The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 31, 2012, 05:47 PM   #1
the old gringo

weaver side mount correct location for jap

been looking at my little 6.5 jap and located in a box of mounts and found a no#1 weaver side mount base i have stayed away from side mounts but with the markings intact and bend of the bolt i think i will try. then how do you locate the base on the action ? i dont want a swiss cheese action, any suggestions? thanks
Old May 31, 2012, 08:39 PM   #2
DnPRK

I have several Arisakas and I wouldn't think of drilling the receiver for side or top mounts.

Instead, get an S&K mount that replaces the rear sight leaf.
Click here - and scroll down towards the bottom of the page

With a extended eye relief (pistol) scope and low rings, its what my old eyes need to hit the bullseye at 100+ yards.
Old May 31, 2012, 09:15 PM   #3
Gunplummer

I went that route with a 6.5 carbine years ago. What a mistake that was. Putting a pistol mount on for hunting is a joke. Side mounts are hard enough to get used to when hunting. ( I can shoot Lee Harvey, my Carcano pretty good but it took a lot of practice). The only way to scope a rifle correctly is on the top of the receiver. Most of the 6.5 rifles out there still have the mum, but the rest of the parts do not match. If yours is totally matching and has the extras, I would think about not drilling and tapping for a scope. There are plenty of long 6.5's out there that you could cut down.
Old June 1, 2012, 10:00 AM   #4
tobnpr

Can't speak to the Jap, but I used the Weaver #1 on my Mosin Nagant project rifle- and it worked perfectly. Required me to fab a very low clearance bolt, so pay attention to that if applicable to your rifle.

Old June 6, 2012, 05:35 PM   #5
Gunplummer

Side mounts were invented for split-bridge and top exposed bolt guns. Basicly, a last resort to scope a rifle that will not readily accept a scope. Even with a side mount, the Japanese rifles will need some change to the bolt handle. The safety is O.K. even with a top mount set up. What is to gain by using a side mount? You still drill holes in the receiver.