The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 21, 2012, 05:03 PM   #26
Super Sneaky Steve

LOL @ tactical undies
Old September 21, 2012, 07:32 PM   #27

I guess that this just goes to show that if you label a product with an uber-cool buzzword like "tactical" or "platform", there is a segment of our community that'll snap it up immediately.
Old September 21, 2012, 09:40 PM   #28
rmocarsky

warfighters

I think it is ridiculous when our politicians refer to our military personal as "warfighters."

I don't know . . . it just seems like an attempt to rename something for no plausible reason.

Rmocarsky
Old September 21, 2012, 11:29 PM   #29
Winchester_73

This thread reminds of the those brainy people who know all the correct terms:

"hey, its not a clip for your 1911, its a magazine! and your Colt revolver is in 45 colt, there is no "long" in the name"

Wow, how not impressive.
Old September 22, 2012, 07:11 AM   #30
Mike Irwin
Staff

That's why were here, only to impress you...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 22, 2012, 07:25 AM   #31
Tuzo

"Platform" is just another buzzword

So many au courant terms that I cannot keep up. A partial list:

"Gender" when "sex" is proper. Gender applies to grammar as in masculine and feminine. Sex denotes male and female.

"Functionality" in lieu of "function." Functionality is intrinsic to an item whereas function is what it does.

"Tactical" and "sniper" have become nearly interchangeable. By the way, either in Cabela's or Midway's latest sales flyer a pink gun case is termed "tactical."

"Surgical strike" for accurate bombing. One of my favorites.

Last on this little list is a word that is not heard as often as it was in the 1990's: "hopefully."
Old September 22, 2012, 07:46 AM   #32
geetarman

The term does not bother me either way.

I do get annoyed at the term "tactical." Way overused.

Carpe Cerveza
Old September 22, 2012, 08:05 AM   #33
jephthai

This topic has come up before...

Quote:
The first use I heard of the term was in the auto industry, where the basic frame was and is called the platform. So a platform can be used for a four door sedan, a convertible, a pickup truck, a delivery van, etc. The car magazines picked up the term, and it spread from there.
I believe you are correct. E.g., when I worked at Ford, we talked about the "panther platform" -- the Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, and Towncar are all the same car underneath. Just different safeties, beavertails, and more lines per inch on the front strap checkering.

So anyway, someone suggested that it's just a marketing thing. That's not entirely correct either; it's a general business or product development term. In the business world (not the military world), there is the notion of a "product platform". Google it and you'll find plenty of references to the term; about half a million. Here's an entry from businessdictionary.com:

Common design, formula, or a versatile product, based on which a family (line) of products is built over time. See also sales platform.

I, personally, think it's a perfectly acceptable term, once you see its applicability in manufacturing, business, and marketing. If you confuse it with "weapons platform," the misunderstanding makes sense to me.

BTW, Tuzo said:

Quote:
"Gender" when "sex" is proper. Gender applies to grammar as in masculine and feminine. Sex denotes male and female.
This is not correct; rather, it's inappropriate pedantry. The Oxford dictionary assigns the same meaning as "sex" as the primary definition of "gender." That covers British usage. For us 'muricans, Merriam-Webster gives this as the second definition of "gender": the behavioral, cultural, or psychological traits typically associated with one sex.

I'm as pedantic as it gets, but there are limits.
Old September 22, 2012, 08:27 AM   #34
Winchester_73

Quote:
That's why were here, only to impress you...
So why was here to impress me? Well why was why here is my question
Old September 22, 2012, 09:24 AM   #35
Mike Irwin
Staff

Why not?

Why ask why?

Why oh why, is there no sun up in the sky?

Sex v. Gender was one of G. Gordon Liddy's BIG bugaboos...

He used to prattle on endlessly whenever anyone dared, in his opinion, get the usage incorrect.

He used to also yell at people for not pronouncing BMW in the "correct" German manner.

Another talking head idiot embraced by the Conservative movement...

Old September 22, 2012, 09:41 AM   #36
Jo6pak

One trem that I also see getting overused is "shotgunning"
This started with the AR crowd when referring to tippping the upper reciever up to remove the bolt. In this context it is appropriate becuse the motion is much like opening the action on a break action shotgun.

But, I've also heard people talk of "shotgunning" an AK

As for tactical,
I think "tactical" got it's start from those not wanting to say "assault rifle" when referring to military-style semi-auto rifles. I call my DR200 a tactical rifle. Not a 100% perfect correct denotation, but t's a consise term and easily understood. But, yes "tactical" can get out of hand also.
Old September 22, 2012, 02:19 PM   #37
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've never heard the term shotgunning either an AR or an AK...

I just call it field stripping.

Old September 22, 2012, 03:26 PM   #38
Jo6pak

Mike, I just call it fieldstripping too. But the tacti-doodle-dandies just need to be cool, so they make up terms that sound cool
Old September 22, 2012, 03:56 PM   #39
JimPage

It's all semantics. While there is a difference between a clip and a magazine, it is not unusual to see the two interchanged. It's a result of ignorance, perhaps, but it is really only an indication of the way language is dynamic and constantly changing. Take "pistol" and "revolver" for example. Some swear there is a difference. But if you look at the history, "pistol" comes from the Italian town of Pistola"

But some swear that a revolver is not a pistol. The US Navy was the first to be so obstinate in my memory, but others may also have participated for some reason or another . I say just go with the flow and don't get your panties in a tight knot over evolving language differences. After all, if the speaker/writer was so far off base you wouldn't know what he's talking about.

Does anyone question that Wild Bill Hickok was a pistolero? He used only revolvers for handguns.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old September 22, 2012, 04:07 PM   #40
buck460XVR

Quote:
I, personally, think it's a perfectly acceptable term, once you see its applicability in manufacturing, business, and marketing. If you confuse it with "weapons platform," the misunderstanding makes sense to me.
I agree....and it makes sense to me when used in this content.
Quote:
Common design, formula, or a versatile product, based on which a family (line) of products is built over time.
To me, when used here and other gun forums, it is a type or style of firearm, generally referring to type of action and not brand specific. BTW....I'm an old fart and the term has been around longer than internet gun forums.
Old September 22, 2012, 04:12 PM   #41
Wyosmith

We should all be reminded of the kids story of the "Emperors New Cloths" now and then.

A special vocabulary doesn't mean we are "experts" but often those that use such buzz words want others to think they are experts.
Old September 22, 2012, 08:57 PM   #42
Winchester_73

Quote:
Why not?

Why ask why?

Why oh why, is there no sun up in the sky?
I think you missed my point. Read your first reply to me and my reply

Quote:
It's all semantics. While there is a difference between a clip and a magazine, it is not unusual to see the two interchanged. It's a result of ignorance, perhaps, but it is really only an indication of the way language is dynamic and constantly changing. Take "pistol" and "revolver" for example. Some swear there is a difference. But if you look at the history, "pistol" comes from the Italian town of Pistola"
Yes, well said. Clip is so common place, that sometimes I use it just for easier communication. Although most people who know (think they know) what a clip is know what a magazine is anyways.

Quote:
We should all be reminded of the kids story of the "Emperors New Cloths" now and then.

A special vocabulary doesn't mean we are "experts" but often those that use such buzz words want others to think they are experts.
That is exactly right. Another fun one is for S&W, K-22 vs pre model 17 or model 357 magnum vs pre 27, etc. The latter being a collector nickname, and the former being the actual S&W model name from the time.
Old September 22, 2012, 09:12 PM   #43
Hal

Quote:
One trem that I also see getting overused is "shotgunning"
We used to take a beer can, pop the top, stick it over our mouth - then someone would stick an ice pick in the bottom of the can.
The beer would come out ~ 2,000 mph.

We called that "shotgunning".
I've also heard it referred to as "shooting a beer"...
Old September 22, 2012, 09:17 PM   #44
PSP

"Gun" works for me.
Old September 22, 2012, 10:05 PM   #45
Winchester_73

Quote:
We used to take a beer can, pop the top, stick it over our mouth - then someone would stick an ice pick in the bottom of the can.
The beer would come out ~ 2,000 mph.

We called that "shotgunning".
I've also heard it referred to as "shooting a beer"...
One time before a Tom Petty concert a girl showed me how to "shotgun a beer" in a different way IIRC. We used a key to put a hole in the bottom of the can on the side, and had our mouth there, and then opened it. It was the same effect, but your version makes more sense.
Old September 29, 2012, 10:29 AM   #46
reggiec

Terminology

It's just sort of an evolutionary thing, and also how people loss track of the original definition of things. eg. these are just two I can think of right now that apply to weapons:
1. Saying .45 long colt, when it's actually just .45 colt.
2. Applying the word "pistol" to a revolver, when it's technically a handgun where the chamber is integral to the barrel.
Old September 29, 2012, 07:30 PM   #47
Shadi Khalil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
When did handguns get to be "platforms?"

Is this yuppiespeak?

Bob Wright
Thanks for calling us out, seriously. I find myself using it from time to time and I don't like it.
Old September 29, 2012, 08:24 PM   #48
GP100man

See ya`ll still got it wrong !!

It`s not "tactical" it`s "tactiKool"

At least we have a good enuff understanding of the systems !!

It peeves me when my revolver is called a pistol , but I`m not gonna hold my breath until I can get a "Concealed Revolver Permit"
Old September 29, 2012, 08:50 PM   #49
JimPage

reggiec: "2. Applying the word "pistol" to a revolver, when it's technically a handgun where the chamber is integral to the barrel. "

I disagree. How long were pistols made in Pistola, Italy. before semiautomatic pistols were made? Wild Bill Hickock was an famous pistolero but I doubt he even knew what a semi automatice pistol was. You have fallen into a pedantic trap.

You totally ignore history with that statement.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old September 30, 2012, 12:40 PM   #50
GP100man

Not ignoring history `bout the pistoleros & vaqueros .

Just plain ole hardheaded !!don`t believe me ?? ask my wife !!

& slowly slippin into curmudgenizim !!