Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 22, 2001, 05:11 PM   #1
cuerno de chivo

Paddle Holster for SW342PD w/ Thumb-Break

Is there such an animal?

TIA
Old August 28, 2001, 07:39 PM   #2
Covert Mission

Don't know, but I would love to read your report from shooting the gun. Is it the Ti/Scandium frame model, with Ti cylinder, weighing in at around 12oz? How is it shooting .38+P? Is the recoil severe? I am considering an Airweight 640 to go with my steel 640, but at 16oz, the Airweight is enough heavier than the Ti models to have lots less recoil. The recoil of the 11-12oz guns deters me... Thanks

[email protected]
Old August 28, 2001, 11:18 PM   #3
cuerno de chivo

"Is it the Ti/Scandium frame model, with Ti cylinder, weighing in at around 12oz?"

10.8 ounces empty is the reported weight. Wearing a Barami Hip-Grip and loaded, my SW342PD weighs ~ 14 ounces.

"How is it shooting .38+P?"

I haven't used any. It is recommended not to shoot LEAD bullets loaded to +p as bullet jump might occur due recoil. +p jacketed bullets are supposed to be fine. From experience, I can tell you that this will happen with CCI shotshells which TMK are not crimped at all.

"Is the recoil severe?"

Practice sessions of 250rds cause sore hands for a few days. 50rd sessions don't have any after effects. Recoil is definitely sharper than its aluminium cousin, the 642. But the light weight makes it more "carryable" than a 642 to me (my previous carry gun was a 642 Lady Smith).
Old August 29, 2001, 02:33 PM   #4
don't shoot it's me

Just curious, why would you want a paddle holster for such a small, light gun....the holster would almost weigh more than the gun....but I'm sure they make them....check out price western leather...
Old August 29, 2001, 03:49 PM   #5
cuerno de chivo

For situations where open carry would be the only legal option available to me. I'm thinking of going the Fobus route now though.