The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 19, 2013, 11:52 AM   #1
Moby

Hide a handgun in your closet.

http://www.luckygunner.com/how-to-tu...m_medium=email

This is from Luckygunner.com
I thought it was interesting.
For me, I'm hoping my dogs will wake me up
and aviod a surprise intruder. But I think it's worth the post.

If you've ever thought about how to properly hide a home defense handgun in your bedroom, this DIY guide from one of our customers here at LuckyGunner.com is pretty ingenious. He has taken a pair of old blue jeans and sewn them in such a way as to create a closet holster that allows a loaded handgun to be hidden in the middle of the blue jeans while ensuring the blue jeans remain hanging on a hanger. We call it a "Closet Jeans Holster". It's the perfect closet concealed carry location for your home - and below this customer of ours shows you how you can create the same for your home.
“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~George Washington
US Coast Guard 76-86 Semper Paratus
Old January 19, 2013, 11:59 AM   #2
tynman

That cool.. Thanks for the info...
Old January 19, 2013, 01:39 PM   #3
MagnumWill

Bookmarked. That's pretty clever!
Old January 19, 2013, 10:22 PM   #4
FoghornLeghorn

I'm not sure the purpose.

Burglers tend to pretty much dismantle a bedroom when they're searching. My folk's house was similarly robbed. All the clothes had been taken out of the closet and laid on the bed. The drawers had all been taken out and placed upside down on the floor.

A handgun in the clothes would have been discovered.

So if you're simply hiding a gun, why?

If you're hiding a SD weapon, just put it in the nightstand. You might not have time to make it to the closet.
Old January 20, 2013, 06:09 AM   #5
1goodshot

Its a clever idea but I want my gun within reach when Im sleeping and I have a safe for storage.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:42 AM   #6
J2.

Mine will always be with in reach, along with a flashlight. It's a nice idea but if there is trouble I'm not going to the closet.
Old January 20, 2013, 12:26 PM   #7
Preparer

Outstanding post, couldn't agree morer.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:10 PM   #8
jasmith85

Its a very interesting idea for an extra HD gun but as others have said I prefer my primary HD gun to be closer to me.
Old January 21, 2013, 12:38 AM   #9
Valerko

Doesn't every closet have shelves as well ?
Why not just have gun hidden there in between folded shirts, pans..... Same principal ,isn't it ?
Old January 21, 2013, 08:34 PM   #10
tekarra

I have had one stored like that for some time now. The closet is also a strong room.
Old January 22, 2013, 10:24 AM   #11
bigghoss

What's wrong with a safe?
Old January 22, 2013, 10:36 AM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Why not just have gun hidden there in between folded shirts, pans....."

That's how my brother hid his.

He doesn't have it anymore... The person who broke into his house apparently has it.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 22, 2013, 01:54 PM   #13
mrt949

The wifes shoe box .Don't laugh my security six survied two breakins .
Old January 22, 2013, 02:02 PM   #14
manta49

Quote:
Why not just have gun hidden there in between folded shirts, pans....."

That's how my brother hid his.

He doesn't have it anymore... The person who broke into his house apparently has it.
If you had a gun here and its was stolen and you didn't have it properly secured in a safe. You would probably have your licence revoked. There is also the matter if the thief wasn't armed when he entered your house you have just armed him. If you came home and disturbed him it could be a fatal mistake.

Last edited by manta49; January 22, 2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old January 22, 2013, 02:55 PM   #15
Dragline45

It's clever but I see no real purpose in doing so. When I am sleeping my gun sits next to me on the night stand, when I am out of the home it sits on my hip. As far as all my other guns they get locked up.
Old January 22, 2013, 05:13 PM   #16
bigghoss

Quote:
The wife's shoe box. Don't laugh my security six survived two break-ins.
Until a thief comes by who's GF needs a new pair of heels.
Old January 23, 2013, 06:15 AM   #17
dayman

Do a lot of people hang their jeans up?
It seems like a small hidden safe would be a better idea.
I guess without kids there's a bit less of a need to make sure guns are secured as well as hidden.

I keep my "nightstand gun" locked in a little safe I can tuck between the bed and the night stand. It even has a cable to lock to the bed frame, so any would be thief would have to find it, then either cut the cable, or saw through the bed to get it free. Then it would still be in a locked box. Not the fastest to retrieve, but that's why I have dogs.

I do have an in wall safe I keep hidden behind a row of cloths in the closet, but it needs a key, so it's not exactly ideal for midnight emergencies.
Old January 23, 2013, 07:40 AM   #18
dfsixstring

I have a pocket holster mounted inside the bed rail on my side of the bed. It is within easy reach while I'm in bed and is covered by my blanket while I'm sleeping and when the bed is made up. If I happen not to wake up before someone enters the room, and they don't kill me immediately, I could reach it and at least have a fighting chance. I feel uncomfortable leaving a pistol "on" my night table (no drawer on this table). The only other option would require me to get out of bed (wooden bed is noisy) and go to my dresser across the room. I did what I felt like worked for my case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old January 27, 2013, 12:07 AM   #19
Verbal Clint

Seems like a good idea. Also seems like a Class B misdemeanor in TX if you have kids in the house and the police find out. Not trying to be rude...just saying. I know, I know. We all want our guns accessible. Please don't flame me for pointing that out :/
Luke 11:21
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe."
Old January 28, 2013, 01:33 AM   #20
BIG P

Fake lable with velkro backing on mattress works also.not that we do that around here.
Old January 28, 2013, 01:52 AM   #21
brad_wp

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta49 View Post
If you had a gun here and its was stolen and you didn't have it properly secured in a safe. You would probably have your licence revoked. There is also the matter if the thief wasn't armed when he entered your house you have just armed him. If you came home and disturbed him it could be a fatal mistake.
I'm pretty sure that unless you live someplace like the People's Republic of California you do not have any obligation to keep your firearms locked inside your dwelling. Out of sight when vehicle stored, sure. Secure from children, sure. Stolen from your residence and not reported, sure. But, sorry if someone breaks into my house and steals a weapon I had unlocked because I use it for readily accessible defense I'm not going lose my license. I mean it was inside a LOCKED house.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Old January 28, 2013, 07:26 AM   #22
dfsixstring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbal Clint View Post
Seems like a good idea. Also seems like a Class B misdemeanor in TX if you have kids in the house and the police find out. Not trying to be rude...just saying. I know, I know. We all want our guns accessible. Please don't flame me for pointing that out :/
Are you saying what I do when my family goes to bed is a crime? I don't leave it there at any other time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old January 29, 2013, 10:20 PM   #23
Win73

Quote:
I have a tripwire just outside my bedroom door. There is a double barrel shotgun pointing down just above the door. If the tripwire is activated it does its job.
I remember a case from several years ago where a farmer had a house that someone kept breaking into. He set up a booby trap for the burgler. Sure enough he broke in again and was shot but not killed by the booby trap. Now the burgler owns the farmer's farm.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old January 30, 2013, 09:22 PM   #24
22-rimfire

Easy to hide a handgun in my closets.

Quote:
For me, I'm hoping my dogs will wake me up and aviod a surprise intruder. But I think it's worth the post.
My dogs woke me up, but the intruder had already split. They had time to take about $2000 worth of camera equipment. But no injuries or confrontations involved.
Old February 6, 2013, 12:00 AM   #25
Colorado Redneck

It is extremely important to me that our kids, grandkids, nieces and nephews do not get their pea picking mitts on our guns and hurt themselves---or worse. I figure that IF somebody breaks in and we are asleep, the cats bailing off the bed will wake me up in time to jump out the window and run down the street screaming.

Making entry really difficult is the best first line of home defense. That way you probably will know if somebody is trying to get in, and that will provide time to react. Some guy in a neighboring city woke up in the middle of the night, hearing an intruder. He told the person he had a gun, but no answer, and the intruder kept moving around in the dark bedroom. Home owner shot at the intruder. The intruder turned out to be an extremely intoxicated young woman that was confused and only about 10% coherent. The shot hit her in the butt. She was charged with some goofy thing like criminal trespass. The home owner did not have his doors locked. This kind of stuff is about half humerous, but it is entirely too common that guns create unintended consequences.