The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 16, 2004, 10:01 AM   #1
The Plainsman

Corn & walnut or Walnut & corn

This is driving me nuts. I'm new to reloading and the process of cleaning brass has become the single point of confusion.

I've got all the appliances, but what to use when is crazy.

Do I use corn media for preliminary cleaning and polish with walnut media or clean with walnut and polish with corn?

Forget about the cider vinegar methods and dishwashers, etc. I just want to know - corn then walnut or walnut then corn???
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
--Thomas Jefferson
Old June 16, 2004, 10:39 AM   #2
rwilson452

walnut corn

either or both. Walnut will clean faster but doesn't put as fine a finish on the brass. Unless you insist on brightly polished brass all you need is walnut. you can clean with just corn but it will take much longer to clean the brass. If you want to use both it would be walnut then corn. I don't use corn anymore. I want clean not pretty.
Old June 16, 2004, 03:54 PM   #3
JoeHatley

Just use walnut. If you want a high shine add a bit of Brasso.

Best of both worlds...

Joe
Old June 16, 2004, 06:36 PM   #4
Dave R

I just use corn. And I added a Tbsp. of car wax. Petroleum based. That gives a nice shine and has not shown any sign of contaminating powder or primers.
Old June 16, 2004, 06:54 PM   #5
norielX

I like the shine...

So I use the Corn. I once put a little Flitz in my corn media and I ended up blinded by the glare!
Old June 17, 2004, 04:48 AM   #6
JMC

I use plain walnut for really dirty brass and corn cobb with Dillon brass polish for the final touch or for brass that is only slightly dirty (normal range use).
Old June 17, 2004, 12:21 PM   #7
The Plainsman

Thanks, ya'll

It still kinda looks like a situation of - ya pays yer money and ya takes yer pick.

I appreciate your feedback, though. TFL troops come through again. This (and THR) are populated by swell folks - not to mention helpful.

I'll letcha know what happens and how it turns out.
Old June 17, 2004, 02:27 PM   #8
mack69

Re:

I use the crushed nut shells with rouge added (think it's called Tuff Nut) and also squirt a tablespoon or so of carnuba car wax in the mix. Tumble for a few hours and shake, rattle and roll....my brass is nice and shiny.....good luck. mack

www.illinoiscarry.com
Old June 17, 2004, 06:50 PM   #9
Throckmorton

Be careful with additives...

I use walnut with an oz. of flitz media polish...give or take.
It shines like crazy and only takes about an hour.
BUT..
today I found out why I sometimes get duds at the range.
I tap each case on the tumbler as I take it out and hand inspect 'em for splits,etc.
SURPRISE!! In one of the caes was some media packed in tight in the bottom.Noe way would a primer have fired that one!
so now I'm taking another step to reloading...a good flashlight and a peek inside each case.Takes a lot less time to do it now than take a miss at a match...I'm slow enough without costing myself extra time with bad ammo.
Old June 21, 2004, 06:46 PM   #10
norielX

Yep, watch that media!!!

I add in my Flitz and then let the tumbler run for a few minutes until I see that all of the clogged up media has broken apart. If you put Flitz in while the cases are in there, then you really have to check to make sure that your cases don't have media in them. I decap first and then clean, so I also decap again when I resize just to make sure the flash holes aren't clogged. I always take the extra time to make sure all of my cases are clean. I'm using a single stage, so I guess that means I'm not in a real rush to get things done. I also use a powder that fills up the case at least by half, so if I were to have some media in the case, it'd look like a double charge when I'm going through my inspection before bullet seating.
Old June 24, 2004, 09:50 PM   #11
grunewaj

I use whatever is handy. Recently, I've been using walnut shell media with Midway's polish. You can get walnut shell media for a very good price at large pet stores. It's sold as bird litter (who knew!).

Good luck!
The government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they can't get and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten, that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time is made good by looting A to satisfy B. In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods.

-- H. L. Mencken
Old June 25, 2004, 02:51 AM   #12
Edmond

I use DCB
Old June 25, 2004, 10:29 PM   #13
Case

When I started reloading years ago I used walnut one time. Nasty, powdery stuff was all over everything and made a bigger mess than it was worth, and its results were nothing better than those of corn.

I've used nothing but corn ever since, with a capfull of any commercial brass cleaner thoroughly mixed so none of the media sticks together before adding the brass.

Couple of hours later and the cases are clean as a hound's tooth. And I use the same batch of corn for 1,000 cases or more -- just add another capfull of cleaner each session.
Old June 25, 2004, 10:47 PM   #14
PDshooter

Sorry! I don't buy FRENCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old June 30, 2004, 06:16 AM   #15
MADISON

Walnut or Corn Cob media

I use walnut media that comes from the pet store.
I have head it said that to get very good results do this:
Mix:
75% Walnut hull media
25% Corn Cob media
Old July 7, 2004, 02:24 PM   #16
Master Blaster

I have used both, currently I favor corn with a tablespoon of mineral spirits added and the tumbler run until the clumps are gone. When I used the walnut, it was the fine grade from the petstore, You just have to look at the bag to make sure you dont get one with alot of dust in it. I had one bag with a ton of fine dust that I returned, the store owner told me that sometimes they come with the dust and most times not, just look at the bag before you buy.

Walnut is good for really dirty cases, followed by corn to bring up a shine. Mineral spirits seems to add a sparkle without using any polish, Iread somewhere that it also prevents corrosion of the cases with long term storage.
Old July 7, 2004, 06:54 PM   #17
Paul Fitz Jones

Walnut then Corn

Walnut with paint thinner for empty cases.
Corn with Kerosene for loaded ammo with lead bullets
The Kerosene removes bullet lube and stops corrosion of brass and lead in long term storage.

An Old Survivalist
Police Firearms Instructor
Old November 9, 2004, 11:59 AM   #18
Nolan

Brasso

Beware of using Brasso to polish brass. The NRA reloading column wrote a long article on the dangers of using it. It attacks the brass and weakens it according the THEIR expert. Don't jump my case, I'm the messenger not the message. <grin> I have been using the Dillon polish and it works well. Nope, I don't own a Dillon press. Too many $$$ for me. I use the worthless Lee Pro-1000 to do .45 ACP.

I'm laughing. Yes, the Dillon is among the best reloaders out there. And, it is among the most expensive. But, be sure that you really want to reload before purchasing any kind of equipment. The odds are that large numbers of new shooters and reloaders will give up the "sport" withing a year or two. Will the Lee last two years? Is it cheaper than the Dillon? If ya are new to the reloading "sport," and purchase a Dillon, just be sure to keep me in mind in a couple of years. I'll give ya $150 for a Dillon 650. <huge grin> BTW, I've been using progressive reloaders since 1964...ole "gramps."
Old November 9, 2004, 12:03 PM   #19
Nolan

Media

As for polishing media, here is what I do. I had and old Model B tumbler and purchased a Dillon "vibratory" polisher. So, I put walnut in the Model B and corncob in the Dillon. I begin cases that really need polishing in the Model B tumbler for a short time, and then transfer them to the Dillon for the final polish--using Dillon polish in the media. Heck, I'm retired and have lots of time on my hands...<grin>
Old November 12, 2004, 12:16 AM   #20
HUBEL458

First post in a couple years. I use this industrial polisher with 30 lbs
of Lyman green cob media and the brass shines like gold, even BMG
brass that had black grunge on them.The machine will hold 3 times that
much.Here is picture with a couple hundred BMG cases. This shaker
should draw in the biggest worm, for us to use our wildcats on......Ed.

Old November 12, 2004, 11:05 PM   #21
OfcrBill

Both work just fine for me

Great info fellas, I am very happy to read all your posts. I found out through my own trial and error that if I mixed both together, I get pretty good results. I stopped paying for the expensive cleaners and just use turtle wax chrome polish. I pour maybe 1/4 cup (?) in as the tumbler is on, I wait at least 3-6 minutes and pour my decapped shells in. I leave 'em in anywhere from 5 hrs to overnight. After they are sifted, I resize and prime the shells. You must resize after tumbling to ensure media is removed from primer flash hole. I get my media cheap by buying it when the gun show comes into town. This works for me, and has been for the 6+ yrs I been reloading. Keep it simple and don't sweat the small stuff.