The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 28, 2013, 07:54 PM   #1
fitofc87

9mm reloads

Just picked up some 9mm reloads oal is 1.080 with 5.4gr of rs true blue. Safe not safe any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Old June 28, 2013, 08:01 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

No way to know without knowing the weight of the bullet.

However, I would not shoot "unknown" reloads. Period. End of Thought.
Old June 28, 2013, 08:46 PM   #3
fitofc87

124 gr copper plated xtreme bullet.
Old June 28, 2013, 10:41 PM   #4
jwrowland77

9mm reloads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pfleuger View Post

However, I would not shoot "unknown" reloads. Period. End of Thought.
+1. I wouldn't shoot unknown reloads either. Absolutely no way.
Old June 29, 2013, 07:58 AM   #5
Ozzieman

And the powder and the type of primer. Not just someone saying what powder it is. Are these factory reloads?
And what is the name of the company that manufactured them.
I would trust factory reloads if they have a history of good quality but I’m with everyone here. Having seen a gun blow up from BAD reloading practices I’m gutless for anyone’s reloads other than mine.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old June 29, 2013, 08:05 AM   #6
PawPaw

Quote:
I’m gutless for anyone’s reloads other than mine.
Yeah, me too. I make enough mistakes with my own reloads to shoot someone else's. In the past decade I've shot tens of thousands of my own reloads and seen the error of not paying strict attention at the loading bench. Luckily, I haven't blown anything up, and I consider myself a thorough, knowledgeable, careful handloader. Still, glitches occur at the bench occasionally.

There's no way I'd trust anyone else's reloads.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old June 29, 2013, 07:13 PM   #7
Ozzieman

I’m gutless for anyone’s reloads other than mine.
Case in point, even my reloads can have problems but luckily I look twice then load.
First photo the case on the left was filled higher than the others in the block.
Second photo was what was in the case, and I have no idea how.
After I saw what was in the case I put them back together to get these photos. O dark 30 on a winter night loading a lot of 9mm.
At the time I wondered what that would have done to pressure?

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; February 12, 2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old June 29, 2013, 08:41 PM   #8
Wreck-n-Crew

Powder measurement is sooooo important to safety and it scares me the most when I reload.

I can't tell you how many times I have been distracted by the other half or the little ones and it really gets my goat.

I have pulled a many a bullet for fear that their distractions caused a boo boo just in the last few weeks.

I hate loading under distracting conditions
Old June 30, 2013, 10:13 PM   #9

I wouldn't shoot any reload I hadn't made myself. Some recommend that you only buy from large commercial reloaders, but I've never done that either.

OACL is dependent on the shape of the bullet and I'm not familiar with the bullet you're using. True Blue, I am familiar with and use a good deal of it. It is an excellent powder, but you can't really confirm the charge-weight without pulling a bullet and weighing the powder charge and then hope the others were consistently charged. That's the reason you're getting unanimous agreement against using handloads that you didn't make yourself.

On the whole and looking at the data at www.ramshot.com where they give plated bullet data, the load should be safe at 5.4 grs. where Ramshot used a Berry's 124 gr. HBFP with 5.5 grs. for the Max. Charge with an OACL of 1.060". So if the data you were given is correct, your load is .020" longer with .1 gr. less powder charge than Ramshot used for the most similar load I'm seeing. The best advice I can give you is to get a good load manual like the Lyman 49th edition and start reading it. Start making your own handloads and you'll get plenty of help when needed, here and other forums. Nothing in shooting beats the satisfaction you get from firing your own finely tuned and crafted handloads.