The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 3, 2013, 12:03 AM   #101
DenverPilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
5 years ago. Taurus PT-145 Millennium Pro

Complete...Garbage...
Have to agree here. Didn't own it but someone loaned it to me to take to the range with explicit instructions to, "Give me your honest opinion."

After putting 50 rounds through it and wanting to curse loudly at whoever designed the trigger, my official report was, "It'll take a lot of range time to get good with that thing since it fights you every time you pull the trigger. If it was mine I'd sell it."

The range safety guy wasn't as tactful. His description was, "That thing sure is a loud POS."
Old January 7, 2013, 04:45 AM   #102
jughead2

worst gun

amt 22 mag. cant get one mag through it without some kind jam
Old January 8, 2013, 10:05 AM   #103
PzGren

I went through a lot of guns in my lifetime. Some were a disappointment, most actually were not.

I have very few guns that I own and do not enjoy shooting. I am giving a Colt Python to my youngest son soon, I have little use for it but it sure is pretty.

Needless to say, that my son is delighted. So was I when I picked that eye candy up as a used gun back in 1985.
Old January 11, 2013, 12:16 AM   #104
FM12

Worst? Sterling Arms .22LR Jammed awfully!
Old January 11, 2013, 10:37 AM   #105
PT-92

Quote:
FM12

Worst? Sterling Arms .22LR Jammed awfully!...
No doubt that is not the "highest quality" of .22lr mouse-guns but I have found that even the "clunkers" will run (until they break) with HV Aquila or Stinger ammo.

In fact it's not just the "cheapies," I have a SIG 1911-22 that won't run reliably absent HV ammo as well as a Beretta 21A etc...
Old January 11, 2013, 04:47 PM   #106
nutty ned

Iver Johnson sealed 8 .22lr
Old January 11, 2013, 07:11 PM   #107
ChasingWhitetail91

My 1942 british .303. Shoots well enough, but sighting a scope in is a hassle. Each consecutive shot rises quite a bit after the first. Not bad for hunting but man is taking one shot and checking where it hit each time a pain in the butt.
Old January 11, 2013, 07:18 PM   #108
CWKahrFan

Old German Rohm .22 pistol I inherited... The bullets tumble when shooting over about 6 feet... It's kinda funny 'cause of the constant zinging sound like in the old black & white TV Westerns.
Old January 11, 2013, 07:28 PM   #109
Xfire68

Remington 887 Nitro mag. It has none of the 1000's of accessories the 870 has and also did not function reliably. It was accurate and fun to shoot but I wanted to be able to change some things and that was not a option.

I traded it in for my Mossy 500 which I love.
Old January 11, 2013, 07:31 PM   #110
Dragline45

Quote:
Remington 7400 in .270 Win. Would not hold zero between range trips. Used it once for deer hunting, and was lucky enough to run across a brain dead white tail 2 point. Missed from a good rest at 80 yards. Missed again. Deer ran a ways. I followed. Shot and missed. Repeat several times. Finally the deer was so damned used to me shooting it stood looking at me from 30 yards away and I got'im.

Later took my son to the range and we both worked on getting it sighted. Put it in the case and went back with the gun and the son a few days later. Point of impact was a foot high and to the left about 8 inches. It got traded the next day
Sounds like you had a problem with your scope/mount and not the gun. I had a cheap scope on one of my rifles that had to be zeroed every range trip, I dumped it and spent a little more and no more zero problems.
Old January 12, 2013, 03:29 PM   #111
4INCHSMITH

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
5 years ago. Taurus PT-145 Millennium Pro

Complete...Garbage...

Have to agree here. Didn't own it but someone loaned it to me to take to the range with explicit instructions to, "Give me your honest opinion."

After putting 50 rounds through it and wanting to curse loudly at whoever designed the trigger, my official report was, "It'll take a lot of range time to get good with that thing since it fights you every time you pull the trigger. If it was mine I'd sell it."

The range safety guy wasn't as tactful. His description was, "That thing sure is a loud POS."
DenverPilot is offline Report Post
Another voter here for that particular Taurus. The one that I owned was terribly inaccurate, you could literally wiggle the barrel back and forth almost 1/16th of an inch when the pistol was in battery. Could not get a better than 8-9" group out of it an 30 feet. Sold it after firing about 100 rounds out of it and never looked back.
Old January 12, 2013, 03:54 PM   #112
dfsixstring

Springfield .45 (the OD green one). I liked the nostalgia of it but it was so sloppy it was hard to be very accurate. Sold it and bought my LCP.

Dfsixstring
SR9c
LCP
RST4S
Old January 13, 2013, 07:53 PM   #113
Korben7p3c

My worst...

... which I still own, is my wife's Walther P22. It will FTF, FTE, half-feed and don't even get me started on trying to reassemble after cleaning that dang thing. OTH, it is very accruate.

Fuggitaboutit...
Old January 13, 2013, 07:54 PM   #114
LRChops

Jenning for sure!!!!! The most unsafe and unreliable gun ever produced!
Old January 13, 2013, 08:22 PM   #115
PT-92

Quote:
Korben7p3c
My worst...
... which I still own, is my wife's Walther P22. It will FTF, FTE, half-feed and don't even get me started on trying to reassemble after cleaning that dang thing. OTH, it is very accruate.

Fuggitaboutit...
I have shot many a .22lr semis and they are "hit and miss" to say the least with ammo. CCI Stingers or Aquila Super HV will reliably cycle just about anything. I had bulk ammo FTE like there's no tomorrow in some of my .22lr semis but run all day long on the HV stuff. There are times I will carry a Beretta 21A Bobcat as a BUG but would never consider such without HV ammo.

Bottom line I have found if you want to shoot .22lr "reliably" with a handgun it's either HV for the semis or anything you want in the revolvers.

Last edited by PT-92; January 13, 2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old January 14, 2013, 11:05 AM   #116
sandbag

Hi-Standard

Many years ago I owned a Hi-Standard Kit Gun-it was big,clumsy,and shoddily made-the front sight fell off while I was shooting it one day and I said "that's it"and got rid of it.
Funny thing is that Hi-Standard made some great semi-autos-I still have a Hamden made Model 107 Supermatic Citation which is a very high quality accurate firearm.It almost seems there were two companies-one that made cheap revolvers and one that made competition level semi autos.They also made the Flite King 12 ga Riot Gun-I'd sure like to get one of those some day.
Old January 14, 2013, 02:40 PM   #117
aarondhgraham

That would be "Little Bertha",,,

That would be "Little Bertha",,,

I bought this .22 short, ROHM revolver at a garage sale back in the mid 60's,,,
It came with the original box and one box of ammo minus 5 rounds.

IIRC I paid a whopping $5.00 for it.

The front sight fell off somewhere in the first few weeks I had it,,,
But I carried her around in my pocket for years as a teen.

I still have her.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 14, 2013, 02:46 PM   #118
LOUD

a Taurus revolver looks like a S&W but is horrilby inaccurate. Just junk made in the 60s........LOUD
Old January 15, 2013, 05:27 PM   #119
Alabama Shooter

I just traded in the Mini-14 on an AR. That was my last real lemon.

I owned a Jennings Bryco years ago in .380. Every time you fired a round the slide barrel assembly where the rear of the chamber was would move back a fraction. By the time I sold it was a good 3/8" off (and yet still shot, albeit wildly).
Old January 16, 2013, 12:08 AM   #120
ncpatriot

An RG .22 short SA revolver. Cylinder doesn't line up 100%. I can shoot & feel powder residue hitting my hand. thought it would be good 1st pistol for my daughter but I couldn't give her that & still hold up my head.
Old January 16, 2013, 01:34 PM   #121
2ndsojourn

The worst one I own is an old, small, broken, unidentified ~32 cal?, nickel plated beat up POS that one of my nephews found in my father-in-law's stuff after he died that my mother-in law asked me to get out of her house. It isn't worth anything so I'm gonna turn it in at the next buy-back program in Philly or Camden and hopefully get about 50 bucks for it.
Old January 16, 2013, 05:29 PM   #122
The Great Mahoo

My worst was my first handgun I purchased, when I turned 21. A Taurus 24/7 pro .45. All in all a decent gun, but had a tendency for light-strikes. They defaulted to DA for "restrike capability", so it wasn't much of a problem. Also, one a few outings to the range, I would inadvertantly drop my mag under the recoil of some heavier loads. I think a heavier spring would have fixed it, but I just traded it in for a better gun instead.
Old January 18, 2013, 08:06 AM   #123
MWorrell

A Jennings J-22 I got off my cab driver uncle. It was the first handgun I ever owned, pre-internet so I had to figure out for myself that it won't feed most ammo and is comically inaccurate. In my trial and error I bought 3 extra magazines for it. What a waste of $.

I'm waiting for the next Chicago $200 buyback, and it's gone.
Old January 18, 2013, 10:14 AM   #124
PT-92

Quote:
MWorrell

...I'm waiting for the next Chicago $200 buyback, and it's gone...
I know 'money is money' and in this horrid economy we all need some cash on hand big-time (though, of course, the mainstream media would have us believe that we are now witnessing a tremendous recovery ). Nevertheless, I personally would REFUSE to participate in any "Gun Buyback" schemes/efforts conducted by the Antis.

Just my $.02.
Old January 18, 2013, 02:02 PM   #125
MWorrell

I would simply take pleasure in handing over a worthless P.O.S. for 4x what it's worth and then taking that money and putting it toward a formidable firearm, but I agree that it probably only encourages them.