The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 29, 2011, 11:13 PM   #26
JerryM

{A lot of us Fudds carry openly quite a bit, depending on the season. If I step out of my pickup truck, throw a rifle over my shoulder and go hunting, is that not open carry?

If I need work done on my shotgun and I drive to the gunsmith on Main Street, park four doors down and carry my shotgun to the shop, is that not open carry?}

Nope, not in the everyday meaning of the words. However, consider it as you will, but I doubt that is what the OP meant.

Regards,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old January 29, 2011, 11:55 PM   #27
Water-Man

I believe that many who are allowed to do so don't, despite all their bluster about 2A and constitutional rights, because they're uncomfortable about it or afraid someone will take their gun away from them.

To each his own.
Old January 30, 2011, 04:12 PM   #28
Puntmefar

Pyle I can open carry in KY. but rarely do and never away from my house or atleast in veiw of my house. Reason being is simply this I have had a person decide they were going to threghten to take my gun and shoot me in the ally behind my house just because he could see it. Now in fairness he was drunk but in my mind that just means he was more likely to do something stupid. In the end I changed his mind without a physical confrontation but it tought me regardless of your suroundings the sight of your gun can invite trouble..... the who is more hard core mentality. As for changing your normal dress habits you really dont have to in the winter a sweat shirt does the job in the summer a short sleve button up untucked does fine just buy a size or 2 larger than you normorally would I have several I bought just for concealing my gun. I carry outside my pants at my 3'oclock and just let my top shirt hang over it. And I carry a full size not a compact or sub, easy access and out of sight
Old January 30, 2011, 05:17 PM   #29
FireForged

In my neck of the woods, there isnt anything that prohibits open carry but its just not what I want to do. I prefer to carry concealed as it goes better with my idea of self defense strategies.
Old February 4, 2011, 03:19 AM   #30
mjbskwim

We seem to have a lot of discussion about this up here in the Northwest,with me saying there is a tactical disadvantage to OC.
One now the bad guy knows you have a gun and can formulate a plan to get it.
There is always someone faster than you that may see the gun as theirs
And the cops always seem to want to talk to you about OC and don't seem to actually know all the laws pertaining to OC
It scares the locals and makes you(and the rest of the gun community) look like "Cowboys"

Personally,I don't need to show off the fact that I have a gun on my person.That isn't anybody's business but mine,as long as I am doing it legally and safely.
Old February 4, 2011, 01:44 PM   #31
boredom

its perfectly legal to open carry in NC, but i think its silly.
Old February 4, 2011, 08:36 PM   #32
WW2

In California

It is legal to open carry. However, you must comply with the following:

1. The gun must be unloaded. No rounds in the Chamber, and no rounds in the magazine.
2. It used to be that the gun was considered loaded if you had a live round anywhere on your person. Fortunately, the courts have decided that is not the case and you can have loaded magazines on your person, but not in the gun.
3. You cannot carry within 1,000 feet of a school. Now, if you have ever looked at a map of your town and drawn a 1,000 foot circle around ALL of the schools, you will find that 98% of the area is a no-carry zone.

So, I only carry on my property. Open carry in the front yard gets too much attention, so CC is the way to go. But, I live withing 1,000 feet of an elementary school and a high school so I cannot set foot off my property while carrying. CCW is impossible to get in Riverside County CA so I must go about armed with just a 3 inch folding pocket knife.

California laws allow carrying unloaded, locked guns too and from your car and to the range so no problems there. I always carry my guns in locked cases and the ammunition in a seperate locked case and put these in the trunk of the car. Since LEOs can inspect the guns if they stop you (no warrant needed, the law states they have the right to inspect any weapons you are carrying) I make doubly sure to comply with the locked, unloaded, and ammunition in a seperate locked case provisions of the law.

Luke 22:36
Quote:
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old February 5, 2011, 07:06 PM   #33
KenpoTex

OC is legal in MO (except in certain municipalities)...

That said, I don't do it 'cause I think it's dumb to advertise (regardless of the fact that most people are oblivious).

If one wants to open carry, so be it...but I think it would be STUPID to open carry if you don't have a decent level of competence in weapons-retention. Unfortunately, I think most OC'ers would be easy-pickings for someone that really wanted to get their gun.

Matt K.

Last edited by KenpoTex; February 5, 2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old February 12, 2011, 04:58 PM   #34
DonR

a blitz attack from behind is hard to defend against...

I will add my two cents & say I think it may be a bad idea in most case. Even if you can handle yourself well, a blitz attack from behind is hard to defend against. Why advertise it. Also, there is the issue of why set yourself up to make comments like I have heard addressed at some oc’s like that person acts like a “cop-wanna-be”, “cowboy”, or “thinks he is Doc Holliday” and some of those comments. I lived 40 years in Iowa. In the country, you are probably good to go. If you OC in Iowa cities a few times, I would expect you will thinking more highly about carrying concealed before too much time passes. In a really bad area (not most places in Iowa), it could get you shot…..
Old February 12, 2011, 05:05 PM   #35
10mmAuto

Aside from the advantage of nobody knowing you're armed with concealed carry, open carry gets you funny looks. Unless you're just going to the woods or on your way to shoot, no sir.
Old February 12, 2011, 06:03 PM   #36
Nnobby45

Quote:
{A lot of us Fudds carry openly quite a bit, depending on the season. If I step out of my pickup truck, throw a rifle over my shoulder and go hunting, is that not open carry?
No. Open carry, as a general subject, referrs to carrying pistols. Also as far as many laws are concerned.

It's already established that you'll be hunting with a rifle that isn't stuffed down your pants, and that it will be visible.

What would happen if you walked into a store with an "open carried rifle"?
Old February 12, 2011, 06:07 PM   #37
BGutzman

WW2 sorry nothing against you or any other 2A believer who lives in Cali but I simply cannot tolerate such bogus stuff. If I were in your shoes I would pack up my life and move elsewhere.

This is exactly the reason why I try to not buy any products from Cali, sometimes it cant be avoided and sometimes you have no way to know but I make a effort to do so.

Its not that I don't want to support you WW2 and people like you but for the rest I cant even imagine how they live.

Sorry it isnt different, but thats whole system is totally unacceptable.
Old February 12, 2011, 06:09 PM   #38
aarondhgraham

Our new governor here in Oklahoma has an A+ grade from the NRA,,,
So when the person who initiated the open carry bill that Brad Henry vetoed reintroduces the bill,,,
I hope it gets passed just because it makes the brandishing laws a completely moot point and I won't need to worry about printing.

It is up to the individual DA as to how strictly the brandishing laws are interpreted and enforced,,,
In Payne county if your gun prints through your clothes and a cop sees it,,,
Our DA has instructed them to cite you and he pushes it hard.

As you can imagine,,,
This sucks.

An open carry provision will take this accidental showing of your gun off the law enforcement radar.

So, I hope we get it for that reason alone.

I doubt I would carry openly though,,,
I prefer the strategy of being invisible in pubic.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old February 12, 2011, 06:15 PM   #39
HeroHog

I can and do. Never had any issues and in my case, it makes sence for me. In a wheelchair, access to a hidden gun can be problimatic!

Notice the P11 sticking out of the top of my bag.

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `Nuff said.
Old February 12, 2011, 06:27 PM   #40
Ben Towe

Open Carry would be fine... if more people did it. If out of 100 people in a restaurant, fifty were open carrying then it would be unlikely that you would be picked to take the first bullet in a potential robbery. Of course who is going to rob a joint with fifty armed people inside? But if you're the only one? Might turn out badly. Of course there are exceptions, such as wheelchair bound, etc.
Old February 12, 2011, 06:52 PM   #41
Caboclo

As another poster said, opencarry.org is where you want to be. Personally, I do OC, partly as a political statement and partly because it's difficult to conceal a 5" double stack. You get a few stares, a few positive comments and a very rare negative comment. I was asked to leave one establishment by someone who seemed to think guns were illegal. I didn't bother arguing with him; there are plenty of other places competing for my business.

Re the argument that it makes you a target for the BGs, a smart BG will leave you alone and a dumb BG will try to take your gun. Since you can't choose your BG, I consider that argument to be a wash.

Re retention, I'm paranoid about losing my gun regardless of whether or not it's concealed. Therefore, I carry cross-draw in a retention holster. I like cross-draw because it keeps the gun in front of me, in my field of view and between my arms. It's also the most comfortable position, IMO.

Just be absolutely certain what your local laws are; they can change quite a bit from state to state. Ie, AK requires guns to be concealed in restaurants that serve alcohol, and MT requires them to be open. Go figure.
Old February 12, 2011, 09:15 PM   #42
Crazy88Fingers

Last time I checked OC is still illegal here in Florida. If it wasn't, I wouldn't OC anyway. I wouldn't want criminals to know I have a very desirable $500 piece of metal strapped to my hip.

Also, my limited encounters with Miami law enforcement have failed to inspire confidence, so I'd be concerned about being shot or tased by cops.
Old February 12, 2011, 09:32 PM   #43
youngunz4life

to answer your question

yes, I am for open carry and think its cool. I prefer to carry concealed myself
Old February 12, 2011, 09:36 PM   #44
Single Six

The state in which I reside allows open carry for those who don't have a CCW license. In fact, we had OC long before we had CCW. I choose to not open carry, unless I'm taking a stroll through the woods [we do have black bears]. It's just my personal choice, and I see nothing wrong with going open...but I do think that there is at least potential to needlessly alarm the gun-ignorant public by doing so. It seems to me that OC tends to scare the sheeple, some of whom may be "on the fence" when it comes to 2nd Amendment issues, and a guy [or gal] openly totin' iron may well push them in the direction of Sarah Brady. In my LE employment, I've only encountered 1 guy doing OC...no problem; it's legal, so I saw no need to say anything to him about it. Anyhow: I see nothing wrong with it, I just don't think it's necessarily wise to do so, legal or not. But that's just me.
Old February 12, 2011, 09:54 PM   #45
berettaluv83

I'm still on the fence, but would like to know that I could open carry
If I wanted to there are just times when it would make thing much
Easier. Anyone know if its legal in washington state? I know it freaks
People out when you open carry but doesn't everyone think that the guy with
His gun hidden should be the guys law enforcement should be
More concerned about. No one turns there back on a guy with a
Cannon visible on his hip. I would rather know the guys next to me has
A gun it would keep me from cutting in front of him at the check
Out counter of the grocery store. not knowing really does not make
One safer. Ignoranced doesn't change the fact that about 1 in 10 people
You pass everyday has a pistol.
Old February 13, 2011, 01:16 PM   #46
bikerbill

I've seen a lot of discussion about it here in TX. I have a CHL and carry concealed whenever I'm out of the house ... as for your question, I might try OC once or twice if it's allowed, but I prefer that my gun be concealed, mainly for the element of surprise if I ever need to use it ... IMHO, having it hanging on your hip could tempt the BG to deal with you first, before you have the opportunity to bring it to bear ...
Old February 13, 2011, 03:30 PM   #47
smince

Quote:
If I wanted to there are just times when it would make thing much
Easier.
If you want easy, just drop a J-frame or Keltec .32 in your pocket. Don't get much easier than that. Many (too many perhaps) do just that.

It's not that big a bother for me to put on my G19 and spare mag (concealed) just to run out to the store myself.
Old February 13, 2011, 04:31 PM   #48
ChileVerde1

I prefer to be discreet, except here where I have some anonymity, in all aspects as it relates to my firearms, style of carry, what I own, and where I store them.

I do this at work too when working "plain clothes" details (different than undercover) even though I don't have to. I feel it's a tactical advantage. Going unnoticed may give you the initiative in certain confrontations.
Old February 13, 2011, 06:57 PM   #49
L_Killkenny

Iowa's new law allows carry, open or concealed, with a permit only. No permit, no carry of any sort.

The open carry clause is helpful. It makes it so I don't have to have my gun completely covered to be compliant which for all my guns is tough due to size. I'm not gonna go slap on a gunfighter rig to carry a Ruger SA but I'm not gonna go outta my way to make sure no part of the gun or holster never shows either.

LK
Old February 13, 2011, 07:04 PM   #50
Nnobby45

I have no problem with laws that allow for open carry. It's legal in my community--Northern Nevada.

It doesn't, however, fit into my carry philosophy that I be just an unnoticed 'ol geezer that no one pays attention to. I think Clint Smith refers to him as "Gray Man".

For those of you who wish to be the center of attention, even to the point of making political statements, then go ahead. I've been armed around friends and acquaintances for over 15 years, and they have not the slightest clue. I'm going to keep it that way.

If having all eyes on you in restaurants, convenience stores, walking down the street, etc. is your bag, then I can live with that---thanks for making me even less noticeable.