The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 2, 2014, 06:30 PM   #1
FloridaGuy

Trauma First Aid Kit for range bag and car.

I am getting a larger range bag and would like to include a trauma first aid kit in my bag. I am not sure what all to include in the kit so any suggestions would be great. Also if anyone knows of any information sources on the subject please let me know. I know a couple of months ago I read an article online about this subject but I can not find it now.

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT
Old August 3, 2014, 08:50 PM   #2
nemesiss45

Hmmm, its been 5 years since I took an emt class, but off the top of my head, I'd say quick clot, trauma pads, sam splint, self cling sterile gause rolls, steri-strips or butterfly bandaids, cpr mask, a couple crevats, 4" sterile gause pads, pen light, emt sheers (decent ones that will not crumple if you have to cut denim, safety pins, paper tape and plastic tape (1"), and a tube of super glue... then an off the shelf first aid kit.... I might be forgetting some good tools... an emt text book will give you a comprehensive list, and an actual EMT class will give you a lot of knowledge that could save a life with that kit.
Old August 4, 2014, 09:26 AM   #3
boondocker385

My IFAK for my range bag includes quikclot, multiple gauze, tourniquet, tape gloves. Just bare minimums. For work, we include in our training plan directions to nearest hospital and a designated driver in the event of an injury.
Old August 5, 2014, 12:42 AM   #4
Brotherbadger

This is what i keep in my car(It's over priced, but it's a decent kit. I won a GC to a local store, so that's why i picked it up).

http://www.amazon.com/Dixie-Ems-Dixi...3XS8JBCYVR0A38

nemesiss45's suggestions seem dead on. Whatever you get, just make sure you actually KNOW HOW TO USE the items in there. I've seen lots of people get huge kits and never bother to learn basic first aid required to use them, like how to apply a a tourniquet.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old August 5, 2014, 07:27 AM   #5
HiBC

I have a little different take on it.

First,get some training.First responder or EMT.You need to know what to do,and what not to do.

From there,suppose you want to be ready for a gunshot wound at the range.

Boom.

Best thing you can do,get an ambulance and a couple of paramedics rolling toward the patient,flight for life if you are remote.Make the call.

Next,don't worry about transporting the patient,or preparing the patient for transport.You just keep them alive,hopefully.

Breathing is good.If they stop,you may have to help them.CPR class,maybe a pocket mask.Installing airways takes training.

You may need to know about pneumothorax,sucking chest wound.A hole letting air into the chest cavity will defeat the mechanics of breathing.For a while,a hand can seal it off.

Bleeding.Bleeding is bad.I have heard Quick Clot is good,but have no training or experience.
My local surplus store sells GI Carlisle type battle dressings.I have the standard 4 in by 7,I think,and a larger 7 by 9,maybe.The plastic wrapper may be useful for sealing a chest wound.Maybe feminine tampons or napkins would be useful in a pinch.

I do not know if they are approved,but large ace bandages can apply pressure over those dressings.So can your hand.

Yes,a tourniquet might be the thing on an extremity.You might kill the limb,though.

A shattered long bone might need some traction,as muscle contractions can be a problem.

But picking up your patient,throwing him in the Bronco,and blasting down a washboard gravel road 90 mph is more likely to kill him than just keeping him still and stable where he is.

I don't know that $500 in first aid supplies will make much difference.
Old August 5, 2014, 04:35 PM   #6
kilimanjaro

Duct tape and a sandwich bag will work for a sucking chest wound, I was taught, if you have nothing else.

Communications are key, and every bit as important as a trauma kit.

Stem the bleeding, and keep the airway functioning, and get EMTs on the way.
Old August 6, 2014, 12:53 AM   #7
HiBC

I ought to clarify a bit.A first aid kit is still a good idea.
Tending minor injuries will usually keep them minor.Some basic trauma dressings,etc,might come in very handy.
I'm not trying to talk you out of being prepared.

But spending money on a bunch of stuff will not do as much good as having the knowledge and your hands.

Get gear to match your skills.Get the skills first,and you will know what to buy.
Old August 6, 2014, 09:13 AM   #8
Kimio

A lot of good info here, I was wondering the same thing that the OP is asking. I wasn't even aware that there were EMT classes that a regular civilian could take. Definitely going to look into one those, then again, I wonder if my annual SABC training is the same thing.
Old August 6, 2014, 09:17 AM   #9
Marty8613

Maybe add some auto-injectors for bee/wasp stings, etc. I know lots of people that are allergic. That is another accident that can happen at an outdoor range.
Old August 6, 2014, 09:39 AM   #10
Kimio

What about those instant ice packs to help reduce swelling?
Old August 6, 2014, 10:39 AM   #11
kilimanjaro

Should be right there with the EpiPen.