The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 20, 2007, 03:14 PM   #1
Survivor

Need holster recommendation for Ruger SP-101

Would appreciate experienced recommendations for both IWB and OWB holsters for my SP-101.

Thanks,
Lou
Old August 20, 2007, 03:16 PM   #2
zoomie

I carry mine in a Bianchi three-slot pancake. Works well with a long shirt and sturdy belt. I'd get just a normal pancake next time though - I never wear it crossdraw.
Old August 20, 2007, 03:31 PM   #3
BillCA

Check Bob Mernickle's site for well made leather products. For your Ruger SP101, his PS4-2 concealment holster is sturdy and hugs your body extremely well.

www.mernickleholsters.com
Old August 20, 2007, 04:02 PM   #4
ronto

I currently carry the 2 1/4" DAO in a Uncle Mikes #3 pocket holster but I have a Mika round-cut pocket holster on order. I found IWB uncomfortable when driving so I have a holster set up in my truck and OWB is a chore to conceal. Pocket carry works best for me when I'm vertical...To each his own...I just like to keep it as simple as possible.
Old August 20, 2007, 04:31 PM   #5
nemesis

I've always thought the Galco Speed Master was about as good as it gets for small revolvers. It's a stable carry and it carries high and tight. IWB holsters for revolvers have never appealed to me due to the width of the cylinder and the uneven shape against the body.

In fact, there is so little of the gun below the belt line with the Speed Master that there is little advantage to using an IWB for a stubby.
Old August 20, 2007, 06:48 PM   #6
cunroe

Just received this after a ~7 month order process. Not suggesting this IWB style will meet your needs but...I like it. On inital inspection, Mr. Alessi's work appears/feels exceptional. Consider checking Lou and his products out for your SP. (PS...since I just got this I am whoring this pic all over the place )

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r14/cunroe/1cc.jpg
Old August 20, 2007, 07:17 PM   #7
Charles S

For an IWB holster I really like the Blade Teck Kydex Holster.

http://www.blade-tech.com/home.php

Here is mine:
Old August 20, 2007, 07:22 PM   #8
hodaka

Bianchi with the thumb snap(forget model #). Rides high and tight, fits like a glove and only around $60 for real good leather.
Old August 21, 2007, 05:52 AM   #9
BikerRN

I'm partial to Garrity, Del Fatti, Sparks and Rosen for my leather.
Any of them could make you a fine holster for your Ruger. I have something by each one of those makers, and more on order.

Biker
Old August 21, 2007, 04:42 PM   #10
Stumpy16076

Holster Recommendation

Take a look at www.epsaddlery.com. They have a hull line of concealment holsters IWB/OWB and I've always been pleased with their quality-price is pretty reasonable, too.
Old August 21, 2007, 06:04 PM   #11
panamint

I use a soft IWB left hand with a metal clip, but wear it on the outside of my right side. I do this being able to clip it on my belt with the metal clip that the holster has.
Scott
Old August 21, 2007, 06:19 PM   #12
Kreyzhorse

Any thing by Bianchi or Galco is a good place to start. I carry my Smith 637 in a Bianchi IWB Professional or a Galco Fletch OWB.

Just bought a CCW ammo carrier from Merinickle. Excellent workmanship. Can't speak for their holsters, but I'm sure they are all that they are claimed to be. They are running 4 to 6 weeks on holsters right now however.
Old August 29, 2007, 08:14 AM   #13
Survivor

Thanks for all the info

Just ordered a Galco Speed Master from Packin' Heat Leather. Should have it in a few days. Great price too!!
Old August 29, 2007, 11:59 AM   #14
turbines

Take a look at www.smartcarry.com/.
Nothing shows with this rig as long as you wear pants.
Old August 29, 2007, 01:02 PM   #15
BikerRN

OWB: Matt Del Fatti
IWB: Matt Del Fatti
'Nuff said.

I had an order on a Garrity, cancelled it. I waited 8 months on a 3-4 month estimated delivery date. Sparks is good too.

Biker

Last edited by BikerRN; August 29, 2007 at 02:42 PM.
Old August 29, 2007, 07:07 PM   #16
Kreyzhorse

You can't go wrong with any thing from Galco or Bianchi. I carry a Galco Fletch High Ride OWB and a Bianchi Professional 100 IWB. My only other word of advice is go leather.

Take a look at

http://www.usgalco.com/default.asp

http://bianchi-intl.com/

If you see something you like, shop here for good prices and good service.

http://store.packinheatleather.com/index.html

Mernickle seems to have good products and I just ordered and received an ammo carrier from them. Seems very well made. They did say they are 6 to 8 weeks out on holster production however.

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/ps/PS30/ps30.html
Old August 29, 2007, 07:14 PM   #17
Survivor

Thanks Krezyhorse

Just ordered a Galco Combat Master from Packin' Heat.

Thanks to all for the response and recommendations.

Lou

Last edited by Survivor; August 29, 2007 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Whoops, misspelled Kreyzhorse . . . apologies!!
Old August 29, 2007, 07:21 PM   #18
rcupka

I use a Bianchi Minimalist 105 OWB, very comfortable even in a vehicle.
Old September 4, 2007, 03:23 PM   #19
parrothead2581

Survivor,
Have you received your holster yet? I just ordered from them yesterday, it was to be shipped today. How was the packaging? How long did it take to arrive? (I went with first class mail shipping)

Thanks!
Old September 4, 2007, 05:58 PM   #20
Survivor

Too good to be true . . .

Parrothead2581,

I assumed the Galco Combat Master was in stock and would ship the following day -- must've misread something thinking it wouldn't be advertised if it wasn't in stock -- but received an e-mail from Packin' Heat that they were out of stock and Galco was telling them 3 weeks.

On another note, I ordered a Galco Concealable for my Sig P229 from Packin' Heat today and have received an e-mail that it will ship today. I'll have to say one thing for them, they do get back to you and quick!!

I'll post on how its packed, delivery time, etc. when I receive it.

Since you asked, have you had any problems with them? I've heard only good things so far.

Thanks,
Lou
Old September 4, 2007, 06:11 PM   #21
parrothead2581

Survivor,
I actually found them via this thread. I ordered from them for the first time yesterday. I received an e-mail from them at 2:15pm ET that the order was scheduled to be packed and shipped out today. I happened to mention that I found them via this thread. They gave a big thanks for the order and for mentioning how I found them. My only "complaint" is that the first class shipping is a bit high. I can get the same thing from Midway for around $3.50 compared to around $7 from them. But, Midway didn't have mine in stock.

I'll add an update when mine is received.

`By the way, let me know what you think of the Galco Concealable. I'm wanting those for winter OWB carry.

Thanks!
Old September 7, 2007, 05:35 PM   #22
Survivor

Awesome service from Packin' Leather

Parrothead2581,
You asked about the Galco Concealable. Well, it arrived today. Not bad considering I ordered it Monday. It arrived via USPS in a padded envelope. Inside the holster was packed in the usual Galco plastic bag you see in the gun shops. I gotta tell ya the Concealable is a fine looking holster. It'll need some breaking in but I've used Galco products in the past and breaking in their holsters is a cinch with a little time spent massaging the thing and inserting and removing the handgun while watching TV. The cant of the holster is a little more than what we normally call "FBI Cant" so that's good as far as I'm concerned insofar as it puts the butt of my P229 at an angle that doesn't print when bending over. It'll conceal well under an untucked shirt or jacket.

As for the Combat Master I ordered from Packin' Heat, they e-mailed me today that they had received Tan whereas I had ordered Black and I told them to send the Tan cause Galco was telling them it would be some time getting the Black holster to them. These guys are great to work with, terrific service and very good prices.

Lou

Last edited by Survivor; September 7, 2007 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Whoops! Senior moment there . . . It's Packin' Heat!! Sorry guys!!
Old September 7, 2007, 08:56 PM   #23
parrothead2581

Thanks for the update Survivor! I ordered my Bianchi Shadow II Monday and it hasn't arrived as of yet. Hopefully Saturday, or Monday at the latest.

Again, thanks for the info.
Old September 8, 2007, 10:57 AM   #24
parrothead2581

Update: My Shadow II holster arrived today. Finally, and OWB for my SigPro 2009 that will actually conceal with just a t-shirt! While it isn't as deeply molded or as stiff as some holsters, it seem to work quite nicely, especially for the price. The thumbstrap, while I'll rarely use it, acts as a nice body shield. I couldn't be more pleased. Thanks Packin' Heat!