The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 26, 2009, 11:23 PM   #1
jgcoastie

30/06 USGI vs. 30/06 Springfield... Difference???

I've acquired a case of 500 1x fired 30/06 USGI brass. It's on it's way, in shipping right now... I'm shooting a Browning BAR MkII Safari in 30/06 Springfield... Is there a significant difference in the two cases??? Should I be worried about shooting this brass from my BAR???

Thanks guys
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old March 26, 2009, 11:34 PM   #2
Sport45

It should work fine. If it's not prepped you will need to swage or ream the crimped primer pockets. Sometimes the military brass is a little thicker, but that's really more of a concern with the smaller .308 cases. Start at the minimum load and work up as you would with any major component change.
Old March 27, 2009, 12:05 AM   #3
armsmaster270

Just what Sport said.
Old March 27, 2009, 07:43 AM   #4
F. Guffey

In the beginning, before the Internet, RCBS sold dies stamped BAR, I have three sets, 300 Win Mag, 270 and 30/06, before that the M1 Garand chamber was larger in the rear by .0002, the ammo fired in the M1 was the same for 30 Cal MG, O3, 03-A3 and the Enfield M1917, this leads me to believe Browning did not cut the clarence in the chamber or reloaders had as much trouble adjusting dies then as they do now.

The Browning Automatic Rifle dies are no longer offered but small base dies are. If you full length size the cases and have trouble chambering try raising the case by placing a .002 feeler gage between the shell holder and case, this will increase sizing, if you are punching primers, make sure there is a hole in the feeler gage for the primer to exit. You are not required to make a career out of making small adjustment when sizing, you only need to determine what works, again, I have a M1917 Eddystone that requires raising the die .015 thousands to size the perfect case.

F. Guffey
Old March 27, 2009, 09:31 AM   #5
musher

Sport45 covered it. Just a note though, primer pockets won't be crimped on LC match brass if you should be so lucky...
Old April 2, 2009, 05:24 PM   #6
James R. Burke

Again Sport45 got it covered!