modern inline you can afford.
Old April 23, 2013, 06:00 PM   #11
noelf2

^^^ +1

If getting meat is the goal, get a good modern inline. I wouldn't worry so much about a quick change breech plug. You won't have a need to remove it quickly. If you want to hunt, then go traditional.
Old April 23, 2013, 06:45 PM   #12
BerdanSS

This modern day enough?

Bolt and one piece breech plug can be removed in less than 30 seconds with nothing more than a big flat head screwdriver. Modern efficiency, ease of use and more weather proof? 209 primer inline, no particular type, just what suits you. Doyle and Noelf are spot on. If it were me and money were no object (in my case it is ) I'd get a laminated stock, matte stainless TC encore with a BP and .35 REM barrel.

For more fun ( to me) get a "traditional" something or other. My love of all things "old timey" and insatiable blood lust of firepower led me to wanting one of these now more than the inline....unless it's raining
Old April 23, 2013, 10:04 PM   #13
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
I'd get a laminated stock, matte stainless TC encore with a BP and .35 REM barrel.
The Encore is heavy for a muzzle loader. Probably the heaviest production inline, although I have not done a real comparison. I have a buddy with one and it also seems to be front heavy. Used barrels are available relatively cheaply, but I have opted to keep my thunderhawk as it handles much better for me.
But if you want to go that route:
http://www.encoreclassifieds.com/forum/
Specialty Pistols Forum
You may have to join on those to view them. The specialty Pistols classified is much more active. Almost always a few ML barrels on there.
Old April 23, 2013, 10:22 PM   #14
Captchee

never been much for modern inlines and here they wont get you one more day in the field then any other rifle .
i have built a couple but have not been overly impressed with any of the production ones i have seen or shot

i would agree with the others . if your going to do it , go traditonal .
while the inline "may cost you less , it will eat a hole in your wallet if you even get remotly serious obout shooting it .
to each their own i guess
Old April 24, 2013, 07:42 AM   #15
Doyle

Berdan - I had one of those. It shot great but that bolt turned me off. It was difficult to get a primer into (especially wearing gloves). After going to a screw-in breech rifle I was much happier (and unfortunately, poorer).
Old April 24, 2013, 07:49 AM   #16
BerdanSS

Doyle:

Your too right sir...that is the draw back to it. getting the primer out is pretty easy with a pick, but you'll never get one in it with gloves on.... especially with the scope

That double rifle primes easy though!
Old April 24, 2013, 07:52 AM   #17
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd rather get that Parker Hale EnfieldMusketoon that TroutCreek is selling. Hit out to 300 easily with it (provided you do your bit). The longer Enfield could easily hit at 500.
Old April 24, 2013, 10:05 AM   #18
BerdanSS

I thought it was a euroarms
Old April 24, 2013, 10:19 AM   #19
Andy Griffith

Well, here's the deal.

If you want it strictly for hunting, and really don't care about "getting into" muzzleloaders as a hobby, I'd get one of the short, lightweight in-line carbines. I say short, because in my area, it's mostly brush hunting, and shots rarely are over 75 yards. If, where you are going to be hunting a flat spot, get one of the longer barreled long range in-lines- but they are heavy to carry.

If you want to get into muzzleloading and this is going to be your first foray into a hobby you might enjoy, get a good percussion or flint longrifle.

It's all in what you want. Give us a bit more information, and we can point you in the correct direction.
Old April 24, 2013, 09:24 PM   #20
Captchee

if a person does their part ALL of them will hit much farther then most think.
history proves it right up through today . Even if your shooting off hand .
Here is a couple photos for you . The first is an off hand long range shoot which I won with my flintlock "open iron sights " with 5 shots , on target at 325 yards . Now let me say that at this even the target is a man sized target and your not scored for hitting a kill zone . Its just hitting the target which is about the size of a man from waist to shoulders .
I have not won that event for ?? 5 years I think . My average is 250 yards consistently .
2 years ago I got knocked out at 225 yards . 6 shooters went to 300 without missing and the final two were at 375 . 2nd place was defined by one of them having 1 miss at 375 . Again all off hand .
while you maynot be able to see the target in the phot , its in the treeline across the meadow

hopefully these photos will give a better idea of accuracy . Ill let you all count the range of this target which is a 10X10 plate
This was shot off hand by myself and another gentleman who was shooting a cap lock.
1 shot each was taken off hand and with iron sights . Just as with the above off hand event . We were shooting Round balls only
From the line to target

Myself

Witness and other shooter

Close up of target
Now the hit you see in the green is mine 54 Cal .
The other hit was actually a miss but LOL , the other shooter claimed he actualy hit a smaller target LOL . If you look closely you will see he cut the tape in the first link of the chain with his 50 cal ball

as to long barrel vs short ??? i think thats kinda personal preference.
At one time I would have agreed with it . However I have found differently through the years . Here in where I hunt , I can easily find myself in very thick lodge pole or completely over grown ash .
I don’t find a long gun to be any different in those situations then a good brush gun

Weight wise ??/ it depends on the gun you could be looking at 6-8lbs . But that weight is most times balance so you don’t feel it in the carry like you do a heavy short barreled ½ stock OR a poorly balanced modern bolt action which is muzzle light and thus in a short while you have it slinged over your shoulder .

In the end , regardless’ of what you chose . Your only going to be as good with the gun as you are in familiarity of the gun itself . doesnt mater if your target shooting or hunting

Last edited by Captchee; April 24, 2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old April 25, 2013, 07:06 AM   #21
4V50 Gary
Staff

Captchee -that's impressive for round ball shooting. You should be called jagermeister.
Old April 25, 2013, 08:50 AM   #22
Captchee

LOL , no Gary , the fact is that i lose more then i win at these events alot of these folks are far better then i am .

but anyway , the fact remains that all we have to do is look back and read the more credible accounts of the capabilities of these rifles . then step back and ask ourselves ; How did they do that and whats changed thats made it so that suddenly these guns are mere hobbies items .
When we actually do that , IMO what we will find is that they are just as capable and reliable as 200 years ago . Whats changed is us