The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 9, 2012, 12:59 AM   #1
Newton24b

fur fight here, lets get talking

alright here is the deal. when it comes to handguns and hunting the following standards are universally applied

180-200 grain bullet at a measured 1000 fps.
largest diameter meplat if using a solid bullet, solids prefered
200-300 grain lead solid/jacketed bullet any velocity over 900 fps

thats the standard from 357 to 44 spcl, 44 magnum, 45 colt. thats the standards that have been pushed but the muzzle energy has never really been brought up.
these bullets ahve the mass to just blow through and not need that much energy, just look at the 255 grain 45 colt bullets.. they do beautiful structural damage. and if they are an expanding bullet, they make a bigger hole.

i can get a compact revolver in 44 special, 45 colt, 44 magnum, 357 and use one of these bullets and have all the fun i want from it. But ironically if i say for example, "lets get a charter or taurus 4 inch barrel compact gun,sight it in and use it for deer) its as iff im proposing the use of a 22 short in a 2 inch snubby to hunt grizzle bear
Old March 9, 2012, 07:07 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

This is a rather "Who cares?" thing. If the deer is dead and turned into supper, what difference does it make?

"Numbers don't kill. Bullets do."
Old March 9, 2012, 07:14 AM   #3
jmr40

You won't hear me complaining about your choices. They'll do the job, just at reduced ranges. As long as you understand that and have the skills to get close enough and make a clean shot I have no problem. I'd hunt with any of those from a revolver with at least a 4" barrel.

Some guys seem to think that just because they don't have the skills to ethically do something that it is somehow wrong for someone else to do it, even if the other person has the ability to do it and make it look easy.
Old March 9, 2012, 08:35 PM   #4
Keg

I know a fella that hunts with handguns exclusively..and I mean a revolver with open sights...He normally shoots a 41 mag.....
Old March 9, 2012, 08:53 PM   #5
Newton24b

the longest shot ive ever had to take was 60 yards, and that was with a rifle. i know i can get the short range easily, especially when it comes to does but yet even guys who hunt with a percussion revolver or single shot think its "funny"to basically use a stretched out snub nose.
Old March 9, 2012, 10:23 PM   #6
BIG P

Dont know about those Standards We're talkin about.Anything centerfire is legal here. 25 auto ok.32cal. ok. Barrel lenth dont matter.sights dont matter

I hunt a good bit with a 45acp. Deer & hogs.Must be bad to not hunt with what you tote. JMO.
Old March 10, 2012, 11:55 AM   #7
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

For 26 years my deer gun was a Dan Wesson .357 with a 4" barrel. It has been replaced with a 41 mag in 4" for woods walking and my 44 mag with 7 1/2" for sitting in my stand where I might get a longer shot. All 3 shoot to the same point of aim at 100 yards, funny how that worked out. Deer won't know the difference so who cares if you don't impress your friends with a 10" barrel.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old March 10, 2012, 12:35 PM   #8
Shotgun693

I regularly hunt with a Colt's SAA, 5 1/2" barrel, in .45 Colt. I pass on long range shots but bring home meat. If you can then do, if you can't then don't.