The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 19, 2013, 02:01 PM   #1
flintlock.50

Troubles ahead for Remington?

The owner of my local gun store said today that both Dicks Sports and Walmart have announced they will discontinue all firearms sales. He said this could be the death of Remington because 60% of Remington's sales are through these two outlets.

Anyone know if the Dicks and Walmart stories are true?

If they ARE true, lets hope demand for the Remington brand is strong enough that sales shift to other outlets.

A government that takes from Peter to pay Paul can always count on Paul's vote!
Old January 19, 2013, 02:17 PM   #2
Fishing_Cabin

I've heard tons of people saying certain chains will stop selling certain types of firearms, or possibly all firearms, but I have not seen any official statement from the main office of any of these stores just yet.

I would say, until there is an official announcement by the head office, I would not worry about the scuttle but. Now, with that said, with all the demand out there, I dont look for any chain or local shops to be stocked completely, and regularly throughout the course of the 2013 due to the large increase in sales recently.
Old January 19, 2013, 02:52 PM   #3
Evan Thomas

If they've made such announcements, they're a well-guarded secret. There's nothing to support this on either company's corporate web site (both have "press release" pages), nor any mention of such in the Wall Street Journal. (Which does have a decent op-ed piece by John Lott -- published yesterday, I believe.)

Anti-gun folks are picketing Walmart to persuade them to stop selling "assault weapons," according to the HuffPo. And there are rumors, on some websites I'd call less-than-reputable, that Dick's is refusing to fill some orders. Other than that -- nada.

Not that they couldn't do so, but there's no real sign that they are. I can see, though, why the owner of your LGS might wish it were so. He's probably pretty sick of people who come to his store to look, get his expert opinion, and then go to a big box to make the purchase; especially when the market's as hot as it is right now.
Old January 19, 2013, 02:57 PM   #4
thallub

Quote:
The owner of my local gun store said today that both Dicks Sports and Walmart have announced they will discontinue all firearms sales.
In his wildest dreams Wal-Mart will stop selling guns.
Old January 19, 2013, 02:59 PM   #5
LRChops

Somone will open a new gun dostributorship to replace Dicks.. I want to open one named Kitties. We would be the cats meow!
Old January 19, 2013, 03:38 PM   #6
Romeo 33 Delta

Well, if one of the two named discontinues selling firearms ... at least the store is well-named, ain't it?
Old January 19, 2013, 07:52 PM   #7
E Rob

No Wal-Mart around here has had guns for a long time and I have not seen ammo in two of them for about 4 years or so
Old January 19, 2013, 08:29 PM   #8
stimpee

I have personally reviewed annual reports and other information on the Freedom Group that owns Remington. WalMart is 15% of their sales and is by far the biggest single customer. I don't recall Dick's but I doubt it is anywhere near as substantial. Losing either or both would certainly hurt but would not kill them.

Nowhere near 60% based on the info I reviewed.

Sent from my Xoom via tapatalk
Old January 19, 2013, 08:41 PM   #9
Dfariswheel

Some Walmart's did discontinue guns, but those are mostly in urban areas and Eastern areas where they weren't selling well.

Most Walmart's in the South mid-West, West, and Alaska sell lots of guns and ammo.
Right now it's a matter of not HAVING the guns and ammo to sell because of the panic buying.

Walmart is very well aware of who their customer base is....and who it ISN'T.
The "isn't" crowd are deadly enemies of Walmart, want to force unions on them, want to shut them down, and won't shop at Walmart in any case.

The "is" crowd likes Walmart and wants to buy guns and ammo there and has made them the largest retailer in the history of the world.
Considering Walmart's famous knowledge about their customer base, who do you think they're going to serve?
Old January 19, 2013, 08:55 PM   #10
seabee78

My personal opinion. I don't like to buy anything from walmart. Especially guns. They seem to be a cruel employer. And i have heard that they bully companies too sell them the things they have in the stores.
I would rather spend more at a local store then to give walmart anything.
Sorry for the rant.

seabee78
Old January 19, 2013, 09:19 PM   #11

Seebee,

Are we related? I was gonna say the samething. I wont walk thru walmarts doors ever. My money is spent in local proshops that sell bows, firearms, ammo, or anything that has to do with the outdoors. Why anyone would spend their money at a big box store is beyond me. Support the local "mom and pop outfits".

Didnt mean to hijack the thread. Blame it on seebee he made me do it. Lol.
Old January 19, 2013, 09:31 PM   #12
flintlock.50

I fully agree with supporting the local merchants over the large chains for specialty items, like firearms. My concern was the alleged volume of business that Remington stood to lose if what I heard were true.

A government that takes from Peter to pay Paul can always count on Paul's vote!
Old January 20, 2013, 12:43 AM   #13
BarryLee

I went to Academy Sports yesterday and they seem to be doing a very brisk business in firearms and related supplies. If some retailers drop certain products someone will fill the void.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 20, 2013, 01:06 AM   #14
LogicMan

I had read Dick's discontinued selling the AR-15.
Old January 20, 2013, 01:26 AM   #15
Nickel Plated

If Walmart did stop seling guns, I'm sure the local shops would get much more business and would be able to help pik up some of the slack on Remington's sales.
Old January 20, 2013, 01:50 AM   #16
seabee78

Hey seabee, can't blame it all on me...lol...
If remington is sellingto and relying on big chain stores like walmart, they are already over a barrel....no puns intended. I hope however that they can find another avenue to sell their products.

seabee78
Old January 20, 2013, 07:01 PM   #17
t wayne

Walmart fun

I worked in the Firearms industry for several years and witnessed an amazing thing.

I was at a trade show open only to wholesale buyers, working with one of my manufactures. The owners 24 yo son and I were the only ones there when a man walked up to me and wanted to discuss purchasing our line. His business card identified him as a walmart buyer.

I called the owners son over and handed him the card. He looked at it, handed it back the the gentleman and said, "We're not interested! We don't like the way you do business." turned his back and walked away.

I LedMAO!!!!!

I'm not much of a fan of Walmart either and that was reinforce when they charged my late sister-in-laws estate $28 .....to close her retirement account.