The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 22, 2009, 10:56 AM   #1
Field

2 questions about the Hornady LnL AP press

1 ive been running into this problem with the primer punch and primer possibly not being totally lined up with the casing every time and it WILL NOT punch and you will have to move the case around a little bit to get it in the right spot.

I am loading 9mm cartridges at the moment.

yes i have the wrap around spring on it that holds the cases against the shell plate

this kit came with 2 different primer punches and 2 primer slides. I am using the smaller primer punch, but i did not change out the primer slide. Is the primer slide that came installed not the right one for my size of case and primers? they look the same.

What kind of oils/lubricants would you use on this press? What kind of grease should i use on those zerks?
Old August 22, 2009, 11:15 AM   #2
LHB1

1. Clean the primer carrier slot to be sure there are not small bits of brass or lead or whatever preventing the primer slide from coming all the way to normal end of movement. If it stops slightly short, problems as you described will occur. I blow my press off with air hose before starting to load each time to prevent similar problems.

2. Wipe the central ram with a light grease (such as Lubriplate). I called Hornady customer service and was told to grease the oil zerks "once per human lifetime of use". He thought the oil fittings were not needed.

Note: I wipe my press arm and casting with RustePrufe to minimize rust/corrosion and cover them with a cloth bag to keep dust off. I live on the hot, humid Texas Gulf Coast and my presses are mounted on a loading bench in the garage.
Old August 22, 2009, 12:31 PM   #3
Field

why did the press come with 2 primer slides?
Old August 22, 2009, 12:33 PM   #4
Field

thats the thing i blow stuff off with canned air and there are no particulates getting in the way of the punch it has a full range of movement it simply doesnt properly line up sometimes with the casing
Old August 22, 2009, 12:45 PM   #5
freonr22

the primer slides included are one for large primer and one for small primer, also the punch thingy large primer and small primer. for the slide change, take the spring off and remove, reinstall in less than 15 seconds. The primer striker unscrews fom the bottom and is done in 30 seconds
Old August 22, 2009, 12:53 PM   #6
bobotech

Is the press indexing properly? Do you have to slightly move the shell plate to get the shells to line up?

And as the others have said, you are using small pistol primer parts, not the large primer parts, right? You should have a small primer punch spring thingy (the part that is under the shell plate), and the small primer slide. If you aren't using the small primer slide, then there will be too much play for the primer to line up to the shell properly.

There is a reason why they included both sizes of parts.
Old August 22, 2009, 03:10 PM   #7
Randy 1911

When I got my press it came with the large primer assembly installed. If you had to change out the seater plug, then you should have changed the slide also. I have accidentally put in the wrong slide and had the exact problems you are talking about. See if a large primer will fit in the slide that is not installed in the press. It it won't, then you have the worng slide installed.

I talked to the tech at Hornady and he said to use RemOil to lubicte the ram if I didn't like using the grease zerts. I have been using that method for over a year and I like it better. It feels smoother.
Old August 22, 2009, 04:17 PM   #8
Field

thanks randy yeah im thinking i just need to install the other primer slide
Old August 22, 2009, 06:18 PM   #9
DaveInGA

Yes, you do need to install the correct primer slide. Just look at the holes for the primer and you'll see which is large and which is small.

Regards,

Dave
Old August 23, 2009, 10:03 AM   #10
Field

i notice the powder dispenser starts to get a bit of play in it after a number of powder drops like the bushing untightens and the assembly gets a bit wobbly.

is there a certain way to set the height on everything and put the dispenser in so it never gets loose and the only movement it does is up and down?
Old August 23, 2009, 11:34 AM   #11
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
i notice the powder dispenser starts to get a bit of play in it after a number of powder drops like the bushing untightens and the assembly gets a bit wobbly.
is there a certain way to set the height on everything and put the dispenser in so it never gets loose and the only movement it does is up and down?
I use a rubber band to wrap from the powder measure to a nearby die to give it a subtle tension. Also, I degrease the o-ring on the collet bushing so there's surface tension when installed. I made the mistake of lubing the o-rings and had the same problem.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old August 23, 2009, 12:09 PM   #12
Field

oh you just wrap a rubber band around the powder die with one of the dies next to it? i should try that
Old August 23, 2009, 01:43 PM   #13
Field

anybody have any idea why the case feeder mechanism that drops cases onto the case slide on the upstroke why it would be pooping out 2 cases at a time instead of 1?
Old August 23, 2009, 01:56 PM   #14
freonr22

double check the inserts.. i think its kinda confusing as theye are not numbered. there maybe 2 inserts needed im not sure, depending on the caliber
Old August 23, 2009, 03:35 PM   #15
Shoney

When adjusting the timing, it can get quite confusing reading the Hornady LNL Manual. Look at the illustrations on this thread:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=356132
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old August 23, 2009, 10:26 PM   #16
Field

Quote:
double check the inserts
which inserts. i really cant keep the thing from dropping 2 cases
Old August 23, 2009, 10:57 PM   #17
LHB1

Suggest you call Hornady at 800-338-3220 and talk to Doug Derner (Customer Service) at Ext 206. Discuss all three of your problems with him. He has been extremely helpful to me when I had difficulties or questions about my Hornady reloading machines. Be prepared to give him the serial number from your LNL-AP machine as that is sometimes critical to answering the question. That number will tell him exactly how your machine was configured when it left the factory.
Old August 24, 2009, 12:12 AM   #18
Field

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuz26bHVlng

oh i get it now how its supposed to work that rotating block needs to be set up so when it swivels the opening is open long enough to drop 1 case but then after a certain point in the swivel the opening is no longer under the feed tube
Old August 24, 2009, 12:34 AM   #19
Field

hey you dont need to use the crimp die when you are loading 9mm cases do you? this guy at my range told me i should use the crimp die but idk
Old August 24, 2009, 01:05 AM   #20
Field

hmm ok i got that beast working like a finely tuned machine but now my problem seems to be my bench just doesnt cut the mustard i need to pimp my workbench for added stability
Old August 29, 2009, 03:50 PM   #21
Field

ive been enjoying this beast, instead of planning out 2-4 hours in a day to load up some ammo with a single stage press for a match i just loaded up much more than i needed in about a half hour even with little bugs (cases tripping, primers not being grabbed, misc case feeder plate issues) occuring now and then. im gonna work this horse until it dies.
Old August 29, 2009, 10:11 PM   #22
LHB1

Quote: "hey you dont need to use the crimp die when you are loading 9mm cases do you? this guy at my range told me i should use the crimp die but idk "

How will you remove the case belling from sta 2 if you don't taper crimp the round after seating bullet on straight walled pistol cases? I use an RCBS 3 die set on my Hornady LNL-AP with the combo seater/crimper in last sta. It is adjusted to remove the case belling and thus allow loaded round to chamber smoothly and easily. With the .45 ACP, desired taper crimp range is .469"-.470" across the mouth. I don't know the desired taper crimp range for 9mm but someone can probably provide it.
Old August 30, 2009, 05:36 PM   #23
Field

yeah since i got this new press i figure it had 5 stations so i started using that crimp die. im pretty sure it has helped in reducing or pretty much eliminating malfunctions or jams when using certain powders and charges