The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 27, 2006, 11:27 AM   #1
Crosshair

I want a 10/22 SBR. Any Advice?, Want to join the NFA club.

I have been thinging of getting an NFA weapon for awhile and I think a good first step would be a SBR. What I wanted to do was get a 10/22 from my work (Wal-Mart) using my 10% discount and register the reciever as a SBR. I then wanted to put it in a bullpup stock from Dixie Consolidated. People have had "problems" with the DC stocks because you can't use a 16" barrel without going below the 26" OAL rule. Well, with a SBR reciever, that no longer applies to me. I could easy have a nice plinker that is under 20" long with a nice short barrel.

Now for the real questions.

1. Would it be OK for me to go with an Ruger aluminum reciever or should I pony up the money and get an aftermarket steel reciever. What would be the Pro/Con of going either way? Recomendations?

2. Stainless or blued reciever? The Ruger 10/22 receivers are all aluminum anyway, so does it make a difference?

3. I can put a pistol stock on a SBR reciever, correct? Only thing I can't do to it is add a fun switch.

4. I live in North Dakota, but my local range is in Minnesota. Could I take it over the river to the range and be OK legaly?

5. For starters I was planing on having the local class 2 dealer cut down the factory barrel (After the ATF says OK of course.) for me before I go buy a special barrel and play with the gun for a bit. Anything wrong with cutting down the factory barrel?

6. Any other advice you can give me?

Thanks.
Old March 27, 2006, 11:46 AM   #2
WillBrayjr

The factory reciever is just fine. The finish on the reciever doesn't matter, they're both anodized aluminum. pick whatever color you want. I'm not sure about a pistol stock for a 10/22 because I've never heard of any. State laws very, so check the Minnesota laws first. Let someone who has the right equipment cut the barrel for you so you don't screw it up.
Old March 27, 2006, 12:13 PM   #3
shaggy

A pistol grip & stock can be added to an SBR - thats not a problem under federal law.

You can take the gun acroos state lines to a state where it is legal to own or possess an NFA weapon, BUT you first have to file a form 5320.20 with BATFE. As long as you stay in your home state (where the gun is registered) you don't need the 5320.20, but if you cross state lines , you need the approved form (and it needs to be legal in the state where you'll be shooting). You can, however, file the 5320.20 for a blanket period of time (say 3 months, for example) and go back and forh during that period. I think the max amount you can get on a 5320.20 is 6 months at a time.

In order to save time, you could give the gun to your local C2 manufacturer and have them register it as an SBR (they can do it the same day) and file the form 4 while the gun is in their possession. That way while you're awaiting the approved form 4, your SOT can begin cutting down the barrel and working out any issues with function. While you're waiting for the form 4 you can shoot the gun when you're with the dealer, and it may be ready sooner than if you registered the gun and then went to the smith to cut down the barrel after its approved.

As far as I know there shouldn't be any issues with cycling as long as you keep the barrel at a reasonable length (>5"). Here's a good thread on SBR'd 10-22's on AR15.com you might want to read through; also has some nice pics if you need any ideas...

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=14&t=274826
Old April 9, 2006, 06:41 PM   #4
MDW Guns

I would safe up your money for the extras you can get for the 10/22 and just get a suppressor.
Here a picture of my 10/22:

This was a beaten up stainless model I bought for $120.
The bull barell was $80 at Midway, the stock I got for $75.
The threat on the barrel was $75.
The Gemtech retail for $300 and the NFA takes $200.
Check www.mdwguns.com for great deals!
Old April 9, 2006, 08:12 PM   #5
Bonstrosity

I'm jelous of everyone who can have a supressor. I'd love to have one. I'd definitly go the suppressor route instead of an SBR. If you really want something w/ a short barrel you could get a handgun w/out the extra tax (I didn't mean this in a bad way). Maybe you could do a little of both. an SBR w/ a silencer. Good luck on your endevors.
Old April 10, 2006, 01:26 AM   #6
Crosshair

Gaaa, now you all have me looking at the supressor idea again. My brain hurts from trying to decide between the two.
Old April 10, 2006, 06:06 AM   #7

I was just talking about doing this last night.

First of all, I can't imagine why you would choose between an SBR and a suppressor. I know that everyone on these boards thinks it's cute to post "buy both" but in this case, it is the natural thing to do. First of all, I would like to have a suppressor for everything I own, so the suppressor is a given. The noise of gun fire produces no beneficial effect that I know of. I know I certainly don't like it. But, a muzzle can makes the gun longer and less handy. Obviously, this isn't an issue if you start off with a 6"-7" barrel and then add a muzzle can. Then the gun is shorter than factory: WITH the suppressor.
That thread on AR15.com is what got me interested in this to begin with. That first gun, in the Choate stock is what I want. If anyone knows where I can just buy one already built, please tell me where to get it. I don't want to do the stock work. The thing that I think is cool about this gun is that you could put this in a backpack or suitcase: take it out, open the stock, add an optic in a quick release mount, screw a muzzle can on it and you would have a very cool little rifle. You could even go with the television secret agent look and put all that stuff in a foam lined brief case.
In theory, I would go with an aftermarket receiver that has an integral rail. It would be nice if the rail was an actual Picatinny rail and not a Weaver rail so you could make use of all the quick release mounts built for the AR15. You could have a red dot, and a standard scope and switch back and forth in seconds. But, the gun industry hasn't really discovered this yet: they are still mired in the technology of the 1930s. But, I bought a Volquartsen receiver/Kidd Trigger/AAC Phoenix suppressor for another project I have and would probably do the same on this SBR (aftermarket receiver). But, maybe your circumstances make the factory option the better alternative, if you can get a real good deal on the factory gun. I am a believer in starting out a project with a new gun. I personally have been down this road before: you spend money and time on the project and you want it to be the best it can be. Starting with a used gun, IMO would be a mistake: been there, done that. Another thing to consider on this tiny little rifle project is weight. This project almost demands the lightest possible components, so maybe the factory aluminum receiver would be the way to go ? I would definitely have the barrel threaded for a muzzle can with a thread protector. If you have the money to buy the suppressor at the same time as you get the SBR, you could send in both forms at once and hopefully get both tax stamps back at the same time. If not, you could at least have the 10/22 with a threaded barrel that you could shoot and enjoy until you get the suppressor.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old April 10, 2006, 06:40 AM   #8
Trapp

I'm gonna throw this Idea out there......

Why NFA it? Make a 10/22 pistol.

This is how:
Buy a VQ receiver, about $200. Have your dealer log it down as intended to make a pistol.

Buy a 10/22, about $200. Get the bbl work done, with threading.

Assemble your pistol with the VQ receiver and the 10/22 parts.

Buy a can, (Get the .223 can so it is versatile).

Now you have a 10/22 pistol with Can that you can SBR later if you want a stock. You also have the base platform to built a tricked out 10/22 rifle (which you Can will also work on, not to mention your AR, or other evil, fun gun!).

You can also convert your pistol into a rifle, if you buy a stock length (16+") bbl.
Old April 10, 2006, 10:12 AM   #9

Why ?

Why wouldn't you just do it right and get a tax stamp ?
What advantage is there to having a 10/22 pistol ?
.22 pistols are a dime a dozen.
Pocket Rifles are not.

Don't buy a .223 can. The .223 can is WAY heavier in weight and construction than you need for a .22. I have an AAC M4-2000 .223 suppressor that is rated for unlimited full auto: I certainly wouldn't want it hanging on the end of a short .22 pocket rifle (or pistol).

But, if that is what pulls your chain, I am sure you will enjoy it.
Old April 10, 2006, 02:01 PM   #10
Trapp

Quote:
Why wouldn't you just do it right and get a tax stamp ?
What advantage is there to having a 10/22 pistol ?
.22 pistols are a dime a dozen.
I was just throwing the idea out there.

It is what I did. As for the advantage I now have a reliable high capacity 22 pistol. It has an 11.5" bbl and a bipod. It very well suited for bench, plinking, "shootin' from the hip", and even hunting.

I may or may not get a tax stamp. The stock really is not that important to me, and how I shoot it.
Old April 10, 2006, 04:58 PM   #11

Yeah, there arn't many handguns with a 30 round magazine.