The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 20, 2015, 04:58 AM   #1
peggysue

Cheap beer and cheap guns

OK just bringing up I drink cheap beer (Milwaukee's Best Ice).
That aside i bought 2 inexpensive guns off Buds for ships and giggles.
(Keep in mind I have a LOT OF GUNS.)
Bought another USFA/Zip pistol in Coyote Tan. A jam-o-matic but it is Tan and was only $120.
The other is a Cobra Patriot 45ACP. Wanted one for years. (I have 7 1911's in all variations). If you research the 45 Patriot they are not bad for the $275 I paid for a new one. Look better than a Hi-Point. Also take 1911 mags. Be fun to give it a buff and fluff and see how it does with the right ammo. Heard silver tips shoot flawless.
I will toss some pictures on when they come in next week.

And so it goes. A incurable gun addict.
ROGER
Old March 20, 2015, 05:35 AM   #2
1stmar

Let us know how they shoot, especially the patriot. At $279 almost anything is worth a gamble.
Old March 20, 2015, 07:35 AM   #3
Ibmikey

US Firearms, managed to discontinue the best made SAA in the country and produce junk zip staple guns that no one wants. Hate to see those beautiful SAA's go the way of the do-do bird.
Old March 20, 2015, 10:49 AM   #4
peggysue

I agree on USFA. I,ve a USFA 12/22 'Special' Revolver, 22LR, 12 Shot, 5" Blue Finish. Beautiful hog leg.
Old March 20, 2015, 11:25 AM   #5
armoredman

Used to drink the Beast, but then Safeway started carrying Rolling Rock at the same price...
Old March 20, 2015, 11:26 AM   #6
WIL TERRY

WHAT an AWFUL way to live....cheap beer....cheap guns....CHEAP is TOO G..D... expensive.
And so it goes...
Old March 20, 2015, 12:51 PM   #7
peggysue

Ah but I have many many guns that are expensive. You name it I have one. I just like these orphan types to see if they work or if I can get them to work.
I have 2 Rogak pistols (at discount prices)that are boat anchors. I tried for years to make one working gun but gave up after a couple years. Any one want to buy a Rogak...LOL

Last edited by peggysue; March 20, 2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old March 20, 2015, 03:12 PM   #8
Bill DeShivs

When I drank, I drank MB Light. It's pretty good beer.
I also have an appreciation for the less-common guns. Most are junk, but many are quite good firearms.
Old March 20, 2015, 05:43 PM   #9
blchandl2

Nothing wrong with 'inexpensive guns". They are some of my favorite shooters.
Arcus 98DA
ATI MS380
PT92
PT99

Been looking at the Gran Power K100 at J&G for $300.
Old March 20, 2015, 07:25 PM   #10
Drm50

Good beer and good guns

I don't buy cheap guns. I found you can buy a good used gun for price of a new
junk novelty gun.
Rolling Rock is a premium beer, made from pure mountain spring water in the
glass lined tanks of old Latrobe. Green Death!
Old March 20, 2015, 07:41 PM   #11
old bear

Quality counts

I can only hope that each and every one of you, quickly, learn that life is to short to: Dance with ugly people, Drive a dirty car, Drink cheap whiskey, or own cheap firearms.

ADDED:

Sevens, it appears that you and I assume others missed the implied message in my post. After reading it again, I realize that I did not do the best job of explaining myself.
My post was not about owning less than pristine firearms or drinking the most expensive beer, or my ego, which can be outsized, from time to time. It was an attempt to explain that no one should have to SETTLE for less than they really want. If someone is happy with less than pristine firearms or anything else that is just fine, be happy with and enjoy what you have. I will again suggest that no one should have to settle for less than they really want, and can expect to be able to own.

Last edited by old bear; March 21, 2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old March 20, 2015, 08:42 PM   #12
Sevens

I find it curious, 'old bear', that quality appears to be of utmost importance to you, but yet it appears nowhere in your post? What a pity. Can only hope that one day... (meh, I'll be honest -- don't hope & care even less)

To the subject:
Funny that cheap guns are being compared with cheap beer. Not a bad comparison, but I would ask of the op...

Since you say you have many guns, and some not at all cheap, I am curious if you also often enjoy expensive, high-brow beer as well? Because it would seem uncommon to drink all manners of exclusive beer and continue to swill The Beast also.

Myself, I enjoy the full spectrum of guns and I can also enjoy my cheap ones, too. And the subject here quickly reminds me that I cannot stand or listen to beer snobs and gun snobs are often equally worthless.

Y'know what I fully understand & appreciate?
Folks that are passionate with the things they enjoy... and can be that way without tearing down something else to do it.
Old March 20, 2015, 09:07 PM   #13
slugchucker

Beer chat & sermons

Odd bedfellows. Back to OP, eager to here your report on the patriot 45. I am interested in this firearm.
Old March 20, 2015, 09:08 PM   #14
armoredman

I have a rifle that wouldn't get $50 in a pawn shop, a rebuilt Spanish 1916 Mauser that was rebarreled to 8mm, and is only used with cast loads to preserve the old girl. Still a fun rifle to shoot.
Rolling Rock is good stuff. Also like Mudshark when I have the extra cash.
Old March 20, 2015, 10:12 PM   #15
Sevens

A cheap handgun I own that puts a smile on my face:

Norinco T213, 9mm
It's the Chinese copy of the Tokarev. Solid as a rock, runs flawlessly on my handloads and is an accurate pistol. If I want to point out some complaints... it has many sharp edges, the "necessary for import" added manual safety is awful and the front sight is tiny and hard to pick up quickly. But what a pleasure to shoot!

And one added, comical bonus on this pistol... some guy in a Chinese factory had the task of putting English lettering on the slide and simply judging by the non-linear fashion in which they appear, the guy did not have one big stamp with all of his lettering, the guy had single letter stamps.

And on mine, he actually misspelled "China" as "CHIAN" and now I have to look closely at every other T213 I come across just to check his spelling.
Old March 20, 2015, 11:20 PM   #16
Model12Win

I drink Olde English 800 malt liquor and buy Mosins... now THAT'S a cheap mike foxtrot right there!!!
Old March 21, 2015, 12:59 AM   #17
45Gunner

When it comes to beer and guns, you get what you pay for.
NRA Life Member
Old March 21, 2015, 03:33 AM   #18
jughead2

cheap guns and beer

before i retired i drank expensive beer. never had any left over on week end camping trips my cooler was the favorite in the crowd. after retirement i learned to like MBL now i have beer left over on every trip. lack of funds changes a lot of things
Old March 21, 2015, 07:44 AM   #19
tallball

Mass-produced American lager all tastes pretty much the same. If you aren't going to buy a real beer (stout, Belgian ale, doppelbock, etc) you might as well buy the cheap stuff. I used to brew and judge contests and so forth.

I like good guns. That means they work well. The price doesn't matter. I have killed dozens of deer, squirrels, rabbits, etc with my Chinese SKS. It is a good gun, regardless of its cheap price.
Old March 21, 2015, 08:30 AM   #20
JERRYS.

reminds me of a neighborhood bar back in Cleveland.... a lot of the old timer cops use to down all kinds of cheap swill... Hams, Schaffers, Blatz, Lowenbrau, Meister brau, POC, Pabst... while the beer was cheap, the model 10s they had weren't.... especially the 2" versions.
Old March 21, 2015, 08:37 AM   #21
Dan-O

I have a Patriot .45 and it's one of my favorite carry .45's. Mine definitely needed the feed ramp polished, but other than that it has been a really solid little gun.

I've since put bicycle inner tubing on the grip, and painted the front sight with neon green paint.
Pretty sure there's a guy on this forum that double sprung the recoil rod assembly and was shooting .45 super or maybe even .460 rowland pressure loads in .45 super cases through this gun.
Oh, and I'm a beer slut myself. I keep my beer fridge stocked with Keystone Light, but drink and make the whole spectrum from sours to imperial stouts.
Old March 21, 2015, 11:41 AM   #22
armoredman

Beer and guns in the same thread - any leftist reading this has likely wet himself by now.
Old March 21, 2015, 12:02 PM   #23
Shadi Khalil

I have not had a beer in years but when I did drink, I really had no standards. Since I'm able to pull off roughly one gun a year, I always try and get the most for my money. Maybe one of these years, instead of one moderatly priced gun I'll get a few Ravens.
Old March 21, 2015, 12:16 PM   #24
Cheapshooter

I will be watching to see your report on the USA Zip. I haven't a clue why, but I want one of those goofy looking things. The first ones were a total disaster with hot brass dropping the shooters hand, and never firing more than a round or two in a row without jamming. Then they supposedly redid them. Now I hear the only problems are hot brass dropping in the shooter's hand, and they won't fire more than one or two rounds in a row without jamming!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 21, 2015, 04:16 PM   #25
Model12Win

I also drink Pilsner Urquell and shoot Charter Arms .44 special bulldogs!

Closed Thread