The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 26, 2010, 07:45 PM   #1
waltfraz

Buying colt python

I am looking at buying a colt python which is as I was told 2 1/2" barrel satin nickel finish has been in safe for years,has factory houge rubber grips.My question is what should I be looking for when buying this gun? I there any letters I should look for before serial number? I am not buying gun to shot only for resale or trading it.[/SIZE]
Old August 26, 2010, 07:52 PM   #2
atlantis

Satin nickel? You sure?
Old August 26, 2010, 08:27 PM   #3
RLWII

Atlantis brings up good point. Never have I seen a satin nickel Python.
Does it have the original box? That would be the best way to tell if it was an original snub-nosed and not something that has been re-barreled. Do the grips have Colt medallions?

I am guessing asking price is rather high. Do your research.
Old August 26, 2010, 08:30 PM   #4
357 Python

I don't know about the satin nickel or the factory Hogue grips. The Colt Pythons that I know of came with wooden stocks (grips), or gold Colt medallion Pachmayrs. The Royal Blue and Nickel Pythons came with the wooden stocks and the stainless ones mostly came with the Pachmayrs. If it is truly a nickel 2 1/2" Python it should have the wooden service stocks. If you can write down the serial number after you have seen it, call Colt for a date of manufacture. If it is before 1985 or 1986 it should be nickel. I believe that the stainless ones started about 1985 or 86. Either way I don't believe the Hogue grips are correct for the gun. One other tidbit Colt used only the gold medallions on the Python. The silver medallions were used on other models.
Old August 27, 2010, 07:27 AM   #5
waltfraz

Gun is satin nickel and factory 2 1/2" I called owner he said he bought it new and it came with factory rubber grips.I will see it this weekend and see if he has orginal box.When I purchase gun I will tell you guys the price which is really low.
Old August 27, 2010, 08:41 AM   #6
GUNKWAZY

If it is a factory satin nickel 2.5 incher, it's not an easy find.
Colt actually called it E-Nickel or Royal Colt Guard. The finish was not made for very long and Colt's are tough to find with that finish.
Colt also used Hogue and Pachmayer grips on different Pythons during different years. If in fact it's factory finished with box and 2.5 inch barrel, it's not a cheap gun.
Good luck and hope you get it.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)
Old August 27, 2010, 10:36 PM   #7
waltfraz

gUY BACKED OUT OF DEAL,HE FOUND OUT WHAT GUN WAS WORTH.oH WELL YOU CAN'T BE LUCKY ALL THE TIME