The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 14, 2001, 12:29 PM   #1
PRIDEFANS

Me and a friend are new to reloading and were wondering if you need to remove old primers before tumbling or it doesn't matter? He has the Dillon 550B and a single stage press so it can be done either way. Can't find anything in the manuals so is it personal preference or what? Thanks for any replies.
Old January 14, 2001, 02:12 PM   #2
Paul B.

Pridefans. Either way is OK. With rifle brass that I have to use lube on, I tumble, lube, size, and tumble again. I don't tumble after repriming though.
Use whichever way you prefer.
Paul B.
Old January 14, 2001, 02:19 PM   #3
ea2

You can leave them in. This helps prevent the tumbling media from getting jammed in the primer pockets during the tumbling process.

The decapper in your sizing die will push out any media that makes its way into the case's flash hole.
Old January 14, 2001, 05:07 PM   #4
Monkeyleg

I tried tumbling some .45 brass after depriming...once. It's a real pain to get some of the media out of the primer pocket.

Dick
Old January 15, 2001, 03:34 PM   #5
handgunhunting

You can make a simple tool to remove the media all you have to do is find a small nail and a round handle I got a finishing nail and the top 4 inches of a push broom handle cut the head off the nail and pushed it into the flat part of the broom handle, Then I took the tool to a grinder and put a sharp point on the nail. This works very well to get everything out of the flash hole.
Old January 15, 2001, 03:50 PM   #6
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Clean before/after depriming

Years ago, there was a school of thought that, if you didn't clean primer pockets after depriming, the burnt residue would build up to the point that it would cause misfires because of the cushioning effect of the residue.

When I first began handloading in the mid-60s, my uncle Charlie Armbruster gave me a little wire end-brush on a handle for this purpose. I started out using it regularly, and then dropped back to every couple of loadings. Then more seldom.

Now I don't give it a thought, when loading pistol ammo. Can't recall a problem that can be attributed to primer residue.

For the most part, I vibrate-clean the cases just as they come from the range bucket. Then I reload on a Dillon progressive.

Rifle cases, on the other hand, unless they are quite dirty, I size & deprime first, then vibrate clean, and then trim, deburr and reload.

I have no truly strong feelings on the matter. This is just the way I do it and it seems to work well.

Best,
Johnny

[b]MOLON LABE![/b[
Old January 16, 2001, 11:16 AM   #7
PoiDog

I deprime before tumbling, if any brass has media stuck in the primer pocket I use a real exotic tool to remove it.

A toothpick.

Works great!
Old January 16, 2001, 10:52 PM   #8
John Marshall

Now you've done it, PoiDog. I was just about to start the marketing of the "Primer Pocket Quick Pick". I figured a few cents to re-box 'em and I could sell 'em for $5 - $6 a box of 50.

Guess I'll have to think of some other way to enhance my retirement account.
Old January 17, 2001, 08:52 AM   #9
TZEAZAS

I agree Leave the primers in.
Removeing the media can be a bear!!
And it does'nt clean the primer pockets anyway.

Tzeazas
Old January 17, 2001, 12:48 PM   #10
houndawg

I just use a Lee Primer Pocket cleaner to clean the pockets. Works great.