The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 18, 2001, 06:19 PM   #1
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Lee "pound 'em through" shotgun dies in .410?

Having taken up a bit of recent interest in a Contender .410/.45 (long) Colt) 14" Contender barrel, I do not want to go through the expense of buying factory .410 shotgun shells, but would like to have a few on hand to play around with at times.

I'd rather not go through any expense of buying a shotshell reloader, but wouldn't mind doing the "pound 'em through" Lee-thing. The Lee "pound 'em through" dies was the way I started out reloading about 38 years ago & wouldn't mind one bit for doing a few very limited runs with these .410s - beats the alternative re expense, etc.

Does Lee make the .410 dies still & any feedback re powders, etc. would be very much appreciated (as always).

BTW, very lazy today & didn't do a single seach anywhere regarding the nature of this post ....

Too, was pretty surprised at the the level of tight pattering (& penetration on a pretty stout gallon paint can) - Winchester 3", 7.5 shot (mumble load density - perhaps 11/16?, = ~25 yards oz?) ... looks like it would do pretty much any bird + rabitts to 25 yds no sweat .... plenty to play around with ....

'Course, wing shots may be awhile ...
Old June 18, 2001, 08:41 PM   #2
handgunhunting

No lee does not make the loader anymore. If you can find one in good shape expect to pay upwards of $60 for it. I too was looking for one and was surprised at the cost and decided it would be cheaper in the long run to buy a mec 600 Jr. loader for about $85.
Old June 18, 2001, 08:56 PM   #3
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Thanks for a quick reply/feedback & that does really suck.

All I was looking to get was a cheap (~$20-35 range) beat 'em through with a hammer-type of reloading outfit for .410s for way low volume ...

... Really & too bad ....

Still curious as to any "cheap & effective" .410 loads that may be <i>par excellant</i> in the Contender barrel .....
Old June 18, 2001, 09:22 PM   #4
Clark

I have done some experementing with .410 I got for $50 at a gunshow. It looks solid engough for .458 win.

I used 7.62x54R brass.
I had to cut some of the rim off.
I fire formed it, annealed it, fire formed it.
I used H110 powder.

I used 230 gr FMJ Montana Gold .452 bullets.
As I went higher and higher in pressure, the recoil became worse than any 30-06. Finnally the .385" choke split back to the bead sight. Now the choke is only .395". I don't know where that big silver bead sight went.
Old June 19, 2001, 01:33 AM   #5
Intel6

I am a .410 nut and eventhough I have a progressive .410 loader I also have two of the Lee loader kits for the .410. I got them for the novelty but I can tell you that you would not be satisfied with them. They were made back when shells were roll crimped with card wads and they really aren't useable with todays folded crimp shells.

I would second handgunhunting's suggestion to get the MEC single stage.

I have been playing with my .410's and I am on the verge of finishing the load development for a OO buck 2.5" .410 shell. It has 4 OO pellets and shoots decently. I am developing it to shoot in my M6 Scouts but it also shoots good in my .410 870.