The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Sig 220 v Sig 226: which was better West German product?
Sig P220 12 31.58%
Sig P226 26 68.42%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 20, 2010, 02:19 PM   #1
Firepower!

Sig 220 v Sig 226: which was better West German product?

Hi Guys
This is just recreational exercise, but I am curious to know what you feel. I want to know among Sig P220 and Sig P226, which was better made out of West Germany? Better meand quality, reliability and accuracy. I am asking this question because among a close group of friends here we have this dispute since some have 226 and some have 220.

I am putting this question on TFL because you guys in the US probably shoot more brass than any other civilian nation, therefore, may have better first hand experience to share.

Thanks.
Old February 20, 2010, 02:25 PM   #2
christcorp

Both W. Germany made are definitely better than the newer models. The quality control was renown world-wide. So it really depends on the caliber that you want. For me, it's the 45acp, so the P220. But quality wise, both are excellent.
Old February 20, 2010, 02:32 PM   #3
wnycollector

ALL of my SIG's are of west german origin. They are all of impeccable quality, accuracy and durability. I agree with christcorp it comes down to caliber preference.
Old February 20, 2010, 02:46 PM   #4
DBAR

It's really going to come down to which one, one happens to own, or which one happens to be ones' favorite. The P220 was the original Sig, and I believe it was originally chambered in 9mm as a single stack. The US market demands had Sig create the P220 as we know it today. The P226 evolved out of the need for a high capacity, full size 9mm.

Both are accurate as hell, and both a really good handguns.

One could say that this is basically the 9mm vs. the .45 acp debates, with the guns being used as the subject of the debate.

DBAR
Old February 20, 2010, 03:41 PM   #5
LanceOregon

Why on earth would one think that there was a difference??

This question baffles me.

Old February 20, 2010, 05:13 PM   #6
Firepower!

Like I said, it is to settle a recreational debate nothing serious. Just vote on whatever criteria you use, and let us know your reasoning if you feel like. Thanks.
Old February 20, 2010, 05:54 PM   #7
FALshootist

I voted for the West German P220. I've owned one since 93. Its accurate and for the most part reliable, what **** ups its had have been traced to mags springs. However, its D/A trigger pull is for ****, S/A is outstanding.

My made in America SIG 239 in 40 has been perfect in every way. Reliable accurate, perfect. I bought it in 95 if IIRC and its never needed a mag spring change or anything. Both the D/A and S/A trigger pulls are outstanding, smooth as can be. Its the gun I use to prove people wrong when they claim the 40 S&W is inaccurate.

The only thing about these guns I'm disapointed in is that the West German P 220 is not as good as the American made P239. By reputation and cost the P220 should be the best of the best. It goood but not better than the P239.
Old February 20, 2010, 07:01 PM   #8
LanceOregon

Any firearm, no matter what model, or from what manufacturer, is going to suffer from manufacturing inconsistencies. Firearms are still being made by human beings, and humans are fallible and make mistakes.

If there was a perfect model of gun, that was always perfect in every way, we would all own that firearm.

My experience with the P220 and P239 is just the opposite of yours. Neither trigger pull nor accuracy of my American made P239 could quite match that of my P220. And that was even before I had a gunsmith upgrade my P220 with a match barrel. Now the P239 was very good by most standards, but my P220 was simply better.

Anyway, as I said before, this whole question is rather meaningless and pointless. The P220 and the P226 are extremely similar in design, and are manufactured at the same factories. It is IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to say that one is superior to the other. So this question really cannot be legitimately answered either way. It is thus pointless to debate.

If one wants a SIG in .45 ACP, then you get the P220 Otherwise, buy a P226.

Of course if you want an even better DA/SA combat pistol than either the P220 or P226, my opinion is that folks should consider getting the more modern Beretta PX4 Storm. Mine easily outclasses either of my SIG's.

Old February 20, 2010, 08:44 PM   #9
FALshootist

Don't get me wrong the accuracy from My P220 is excellent just what it should be and I didn't need an after market barrel installed by a gun smith. It is an overall great gun or I would have sold it more than a decade ago but its not perfect by any means.

The only problems I had with it is a heavy, gritty D/A trigger pull. The S/A pull is easily on par with my Colt 1911s (excellent). The reliability problems , like I previously stated were SIG magazine related (but this as you say could be true of any gun).

However, as I also stated my American made P239 has been perfect in every respect.

My only b!tch with the p220 is that for the price it should have been at least equal to the 239.
Old February 20, 2010, 10:43 PM   #10
stuffaknuckle

I had a west german 228. Loved everything about it but the 9mm. Im a 45 guy so I voted 220
Old February 21, 2010, 12:30 AM   #11
christcorp

Quote:
Any firearm, no matter what model, or from what manufacturer, is going to suffer from manufacturing inconsistencies.
Lance; that is so true. HOWEVER: Every once in a while, there are some truly "As close to perfect" guns that do come along. And the only reason people wind up with other guns is because of either physical incompatibilities, personal preference or because they've bought into the hype of "newer is better". It's not because of the weapon. Certain guns that come to mind do include the W. German P220. Along with that, the original S&W Model 10/13/19. The M1 Garand. Mauser 98. Winchester Model 94. S&W Model 29. Springfield 1903. Ruger Mark I. Colt Peacemaker. Colt/Springfield 1911A1. AK-47. Ruger Blackhawk.

These as well as some others do stand out among their peers. I agree that nothing is perfect, these guns did not suffer from manufacturing inconsistencies. Yes, there was the occasional physical flaw, but that's not an inconsistency. And many of these weapons; especially military oriented; went through many modifications. But these and others are definitely at a quality level above many others.
Old February 21, 2010, 03:23 AM   #12
Firepower!

It is personal preference that is why stated initially this is for recreational purpose. Not a professional question to be critiqued and debate and what not.
Old February 21, 2010, 05:00 AM   #13
kuku

Forget about the caliber. Let’s just say both are 9mm or .45. Which guns would you vote for?
Old February 21, 2010, 05:25 AM   #14
3rdDragoon

I would offer an opinion on the build quality of a Sig I have recently handled, the P250 in .40S&W

The only other Sigs I have shot are (as luck would have it) a P226 and a P220

Loved both of the latter, probably favour the P226 as i found it a little more controllable in rapid fire.

On the other hand - the P250 was horrible. Terrible trigger, sight radius, and the idea of a change out trigger group in a service handgun is just plain dumb. The thing fell apart as soon as was given some rough handling.

I dunno where the current P250's are made, but they (at least the one I shot) was a lemon. The West Germans must have done something right with the original Sigs.
Old February 21, 2010, 05:31 AM   #15
Firepower!

West German factor

......and would it make a difference if one is West German and the other is current German production?
Old February 21, 2010, 05:52 AM   #16
kuku

let me put it this way. both are 9mm or .45 but the 220 is made in west germany and 226 in germany. which one would you go for?
Old February 21, 2010, 08:25 PM   #17
LanceOregon

Quote:
Forget about the caliber. Let’s just say both are 9mm or .45. Which guns would you vote for?

That is totally meaningless. One was designed to be a single stack pistol to support the .45 Auto, while the other is a double stack magazine design meant to support the 9mm and .40 S&W

Can anyone point out any other significant difference in the design of these two guns? They are basically the same gun, just designed to support different ammo and cartridge capacities.

They are so extremely similar, that SIG even includes the same manual with each gun.

Old February 21, 2010, 08:36 PM   #18
LanceOregon

Quote:
It is personal preference that is why stated initially this is for recreational purpose. Not a professional question to be critiqued and debate and what not.

You are now contradicting what you said in your initial post. You originally said that you wanted to know which one was superior in terms of quality, reliability, and accuracy.

The answer is that NEITHER gun is superior to the other in any of these categories. The whole premise for your question is thus invalid. It is impossible to conclude that one gun is better than the other in these areas.

Old February 21, 2010, 08:36 PM   #19
Rinspeed

Just by nature of the recoil force the 226 should last a lot longer before something breaks. I don't think that makes it better but it is a fact.
Old February 21, 2010, 09:25 PM   #20
TangoMcBlasty

Quote:
Can anyone point out any other significant difference in the design of these two guns? They are basically the same gun, just designed to support different ammo and cartridge capacities.
Gonna have to go with Lance on this one. Is there really a difference between the P220 and P226 other than that the former is designed for a single stack mag and the latter for a double stack? The only real distinguishing mechanical feature that I can think of is that early European P220s had a heel mag release. I don't know that you could make an objective comparison on "quality, reliability and accuracy" based on that alone though.

I'm actually surprised that there is bias in the poll. I own both a P220 and P225/P6 and I see no difference between them in terms of quality, reliability, and accuracy. I would assume you could say the same for any of the models in the SIG Classic line.

Last edited by TangoMcBlasty; February 22, 2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old February 22, 2010, 09:33 AM   #21
Firepower!

I dont see how 226 is in lead if it comes to only caliber preference. This is because if that was the case as some of the posters stated, poll being on a US forum, 45 should have led, not 9mm. Therefore, it nullifies that hpotheisis that 220 or 226 will simply be chosen on caliber preference.
Old February 22, 2010, 09:35 AM   #22
Firepower!

Quote:
You are now contradicting what you said in your initial post. You originally said that you wanted to know which one was superior in terms of quality, reliability, and accuracy.

The answer is that NEITHER gun is superior to the other in any of these categories. The whole premise for your question is thus invalid. It is impossible to conclude that one gun is better than the other in these areas.
No contradictions here, Lance. I stated from the begining that the poll is for recreational purpose, and never asked for hardcore data- just opinon on which is better in terms of quality, reliability and accuracy. Opinion is only but an opinion.
Old February 22, 2010, 12:11 PM   #23
TangoMcBlasty

Quote:
I dont see how 226 is in lead if it comes to only caliber preference. This is because if that was the case as some of the posters stated, poll being on a US forum, 45 should have led, not 9mm.
You're making a HUGE assumption here that is liable to open a super-sized barrel of man-eating worms. Tread carefully.

Quote:
Therefore, it nullifies that hpotheisis that 220 or 226 will simply be chosen on caliber preference.
Since the P220 is currently only available in .45 ACP, I don't see how there would be anything else that would compel one to chose one gun over the other besides caliber. The only real difference between a current P220 and P226 other than caliber is grip thickness since, as stated before, the P220 is a single stack design and the P226 a double stack. But I find this fact to be irrelevant since you could find a chambering other than .45 ACP in a similarly slim grip in other SIG Sauer offerings (i.e. you wouldn't be confined to the P220 if you wanted a slimmer grip in a caliber other than .45 ACP).

Again, all this is inconsequential to your original post which was comparing quality, reliability, and accuracy. They are the same for both guns. I believe the bias you see the for the P226 in your poll is merely noise created by user preference.

Pardon me for saying but your question is seriously loaded and I don't expect you'll get a real answer because there is none. It would be like asking which is better: Glock XX or Glock YY?
Old February 22, 2010, 12:29 PM   #24
DBAR

Quote:
They are basically the same gun, just designed to support different ammo and cartridge capacities.
EXACTLY....
Old February 22, 2010, 12:59 PM   #25
PeterGunn

The platforms are essentially the same...

The only answers that have been offered and can be offered will be subjective.

PeterGunn

Tags
.45 acp , 9mm , sig p220 , sig p226 , sig sauer