The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 3, 2000, 12:48 AM   #1
RHarris

Can anyone give any suggestions for improving the accuracy of a Marlin Model 60? There's not a gazzilion accessories for it like for the Ruger 10/22. I just happen to like it better than a 10/22. With the right ammo, it shoots pretty good groups, better than a friend's standard 10/22. However, I am not very happy with the feel of the trigger. What else can I do with it?

I was also wondering if the clip fed Marlin autoloaders basicly have the same action as the Model 60.

Old July 3, 2000, 06:24 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

RHarris, there isn't a lot that you can do with these due to their design. You could have the barrel set back and a match chamber cut, muzzle recrowned, check for high spots in the barrel channel etc. There might be a couple of other things but it would be really expensive compared to the retail price of the rifle. George
Old July 3, 2000, 06:26 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

The clip fed versions are and ain't basically the same. There are different parts involved even though assembled the do look similar. George
Old July 3, 2000, 07:21 AM   #4
BBBBill

Amazingly, the little "Papoose" version that
I have is outstandingly accurate. I bought it for a survival gun to put in the plane, never expecting it to shoot so well. So, think about what George said & decide from there what you want to do. The crown would be the first place I'd look for improvement, mostly because it's the easiest to access/do.
Old July 3, 2000, 10:50 AM   #5
Gunslinger

Welcome to TFL R, may I call you R.
If I'm not being too personal, how accurate is the Marlin now? I've owned some twenty of the model 60's over the years. Some stamped Marlin, others Glenfield. One was a disappointment. However the others, as BBBBill stated above, were very accurate. In fact I have always been impressed that they have been more accurate then other rim fires costing as much as ten times more. At the price of them if this one is not performing well you want to consider simply getting another.

------------------
Gunslinger

[This message has been edited by Gunslinger (edited July 03, 2000).]