The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 29, 2013, 06:34 PM   #1
h518may

Thank god I came to my senses!!

Hello all!! I recently posted about how I was suffering from 1911 fever and that the only way I could afford one now was to sell my chiappa rhino 40ds .357. THANK GOD I came to my senses!! It is my second favorite revolver I own next to my precious s&w 686!! ( thanks to all who posted replies to me telling me how much I would miss my rhino if I sold it) matter of fact, along w/ a 1911, I would love to own another rhino!! Anyone else ALMOST sell a gun only to realize what a huge mistake it would've been?
Old June 29, 2013, 10:24 PM   #2
OcelotZ3

No, I've never sold a gun yet, but I would have recommended keeping the Rhino. I've got a 50DS and it's one of my favorite guns. 1911s are great (have quite a few), but the Rhino is just so cool & a great shooter.
Old June 30, 2013, 08:11 AM   #3
h518may

Hey ocelot, what caliber is yours in? Is it in .40? Would like to have one to go with my glock 27!
Old June 30, 2013, 11:33 AM   #4
Hammerhead

Several times I didn't come to my senses in time and did sell/trade favorite guns for others that weren't the same.

Recently I've been thinking of selling my Freedom Arms model 97 .357 for a high end 9mm 1911. I came to my senses and decided to just buy a used Glock and sell nothing.

Would sure love to give that Rhino a try.
Old June 30, 2013, 07:50 PM   #5
h518may

Hammerhead you would love it man!! If you love shooting hot magnums u will be surprised how well the rhino softens felt/perceived recoil! Plus the flat sided cylinder helps it conceal surprisingly well. One knock I've heard on it is the lack of/availability of holsters. The answer was the clip draw. LOVE it on my rhino. I would recommend them to any fellow rhino owners who are frustrated by not finding a holster.
Old July 1, 2013, 02:21 PM   #6
ckpj99

When I first started shooting, I swore I wouldn't sell guns. And technically, I haven't sold them. But I have traded a lot.

My first purchase, a S&W Model 10, which I still own.

Second purchase, a Savage .22 semi-auto something or other. If any pressure was put on the magazine while shooting, the action would try to feed the mag itself. Yuck.

Third purchase, a Savage 12 gauge pump with a short defense barrel and long field barrel. It was super heavy and racking it was like trying to start a 30 year old lawnmower.

Fourth purchase, a Bersa Thunder CC. I could shoot 3 inch groups at seven yards as fast as I could pull the trigger. It's too big for pocket carry, and it shoots .380.

Traded both Savages for a Double Barrel 12 gauge Baikal with a 20 inch tubes. Realized that I don't particularly like shooting shotguns.

Next, I purchased a Ruger 10/22.

Traded the Bersa and a little cash for a S&W Model 36 in nickel. Still have the 36.

Traded the Baikal for a 1930 Mosin Nagant.

Now granted, I haven't traded away a bunch of classics or anything. But I've never regretted getting rid of something.

I'm in the market for a snubnose Model 10 right now, and if I find one in good enough shape, I'll probably trade the Model 36 plus some cash for it. I'm not in any hurry though, and I am getting better with the J-frame. The trigger difference between a J-frame and K/L-frame is ridiculous. Compared to my Model 10, my Model 36 trigger is terrible.
Old July 1, 2013, 05:51 PM   #7
Ferretboy

I have sold and traded a few guns, and don't regret any of them.

So far I have done one or the other with 3 SKS's, an American Arms CX-22, and a hi-point .40. Since getting into revolvers I am tempted to trade of sell my WASR 10/63 and an XDm .45. Havnt done either yet though. I might trade my Smith and Wesson Model 36 for a Ruger sp-101 straight up, Doubt that will happen though.

I have Heard the Rhino is great, and I would love to own one some day. Just a matter of time and money, I have plenty of one and very little of the other.
Old July 2, 2013, 04:57 PM   #8
h518may

Ferret boy I know what you mean. I have little of BOTH!! I had a couple of smith and wessons I traded off I wish I still had. One was a compact .45 auto( a 4513? I believe?) and the other was a snub nosed .357 scandium revolver. Miss those guns!!
Old July 3, 2013, 07:00 AM   #9
highpower3006

I try not to sell guns, but every once in a while the need for money overcomes my desire to keep every gun I have ever bought. I will admit that I have regretted nearly selling nearly every one I have ever sold.

However..................sometimes I will still sell a gun to finance another that I want more.

Recently I sold this GP100:

To be able to by this M1A:

The M1A is a early one with all GI parts and was very reasonably priced.
Old July 3, 2013, 04:49 PM   #10
Ferretboy

my GP-100 stays put, not selling that for nothing. same with my Winchester, the rest are just toys that I enjoy but they may find their way into deals for other toys, or to pay the rent since I am disabled and money right now is limited.
Old July 3, 2013, 05:02 PM   #11
Model12Win

I've never come close to selling a gun that I realized I would regret, but I have sold one that I certainly regret selling now. A mint condition 1980 Norinco "French tickler" (look it up ) SKS. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it was a fantastic rifle for what it was. Later on I learned that version of Chinese SKS is perhaps one of the highest quality ever made in terms of fit and finish from any country, and mine looked like it was turned out of the factory the day before I bought it. Shot very, very well. Extreme reliability. Had to sell it to fund a doctor bill during tighter times.

I really wish I could have hung on to it! Now I know not to sell any gun, and I've heard that echoed across so many threads I've read on here and other gun forums to.
Old July 4, 2013, 10:28 AM   #12
highpower3006

Quote:
my GP-100 stays put, not selling that for nothing
Ordinarily, I probably would not have gotten rid of the GP100. However, I have three other .357 revolvers (Python, S&W M66, Ruger NM Blackhawk) and really don't shoot any of them that much as I am currently shooting mostly .44 and .41 mag right now. The last time I shot the GP was five years ago.

This M1A was a early one with all GI parts and quite frankly, was just too good a deal to let pass by.
Old July 4, 2013, 08:11 PM   #13
Mosin44az

My advice, from years of painful experience, is to NOT sell any gun unless you are SURE you will not want it again. I have spent much time and money over the past several years seeking "replacements" for guns I should have kept in the first place. Some can never be adequately replaced....
Old July 5, 2013, 12:56 PM   #14
MaDMaXX

I'm very fortunate not to have needed to sell any of mine, though being 'new' to firearm ownership, it's not actually been anything i'd thought about for funding other things.

I'd like to think i have a nice 'unique'/interesting collection that i've slowly amassed, looking to add a S&W 686 to it in the future.

Beretta 92FS 9mm
Henry Lever .22 (oct barrel)
Remington 12ga (U/O)
Bushmaster AR15

Wifes
GSG 1911 .22
Remington 700 .270w
Unknown old bolt rifle .22