The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 25, 2002, 08:28 AM   #1
Sisco

45.70 in a 12ga

Yesterday at a gunshop I saw an adapter that would allow you to shoot 45.70 gov through a 12ga. Apparently it's a rifled sleeve that slips inside the barrel of a shotgun, only works with break-open type guns, not pumps or autos.
Kits were boxed, didn't actually see the hardware itself. Anyone familiar with these?
Old November 25, 2002, 03:46 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

This comes around every once in a while. The oldest version I've seen had a big BP style elephant cartridge liner for an 8 bore double.

Trouble is, once the liner is removed and replaced, the zero is history. As a semi permanent installation, it might work,IF....

The rifle round is low pressure. Even in 45-70, loaded down in factory ammo for all those trapdoor Springfields, the pressures are far greater(On the order of 35KPSI) than for shotgun rounds(Max 13,500 PSI),IIRC.

Not a great idea, IMO....
Old November 25, 2002, 06:39 PM   #3
OBIWAN

It would be kind of neat to do it in and Over /Under in only one barrel and leave a 12 gauge in the other.

A sabot slug might be almost as good though...and less confucsing to reload
Old November 28, 2002, 08:47 AM   #4
Sisco

I see a potential for abuse. I can imagine someone deer hunting in a shotgun only zone getting themselves extra yardage out of their gun.
Old November 30, 2002, 05:42 PM   #5
Mannlicher

I agree that a .45/70 might be a little much for a shotgun to handle in some cases, especially one of the older double guns. One of the HR or NEF single shots might be ok. Those seem to be darn strong.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old December 1, 2002, 08:15 PM   #6
kobun

This is a big thing in Germany.
They have rifle sleeves in all kinds of calibers to use in their shotguns.
Kind of neat... if you can only have one gun...

K.