The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 5, 2008, 01:07 PM   #1
Waterengineer

Part of an email sent to Benelli

I sent Benelli an email with three or four questions about various products of theirs I own. Below is a portion of that email sent to Benelli this morning.

As strong of a following as the Supersport has, I am sure a 28 would be a "seller" too. If anyone else is so inclined, perhaps some more emails would help the cause a little.

…………Regarding the Supersport shotgun, first, I want to thank you for designing and building an extremely fine machine. I would also like to thank you for making the decision to build it in 20 gauge as well as 12 gauge. You have a successful product with a strong, allegient following. I am sure you know that fact. Building it in 20 gauge has done nothing but increase its following.

Please indulge me while I relay a brief story. After recently purchasing the 20 gauge my teenage daughter and I took it to the local 5-stand range. I knew she would like it if I allowed her to use it. After firing the Supersport myself a few times I handed it to my daughter. She loved it immediately after putting two shells through it. I quote her, "I really love this gun, I'm taking it home."

She used it the rest of the afternoon while I went back to using my old Urika. I am still in possession of the Supersport but at some point I will have to give it up to her.

I want to encourage you to build it in 28 gauge also. Is this gauge being considered? If not I again encourage you to build it because I think it will be very successful also.

I look forward to your response………….
Old December 5, 2008, 01:21 PM   #2
ebutler462

Great letter!

The Stoeger Group (Benelli/Franchi/Beretta/Stoeger) does a very poor job of reading their email. I have never been able to get through via email.

It wouldn't cost much to share your appreciation via snail mail.

I am proud to hear of shooters wanting to share good things with gun makers.
Old December 5, 2008, 01:51 PM   #3
BigJimP

Good letter / I will join the parade and get something off to them this week.

I agree by the way, but lets try and get them to make a .410 as well ....
Old December 5, 2008, 02:06 PM   #4
Waterengineer

Jim, I knew you would chime in on the 410 bore - wanting a full set of guns for skeet.

Also, I got your private emails about weight - thanks.

ebutler, good point about the snail mail. I will get the secretary on that right away.

Everyone, have a great weekend.

- Craig
Old December 5, 2008, 02:25 PM   #5
BigJimP

By the way, tell them we're both engineers ( I was by education at least, so I'm sort of an engineer anyway ....) - and we will be happy to test them but, our time is valuable, so we need a couple of things:

send 2 prototypes (of each gague) & optional barrel for each ( 28" and 30")

10 cases of 20, 28ga and .410 / Rem STS ammo / not cheap stuff .....

and we'll get back to them in 2 or 3 weeks ...

Hey I'm not just a one trick pony ... Skeet shooter (but don't call me a Trap shooter either )... / we can hunt with these prototypes too ....if we pick the right place to meet. We'll just have to meet someplace warm for the test / I've about had it with shooting in the rain.

(and you're welcome on the weight info ).
Old December 5, 2008, 02:40 PM   #6
ebutler462

BigJim, though I am a retired detective, my major was textile engineering with a minor in chemistry. Since textiles were leaving this country shortly after graduation, I went into the USAF. Reckon that would qualify me as a engineer tester?
Old December 5, 2008, 03:58 PM   #7
BigJimP

Sure - why not - especially if you have property we can hunt Quail or Doves on in the Carolinas .... ( just asking )
Old December 6, 2008, 01:17 PM   #8
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimP
...we will be happy to test them but, our time is valuable, so we need a couple of things:
send 2 prototypes (of each gague) & optional barrel for each ( 28" and 30")
10 cases of 20, 28ga and .410 / Rem STS ammo / not cheap stuff .....
Humm.... Jim, I think you forgot to have all those shells accompanied by an abundant supply of White Flyers.
Old December 6, 2008, 04:00 PM   #9
MAX100

Good luck dealing with Benelli.

GC
Old December 6, 2008, 04:23 PM   #10
ebutler462

Their address and phone numbers:

Stoeger Industries, 17603 Indian Head Highway, Suite 200, Accokeek, MD 20607-2501. (301) 283-6981 or (800) 264-4962
Old December 6, 2008, 04:26 PM   #11
ebutler462

Are you from NC, BigJim?
Old December 8, 2008, 01:03 PM   #12
BigJimP

No, born and raised in Montana / I've spent the last 25 years in Pacific Northwest - but I used to spend a lot of time around Rock Hill and Charlotte..... in the 80's and 90's ( nice area ).