The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 30, 2010, 01:47 PM   #1
Carolina Cowboy

Black powder cartridges

I am shooting CAS and want to try PB in my colt 45. Wanted to know if I can buy pre-lubed bullets and where, also is there any place online to find out the info I will need....any books up to date on reloading with Black Powder?
Thanks in advance
Old July 30, 2010, 02:09 PM   #2
Fingers McGee

BP Bullets: http://www.cowboybullets.com/
Big Lube Bullets: http://hstrial-mwhyte2.homestead.com/

Fill case with BP, seat & crimp bullet. Fire - repeat

There are numerous books on loading BP. Google search Amazon.com

Lots of info here: http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?board=31.0
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old August 2, 2010, 12:39 AM   #3
Uncle Buck

I am shooting 250 gr. SW cutters from Missouri Bullets over 40 gr. of Goex FFFg. The bullet is well lubed.

It took me some time and effort to find the load I liked and to actually make the rounds. Fingers is correct, you basically fill the case, seat the bullet and have fun smoking the competition away. (Thanks Fingers Mcgee, I followed your advice and it worked... Now if you could just send me the winning numbers for powerball...)

I used felt wads in some of the round and just powder and bullet in others. I did not notice any difference. Biggest things to remember is black powder is not weighed and always make sure your powder is compressed with no space between the bullet and the powder.

If you are not comfortable loading 40 grains of FFFg, you could reduce it and then take the space up with the felt wads.
Old August 2, 2010, 11:23 AM   #4
Fingers McGee

Sorry Buck, Once I figure the numbers out, I'm gonna keep em.

Last time I loaded .45s, (which has been 6 or 7 years ago. I only shoot 44-40s and .38s now), I used about 30 gr of cartridge IIRC. It gave about 1/16" compression and was a pretty accurate load under a 250 gr RNFP. With my 44-40s and .38s, I only use enough powder to give 1/16 to 1/8 inch compression and eliminate the air space. CAS isn't precision shooting, so as long as I can hit the target wth a center hold, I'm happy.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce