The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 12, 2011, 02:19 PM   #26
FrontSight

Quote:
One of the bennies of bringing the kiddoes along is that when you need an extra hand or 6, you have them. They may not be strong hands, but keep this in mind: They will be, and your strength will fade eventually...... will they be with you then? That depends entirely on where they are now.

So very true! But then again, a headlamp and a winch system, as in the video above, work wonders! LOL
Old April 12, 2011, 05:13 PM   #27
Gbro

All that hair on that carcass with the winch will require a large dose of the above.
Old April 12, 2011, 05:27 PM   #28
FrontSight

Quote:
All that hair on that carcass with the winch will require a large dose of the above.
LOL, true, but if you do it while hanging instead of on the ground it will be much better...
Old April 12, 2011, 09:39 PM   #29
treg

I've done enough of 'em to get a pretty good system down, but I do a good job and don't care how long it takes.

Like 99.9% of the "info" in Outdoor Life and Field and Stream, useless.
Old April 13, 2011, 02:50 AM   #30
HiBC

I do not mean this as a put down on the demonstration,its about what hunting means to me.There is a certain respect for things,...
Something about this just isn't my style.But,thats just me.
Old April 13, 2011, 03:52 AM   #31
shortwave

Quote:
I've dressed a few while holding a mini-maglight in my mouth, but its not fun.
Try getting one of the 'miner' style lights that fit on your head. Free's both hands. They work great for gutting deer recovered in the dark.
Old April 13, 2011, 05:35 AM   #32
Hawg

Quote:
The question is missing a vital piece of information - are dears in season and do I have a tag?
Dears are always in season, no tag required.
Old April 13, 2011, 06:07 AM   #33
shortwave

^

Also, Sometimes you just can't tag them no matter how hard you try.
Old April 13, 2011, 04:42 PM   #34
markj

Oh about as fast as I can do a hog, steer, or any other large animal. I have had a lot of practise in my life. Tools is key, bad tools bad job.
Old April 13, 2011, 06:50 PM   #35
jimbob86

Quote:
Try getting one of the 'miner' style lights that fit on your head. Free's both hands. They work great for gutting deer recovered in the dark.
They are also annoying as hell if someone is wearing one and looks at you ....make ya want to wear sunglasses at night.