The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 13, 2010, 08:14 PM   #1
pelo801

looking for tips on grouping, accuracy, etc

my daily carry is a walther pps in .40, i also have a p22, it is not exactly the same, but i think it is similar enough to my carry gun, so i practice with it. i do several different drills, most of them when i go up to the mountains. shooting, running, shooting, shooting at multiple targets, weak arm firing, etc. but that is not why i posted. when i go to the range, i do mostly rapid fire type exercises. i shoot at silhouettes. i do center mass shots, 100 rounds, rapid fire, two mags full at a time watching the target while inserting 2nd mag, then center mass shots, 100 rounds, two shot bursts, two mags at a time also while watching the target, then i do head shots, 100 rounds, rapid fire, same as before, two mags at a time, etc, then i finish it with 3 shot bursts, two to the chest, one to the head, same as before, two mags at a time. the range distance chart says every baffle is 5 feet, and i shoot at the 3rd baffle. so you would think it is 15 feet. but i am a carpenter by trade, and i know what 2 1/2 sheets of plywood looks like. so i am guessing it's more like 20-22 feet. on the rapid fire shooting, i can keep the center mass shots in about a 6 inch circle, and the head shots i can keep them all in the head, the two shot bursts i can keep in a 10 inch circle. i do the rapid fire ones for focus and muscle memory. and the two shot bursts to keep control of the follow up shot. i have only been shooting for about 20 months. so i think i am doing ok, but i would like to do better. i don't want anyone to think i do the two shots to the chest, one to the head shooting, because i think that's what i am going to try if i ever find myself in a SD situation. i often think if i find myself in that situation, where i need to use my gun(God forbid), i might shoot once, and the target might move, and i will need to acquire said target again for a follow up. my problem is, on the head shot, i have a tendency to shoot high and to the left. any thoughts on how i can improve on this? am i crippling myself with this exercise? thanks for any help.
Old April 16, 2010, 10:29 AM   #2
Deputy Dog

Start off with this exercise at a closer distance for a while to build up the confidence and sight picture and alignment etc etc, then as you improve start stepping back little by little, when you get comfortable at each distance, start moving back... The average gun fight happens within 10 feet, you should start this type of drill at arms reach and move back from there... Have some patience and practice practice practice, also check your grip and your stance and remember if you are using different bullet weights and manufactures the impacts will also be different....

Deputy Dog
Old April 16, 2010, 10:34 AM   #3
Hard Ball

Good advice!
Old April 19, 2010, 11:32 PM   #4
SmithWesson357

In a self-defense situation you need to shoot to survive, not target shoot. Although it's great to be able to hit the bulls eye at 20yds, in a self defense situation you want to be able to hit a torso as many times as you can from a distance up to 21feet. Any body hit is a good hit, and remember "Fire till the F****r Falls".