The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 16, 2010, 08:16 PM   #1
JohnRaven

Bolt action shotguns - The good & the bad???

Let me start by saying I've been looking for a dedicated truck gun...

I have about $100 in gift cards for a semi-local sporting goods store...

They have a nice used section for shotguns and I've been watching and waiting for a N.E.F Pardner SB1 (Single shot 12 gauge) to come in... I've been waiting and waiting and now I'm getting inpatient!

Now, I already have a Pardner SB1, I just wanted a second one for a dedicated truck gun...

Upon looking around a bit, I noticed they had a somewhat decent selection of bolt action shotguns priced from $100 - $180ish.

What are the most popular older bolt action shotguns out there???
Is there certain ones to stay away from?
What model is considered to be a 'good' one?

Feel free to post pictures of ones you have!
Old August 16, 2010, 08:23 PM   #2
oneounceload

The main issue with older guns, especially those out of production, is the availability of parts. Most folks here seem to have used pump guns in their areas for the same money - just another possibility to think about
Old August 17, 2010, 06:52 AM   #3
NeroBrandt

JC Higgins, 583.18. A 16 gauge. I believe that this one was made in 1951. It works great and is fun to shoot. I would imagine that you could pick one up in a pawn shop for less than a $100.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00003.jpg (50.1 KB, 410 views)
Old August 17, 2010, 07:37 AM   #4
amd6547

I also had been looking for a bolt shotgun for truck use...I had seen some cheap, and considered making a legal length "whippet", chopped stock and 18" barrel.
I went to the local Gander Mountain, and they had a like new Mossberg 12ga bolt gun on the rack. I couldnt believe my eyes when I saw the price...$65!
It truly looks like a brand new shotgun, complete with adjustable choke.
I cant make it into my "whippet", though...it is just too nice.
Old August 17, 2010, 09:16 PM   #5
BarkeyVA

You might look for a used Marlin Model 190. It comes with a factory installed adjustable choke that is similar to a PolyChoke. A local gun shop had one for $99. I paid $86 out the door.
Old August 17, 2010, 11:26 PM   #6
10-96

I don't really know where to find reference to it at the moment, but be sure to shy away from Sears marked bolt shotguns. They had a recall for safety reasons and not too many years ago (4 or 5) they still took the bolt from a friend of mine. He didn't get a refund, rebate, whatever, but they did send him a gift card type thing. When I see him tomorrow- I'll ask him where to look for that recall info.

Other than that- I can respect a bolt action shotgun. An old 16ga is what I learned on and even won a summer sausage at a turkey shoot years ago (never did find out who got the turkey).

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 18, 2010, 04:39 AM   #7
NeroBrandt

The Sears recall was bogus. It was simply a CYA move on Sears part. On a 12 gauge a guy had stripped out the bolt retention screw, it failed and the bolt came back and broke his nose. Sears panicked and put out a recall on the bolts. If the guy hadn't of messed with it, it wouldn't have failed.
Old August 18, 2010, 06:46 AM   #8
Scout

Mossberg bolt guns are good, reliable and parts are available. I've got a 385KB 20 gauge that my dad gave to me 30+ years ago and I just gave it to my son.
Old August 21, 2010, 02:05 PM   #9
JohnRaven

Thanks for the information guys!

I'll have to check out their bolt actions a lot closer the next time I'm there...

A used pump is also a good consideration... I know I could pick one up for about $200... I wish they sold Mavericks! I wouldn't mind picking one of those up real cheap...