The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 9, 2010, 11:23 AM   #26
crghss

For Pheasant, grouse and Woodcock I think I would have flushed 1 for every 10 my dog flushed when I was a kid. Upland game birds hold tight and wait for you to walk by. I had a Irish Setter, very hyper, that found them. Highly recommend a dog if you bird hunt.

A retrieving dog makes life a lot easier for sure. Having to trudge out in the creek/marsh and hoping you don't have to chase a duck. Send the dog while you keep calling and looking for Ducks.
Old June 11, 2010, 09:48 PM   #27
Big Bill

Quote:
Is a dog really required for waterfowl hunting?
I quit hunting waterfoul when my Lab died. IMHO, you need either a dog or a boat to hunt waterfoul or you won't get all the ones you knock down.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old June 11, 2010, 10:35 PM   #28
sc928porsche

I hunt without the dog. Afterall, I am armed.
Old June 27, 2010, 12:38 AM   #29
72gator

I know the original poster was speaking of bird dogs, but I have to chime in about my beagles. Noone could ever imagine how much I enjoy running them. I don't mean just hunting over them... but I love just going out and letting them do their thing. I guess you couldn't understand unless you hunted dogs. i love it!!!

Joe
Old June 27, 2010, 06:27 PM   #30
TX Hunter

SC 928 Porshe

I have hunted without a dog, and with a dog.
And what I have come up with, hunting without a dog, kind of sucks.
I know dogs are not legal everywhere, like here in Texas, we cant hunt deer with dogs, but its the law, so we have to shoot the deer over food.
I know its not sporting, but its the law.
Old June 27, 2010, 07:09 PM   #31
oneounceload

When I lived out West, you COULD hunt without a dog................BUT, you would be successful WITH a good pointer breed.....trying to find wild quail, and especially chukar, without a dog would be like trying to find a gold nugget in a stream - you might, but then again............

A well-trained dog is worth it's weight in birds - less miles to traverse, less missed or lost birds - in short, a better experience. Even without bagging birds, watching a good dog do its work is something wonderful
Old June 28, 2010, 01:02 PM   #32
Morgoroth

I heard you can use dogs to find antlers from white tail after they shed them.
Do you have to train the dogs for this any differently from how you would train "deer dogs"?
Old June 28, 2010, 01:16 PM   #33
Pahoo

Turtle-Dogs

Awhile back, I read an article about Turtle-Dogs. These dogs are trained to track and retrieve an endangered species of Turtles. That's what I said; Turtles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF809re2vyU
Quote:
Do you have to train the dogs for this any differently from how you would train "deer dogs"?
I believe you could train a dog to track and hunt just about anything. They hunt for cadavers, drugs and in this case, Turtles.

Be Safe !!!
Old June 28, 2010, 04:42 PM   #34
markj

Quote:
I heard you can use dogs to find antlers from white tail after they shed them.
I gave my son a German Shorthair pup 3 years ago, yesturday the boy came into my work shop with an antler. He told me the dog found it, he went on point, then slowly crept up to it and picked it up in his mouth. (the dog)

He must have scented the deer but they shed awhile ago. My boy looked around but didnt find the other side. I told him the deer probably lost it somewhere else, doubt if they drop at the same time. He was OK with that.

I bet a person could train a dog to find them.

I would get a pup to fetch using a tennis ball, then switch to deer antler till he fetches it a lot. I would then "hide" it letting him "find" it as I do with live birds to teach hunting skills. Might give it a try.
Old June 29, 2010, 06:42 AM   #35
Morgoroth

Hhhhmmmm... The wife wants a terrier next, but after that I might have to look into something a little more sporting.
Old June 30, 2010, 12:16 AM   #36
kybandit

dawgs

I don't hunt any more, but still love to watch dogs, of any sort, work game. Just recently, I took my two housedogs out with a friend and his pack of high priced beagles. My two girls ( an American Staffordshire Terrier and a Whippet/Manchester terrier mix) thoroughly humiliated the beagles in jumps, flushes and circles. My friend got all pissy after about an hour, loaded his dogs and went home.
Old July 1, 2010, 04:41 PM   #37
markj

Quote:
I might have to look into something a little more sporting.
Well my girl out of the 2000 National Field Trial champ is pregnant A lot are spoken for but I might have one left if she has a large litter as she does.
Old July 1, 2010, 05:08 PM   #38
GAR700

I have experienced nothing more rewarding than watching a dog that I raised froma pup and trained. When they get it right for the first time and for years after that, it is awesome. Nothing quite like it.
GAR
Old July 15, 2010, 09:23 PM   #39
GallowGlass

Louisiana Leopard a.k.a Catahoula

I'm working with my Blue merle Catahoula to hunt upland birds. He's young(18 mos.) & needs to be "seasoned" up around the hunt.He's a great swimmer too- webbed feet.From what I've researched they're kind of a universal hunting dog with a very interesting history-lined alot.When I got him as a rescue- I thought I had too much DOG. Energy like the Energizer Rabbit. I hope things work-out,he's a handfull.
Old July 15, 2010, 11:13 PM   #40
Fat White Boy

The guide I use to hunt pigs on the coastal hills of Central California has a couple of Catahoulas. The one we used was a pup(18 months) and I thought he was a little goofy. At first. Then he busted a 275 pound boar out of the Chaparral and ran him down... Love that dog...
Old July 15, 2010, 11:34 PM   #41
grubbylabs

I don't hunt upland game but I do water foul hunt and for me a dog is a must. In fact I am picking up a new pup August 1st. He is out of a female I sold the breeder. His name will be rider. I do have a black female that I am training for sale. She is just over a year old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rider.jpg (34.0 KB, 8 views)

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)

Tags
dogs , flush , retriever , upland , waterfowl