The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 6, 2013, 07:21 PM   #1
coolhand35

Taurus model 82 .38 special problem

I just bought a used model 82 from gander mountain. The reason i bought it is cause they had it at a good price. After purchasing it i went to the indoor range and put about 150 rounds through it. The problem i was having was sometimes when i would push the cylider in it would sometimes not want to go in smoothly so i had to force it in to lock like something was stoping it from going in but it did not happen every time. Also sometimes while i was firing it in double action it would sometimes be very hard to pull before it fired almost like it was hanging up and it also would happen every time. Has anyone heard of this issue or experienced themselves? If so any comments would be very appreciated...Thanx!!
Old January 7, 2013, 02:37 AM   #2
warningshot

oh yea.

I've heard of multiple serious problems with Taurus revolvers before; even just a few more than you mentioned. Good Luck.
Old January 7, 2013, 07:17 AM   #3
Kreyzhorse

Possible fouling under the ejection star? Check that and clean it well. That may take care of the problem.

If that doesn't take care of it, Taurus often has issues with the forcing cone causing binding. My Taurus M85 had the same issues as you describe. After the issues and then dealing with Taurus's wonderful customer service, I no longer trusted the gun so I sold it.

Anyway, if a good cleaning doesn't work, try giving Taurus a call. Good luck.
Old January 7, 2013, 08:10 AM   #4
PetahW

Now you know why the price was so "good" - a reason to buy on "quality", rather than on "price".

Just a clue - I once sold a brand-new, but troublesome, Taurus revolver - instead of dealing with the notorious Taurus Customer Service thing.

"IF" you're handy, dis-assemble it, & give the insides a good cleaning, being sure to inspect for little bits & shreds of metal left in there during manufacture, that were never cleaned out.

Old January 7, 2013, 08:49 AM   #5
mega twin

If you don.t have a manual,I would get one before you take it apart,if you are not familiar with the procedure.
The Taurusarmed.net site has a lot of good info,and may have a tutorial for your gun.
Good luck,and keep us posted.
Old January 7, 2013, 10:26 AM   #6
CajunBass

I've had revolvers that did the same thing. But they weren't Taurus. One was a Ruger, the other a Colt.

I'd give it a good cleaning. Someone else has mentioned cleaning under the ejector star. Someone else mentioned the forcing cone. Clean those well, especially the forcing cone. I've seen a build up of bullet lube and lead that would cause the cylinder to bind there. Clean the front to the cylinder well too. The Colt I mentioned, I had to take a brass brush (lightly) to the forcing cone area to get the crud off it. Never had a bit of trouble with it again.

Flush the internals with gunscrubber, and give it a few drops of oil. Put a drop or two on the ejector rod and hopefully, you'll be good to go.

I had one of those Taurus 38's back in the day. I forget the Model number, but it was an 80, 82...something like that. Fixed sight, more or less Model 10 copy. Good shooting gun, but man that thing had some UGLY grips.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 7, 2013, 09:44 PM   #7
Budda

Love my Taurus. 38 never had a problem and shoots better than my Smith bodyguard.
Old January 9, 2013, 10:36 PM   #8
OkieCruffler

Give it a good cleaning if that doesn't fix it send it back to Taurus. I bought a 22 tracker awhile back that wouldn't turn the cylinder all the time when shooting. Sent it to Taurus expecting never to see it again with all the BS I've read online. Had it back in 8 working days, completely fixed, free of charge. Was so impressed I sent my 650 in to them. Nothing wrong with it other than it was getting alittle play in the cylinder after thousands of rounds of hot 357. Granted it took them 14 days on it but once again, returned good as new and free of charge.