The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 14, 2001, 02:58 PM   #1
LASur5r

How many of us are ready and able to use Plan B? That is a back up to defend yourself in case you are wounded and /or lose your primary weapon?
Would you use unarmed defense? Pepper spray? Another back-up gun? Knife? What would you do for Plan B?
Old April 14, 2001, 03:53 PM   #2
Jeff White

I carry a backup on duty. Colt Agent .38 spl in an ankle holster. I also carry a Benchmade CQC-7.

On the force continuum wouldn't the pepper spray come before the firearm? Even for non sworn CCW, I think that unless it was a clear cut deadly force situation, the pepper spray should be first.

My plan B in a fight is to fight with every breath in me and every available weapon, and to never give up no matter matter how gravely injured while I still had the means to resist. I think mindset is more important then the layered defense. you can carry backup and alternative weapons in quantity enough that you can't walk, but unless you've made your mind up that you are going to survive and fight to the last you will find them just so much weight.

Plan B is to go home, if it means unarmed combat, a brick, a rock, a 90mm recoiless rifle, it's not the tool used, it's the mindset and will to survive.

Jeff
Old April 15, 2001, 03:21 PM   #3
Doc Hudson

Pardon me Jeff,

but your Plan B

"is to fight with every breath in me and every available weapon, and to never give up no matter how gravely injured while I still had the means to resist"

Is my Plan A. In a speech I used to make, I'd tell people,"Kick, scratch scream, fight with every means possible, but go not gently to your death." Everything else is just tactics.

I don't often carry pepper spray. I lack confidence in it. My first line of defense/offense is a good hickory cane from CaneMasters. Second line of defense consists of one or more handguns on my person. Third line is a Buck 110 Folding hunter or a Columbia River Knife and Tool K.I.S.S. pocket knife.

Last ditch weaponry include fists, feet, and teeth.

Doc Hudson
Old April 18, 2001, 12:37 AM   #4
jdstone

Pepper Spray - 5.3SHU -- Packs a Punch!

You wouldn't have lacked confidence in pepper spray if you had used Fox LABS pepper spray. It is rated at 5.3 million Skoville Heat Units (SHU) -- the hottest spray made today. NO ONE else makes a spray this hot.

It will burn your bare skin and just floating in the air will take your breath away. A direct hit is a sure-stop.

As the old TV commercial used to say "Try it, you'll like it!"

Call Fox at 1-800-FOX LABS

--John