The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 23, 2014, 04:54 PM   #1
William T. Watts

Just finished loading 50 rounds w/Nosler 165gr Solid Base bullets

My Danish Garand (Beretta) and I will finally make it to our local range this week end, I've owned the rifle 13 years and finally have a sufficent supple of primers to shoot it. I originally hoped to use it for matches, kinda late for that now so it will have to be for pleasure.. Whoooooooopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee William
Old September 23, 2014, 05:04 PM   #2
kilimanjaro

Enjoy the day. Garands are a special treat to shoot.

I think 13 years is the record for reloading component shortages. You must live in Prepperville or Panic City, someplace like that.
Old September 23, 2014, 09:39 PM   #3
William T. Watts

Health problems and having to drop out of School in 2001 (Trinidad St Jr College Gunsmith program), moving back to Arkansas with limited funds some things have to be put on hold. Returning to the work force and earning an income took priority over everything else. Frankly after that I forgot about the rifle for several years, when I remembered I couldn't find any Mil-spec primers locally. I now have enough CCI 34's to at least think about shooting competitively if I find I'm up to it. I'm 72, I probably can't compete with the younger fellows but in spite of that it may be fun to try. I'm thinking about it! William
Old September 24, 2014, 01:42 PM   #4
849ACSO

I will be happy of I can actually still shoot when I'm 72, much less still have the mind power to reload with catastrophic results.

Hope it's everything you want it be.............

EDIT: WITHOUT catastrophic results...... See, the mind is already half gone!
Old September 24, 2014, 08:05 PM   #5
William T. Watts

M-1 Garand

I had that trip to the range today, I took six loaded clips (enbloc I think is the correct term) I shot three 8 shot groups, the 1st group which was the largest 3.775", 2nd 2.870", 3rd and final group fired was 1.750". After firing the first group at the center of a target I decided I needed something I could see more clearly. I used a black magic marker and made two 3" dots that were more visible with last two groups being progressively smaller with the third less than 2' which pleased me. The load was R-P cases CCI 34 primers 165gr Nosler solid base bullets 47.5gr of IMR4064 OAL 3.330 which functioned flawlessly. I still have three of the full clips left so that means another trip to the range, I must admit it felt good to shoot the rifle and the more I shot the rifle my comfort level went up. For a first time to the range with a rifle that could easily be 50 years old it didn't perform too badly, I was pleased with the first effort!! The rifle did grab the attention of several of the other shooters and when I told them it was a Beretta they were hooked.. William

Last edited by William T. Watts; September 27, 2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old September 26, 2014, 10:15 AM   #6
RC20

Congratulations ! Great results by any measure.

I shoot Model of 1917s (rear peep OME) and the sight picture is not only key, but I find either the light or my eyes change from one session to another.

I have a variety of targets form black balls, 2 to 6 inches size as well as ones with orange dots and sometimes a white stripe under the ball (medical tape) to clear it up.

I am a decade younger and tend to shoot at 75 yds as that is what I can see the 3 inch ball at (usually as big a white background as i can make form the backside of other target paper.
Old September 26, 2014, 12:55 PM   #7
William T. Watts

I have some of the same kind of problems with my eyes, I decided I needed contrast between the bulls eye on the white paper and ordered both 2" & 3" orange stick on dots from Midwayusa. I'll try using them the next session at our local G&F shooting range. Considering my age and condition of my eyes I can still use Iron sights, the garand with it's peep and front sight I can still see both pretty well. It was nice to finally shoot the rifle.. William

Last edited by William T. Watts; September 27, 2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old September 26, 2014, 01:08 PM   #8
kilimanjaro

That's good shootin', Tex.