The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 24, 2014, 09:51 PM   #1
mendozer

Hornady Decapping die STUCK!

Before you say anything, I made sure everything was adjusted properly via the hornady guide. It was cleaned out, all cases were lubed with One Shot (which I feel really sucked on the case lube mat as it didn't feel slick to the touch).

Anyways On the 8th one, it was stiff coming down after depriming. Some muscle went into it and now a cartridge is stuck in my die because half of the brass base bent allowing the shellholder to slip off.

I'm very upset as I was going to load a box tomorrow as a Christmas gift to myself. How do I get it out of there?
Old December 24, 2014, 10:10 PM   #2
Sure Shot Mc Gee

(Stuck Case Remover.) RCBS makes the tool as does Hornady also. It's a good idea to have one. Its not a tool you'll only use once. If you go on reloading your bound to stick another case. Its just a matter of time before it happens again.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/504...ProductFinding

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; December 24, 2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old December 24, 2014, 10:13 PM   #3
reynolds357

Yep, a must have in the tool bin.
Old December 24, 2014, 10:15 PM   #4
mendozer

*sigh*

They should list it as needed for noobs in the manual !
Old December 24, 2014, 10:16 PM   #5
balderclev

Wish I could help, but haven't had that happen to me...yet.

I seem to remember a thread dealing with this issue and not using a tool specifically made for it. You might search for it.
Old December 24, 2014, 10:18 PM   #6
mendozer

i saw one about using a tap/die kit. I don't have that. Might as well order the remover.

So should I be killing it on the lube then? I feel that mat absorbs all the spray and the case doesn't get much.
Old December 24, 2014, 10:41 PM   #7
Buzzard Bait

lube?

I would look at that as a possible lube failure either not enough lube or the wrong type of lube could be other causes but that's where I would look first
bb
Old December 24, 2014, 10:46 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Lube may be the issue. A lot of folks using One Shot have reported stuck cases because they didn't follow the instructions to allow adequate drying time. I've used it in the past without issues, but used two-shots and did let it dry both between the shots and after the second shot.

Incidentally, you can make your own extractor. You have to be able to remove the decappng rod through the top or at least back the pin and decapper up out of the way. You drill out the flash hole and tap it, usually for 1/4-20 or 5/16-16, depending on the size of the case head. Start the die into the press. You put several washers over the press threads on the bottom that to support a short bolt. You then run the bolt through the washers and into the threaded case. You then just turn the bolt with a wrench to pull the case out.

You can sub a spacer that fits over the case but not over the die mouth for partial threading into the press. I strongly recommend you let the die sit in your freezer for a couple of hours before attempting to pull the case. That helps it come out easier because brass changes size with temperature a bit more than steel does, so that will shrink it a little more.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; December 24, 2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old December 24, 2014, 10:55 PM   #9
Marco Califo

The Lee universal Decapping die never touches the case, can't get stuck.
White Lithium grease from home depot works great as case sizing lube.

Last edited by Marco Califo; December 25, 2014 at 01:25 AM.
Old December 24, 2014, 10:56 PM   #10
BOOMST1CK

I use the hornady one shot, and spray directly on the case, roll, and spray again. What caliber case did you get stuck? 30-06 cases are my nemesis, three stuck to date. Never had a problem with any other caliber. I'm to cheap to buy a case remover so I made my own tool to do it.
Old December 24, 2014, 11:33 PM   #11
mendozer

well Lowes closed for the night so I couldn't get my tap and die kit.

I'll just get the RCBS kit off 'Zon and do it that way. Save some bucks that way. Guess I have to do something else tomorrow other than reload.

I'm also gonna switch to the wax type case lube. I've read great things about it online.
Old December 25, 2014, 01:08 AM   #12
Marco Califo

You have a stuck case in Sizing die. Those include a decapper pin, but a true Decapping die does nothing else beside removing primers. I have found that removing the primer first, cleaning, then sizing the clean brass with oil/grease lube eliminates stuck cases.
Old December 25, 2014, 01:12 AM   #13
mendozer

Hmm so I may need the universal decapper huh?
Old December 25, 2014, 01:23 AM   #14
hartcreek

Just remove the die from your press and loosten the decapping pin and turn or punch it out of the die. Then remove the brass from the decapping pin bu citting the case head from the case then use a tiny pumch to remove the decapping pin from the case head.

It could be that you bent the pin.
Old December 25, 2014, 01:24 AM   #15
Marco Califo

The Lee universal decapper is my most used die. $10-12.
Depriming first helps the wash water drain out too.
Old December 25, 2014, 01:36 AM   #16
HUBEL458

If rim bent letting the shellholder to slip off then that

means base of the cases is still whole. So take out

decapping pin and put in a rod in the top, down into case and

drive case out with hammer, Ed
Old December 25, 2014, 02:41 AM   #17
mendozer

hammering won't work. I just tried and damaged something else. I'm waiting for the stuck case tool.
Old December 25, 2014, 02:48 AM   #18
mendozer

also, i thought about dripping oil inside the die to help, but I wasn't sure if that would affect anything negatively. I had already cleaned brass, was going to deprime and resize then clean again.
Old December 25, 2014, 05:29 AM   #19
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Imperial Case Wax_ Hornady's (Tub Lube)_ RCBS Case Lube-2 which requires a sponge like pad for its proper application are all very good lubes that I can vouch for. Seems like One Shot is often troublesome for many first time users. So don't feel bad mendozer your not the only one or the last one in this situation you find yourself in. So long as One Shot is being sold you'll read of others inquiring here about the same problem time to time. The very first case I stuck there wasn't a Internet or TFLF to ask what I could or should do to resolve the problem. I even doubt the Stuck Case Remover tool was invented yet. Well sir. I wreaked that brand new Dura Chrome 06 die in my effort to remove its stuck case. Still have the Die as a matter of fact as a reminder not to be stingy with the case lube.

FWIW: I would throwout the One Shot and choose a different case lube from this point forward. As to my preference. I do like RCBS's Case Lube-2 and have used it and their case lube pads for many many years. That sir would be (my) suggestion.
Old December 25, 2014, 06:12 AM   #20
Old Stony

I normally don't use the hornady one shot, but when I have it worked as advertised. I use a cardboard box and just put my brass in it and spray over the brass and then shake it vigerously. I do this a couple times and the let the brass sit for a while for the lube to dry.
I bought a stuck case remover years ago and have never needed it. i have always been able to remove the stem from the die and tap the stuck case out with a rod inserted anytime I have had this problem. You reload long enough and you will see most every problem like this that can crop up eventually.
Old December 25, 2014, 08:29 AM   #21
hartcreek

I stuck a .308 case I was full sizing so I figured out how to get it unstuck like I discribed. After I stuck a second case I used a universal decapper to finish the lot I was working on and found that one brand match case of the pile of OFB that I working up had crimped in primers.
Old December 25, 2014, 08:50 AM   #22
StripesDude

Sorry, I can offer no help on getting the case unstuck.

But I use One Shot by spraying the inside of a Tupperware container, then dropping in my brass, and shaking with the lid closed. Ensures I don't get too much inside the case. Have never let it dry first, just run them through wet.
Old December 25, 2014, 08:50 AM   #23
wogpotter

Which "one shot" exactly?
There are 2 versions, a red aerosol can which isn't bad & a hand-pump "enviro-friendly" which is as useful as teats on a bull.

I had a case stuck in a die using that stuff & Hornady's multi-thousand pound hydraulic extractor couldn't budge it back at the factory!

If you have the hand pump fling it!

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old December 25, 2014, 09:08 AM   #24
Mavrick79

If your going to use spray lube get the Dillon stuff but don't forget to shake it up and let it dry. It works really well.
Old December 25, 2014, 09:08 AM   #25
CarJunkieLS1

Best Lube available is...Imperial Sizing Wax!! Get some of it and you'll NEVER stick a case again.